Popular Tags: [View All]
Christopher DeFrisco
United States
Ashland
Oregon
flag msg tools
Ah, negative. I am a meat popsicle.
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a bad example, as the player would instead shoot directly for a possible 20 point shot.

However, if this were to occur:
1. No other opponents on the board.
2. Disk A gets flicked and hits disk B (same color/team).
3. Disk A rebounds and ends up outside the 15-point circle.
4. Disk B is pushed and enters the 15-point circle.

Does A get ditched?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Swood
United States
Stamford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good question.

I'm not sure if I am officially correct, but I would play that the disc being shot (disk A) must at least touch the 15-point line or get ditched. What happens to disk B is irrelevant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher DeFrisco
United States
Ashland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's how we are playing it currently, but an "official" ruling will help with any possible marital disputes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Mayer
United States
Arcadia
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

According to the WCC rules, it's a good shot and it's not ditched:

http://www.worldcrokinole.com/rules.html

(Rule 11b)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Swood
United States
Stamford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mike Mayer wrote:

(Rule 11b)

Yep, I just saw that. The shot as described is legal, and is referred to as a "raised" shot.

Very cool.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher DeFrisco
United States
Ashland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mike Mayer wrote:

(Rule 11b)

Very cool indeed (and contrary to the way we've been playing!).

Thanks
!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McEvoy
Canada
Mountain
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
It's a relatively recent addition to the WCC rules (allowing the 'raised shot'.) The WCC rules as they existed in 2005 had no mention of that shot being legal (though it made no specific reference as to what would happen to the contacted piece, the shooter itself was, by 2005 rules, subject to be ditched).

http://web.archive.org/web/20050208103303/http://www.worldcrokinole.com/rules.html
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Calm Fluffy Bunnies
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Skadar wrote:
Mike Mayer wrote:

(Rule 11b)

Yep, I just saw that. The shot as described is legal, and is referred to as a "raised" shot.

Very cool.

I'm not quite so sure. The B disc is already touching the 15 line to start, so I don't think pushing it into the 15 ring fulfills the requirements of rule 11.

My inclination would be to remove both A and B from the board in this situation. If B had been completely in the 10 ring previously and was advanced into the 15 ring by A it would qualify as a "raise" shot, but I think B's starting position prevents this in the diagrammed case...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King of the Dead
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
grayskale wrote:
Skadar wrote:
Mike Mayer wrote:

(Rule 11b)

Very cool.

I'm not quite so sure. The B disc is already touching the 15 line to start, so I don't think pushing it into the 15 ring fulfills the requirements of rule 11.

My inclination would be to remove both A and B from the board in this situation. If B had been completely in the 10 ring previously and was advanced into the 15 ring by A it would qualify as a "raise" shot, but I think B's starting position prevents this in the diagrammed case...

I believe you aren't reading the diagram correctly.

The B disc IS entirely in the 10 ring to start and gets pushed to touching the 15 ring.

We've certainly not been playing with the raised shot rule so far. In the above example the B disc would stay while the A disc would be removed according to the way we've always played.

I suppose this would be a good rule to impliment but I don't know that we would remember it and the old rules have served well so far.

I'm actually playing this tonight after almost a year without. I'll "raise" the subject and see how it goes over.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Calm Fluffy Bunnies
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nazhuret wrote:
grayskale wrote:
Skadar wrote:
Mike Mayer wrote:

(Rule 11b)

Very cool.

I believe you aren't reading the diagram correctly.

The B disc IS entirely in the 10 ring to start and gets pushed to touching the 15 ring.

We've certainly not been playing with the raised shot rule so far. In the above example the B disc would stay while the A disc would be removed according to the way we've always played.

I suppose this would be a good rule to impliment but I don't know that we would remember it and the old rules have served well so far.

I'm actually playing this tonight after almost a year without. I'll "raise" the subject and see how it goes over.

You're right, I was misreading the labeled positions as starts rather than finishes for some reason and making the situation unnecessarily complicated...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher DeFrisco
United States
Ashland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you all for your timely and very informative input!
My apologies for not making the image quite as clear as it could have been.

Here's an updated version, hopefully clearing up any misunderstanding with my question. It sounds as though this is a "relatively" new ruling, but one that I like and we'll start using (ie not ditching A)!

Thanks again!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Calm Fluffy Bunnies
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One thing to note on the raise-shots: there is an added risk.

If you fail to raise a disk to an appropriate area, the shot disk and all contacted discs are ditched. In the example image, if the B disc doesn't end touching the 15 line or better, both A and B discs would be ditched.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Zurfluh
United States
Cranbury
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
None of the discs was within the 15-scoring zone before the shot.

After the shot you got one to touch the 15-scoring zone. It's all good! That's all that matters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.