Matt Albritton
United States
Tupelo
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I recently got the 3rd Edition game and I am thoroughly enjoying some solo plays through and a shot at the Barbarian hordes (thanks David!)

I ran into some things that could use some clarification:

(1) Looking at Tim Seitz's card list, he lists "Strategic Territory" as giving three military cards. My copy of "Strategic Territory" shows five cards. Is this a 3rd edition correction or is there a printing error? What exactly does this card grant you?

(2) Rule number 31 of the Barbarian solo game says to "skip the Production and Maintenance phase of the last turn". Does this mean you intentionally want us to skip the normal point scoring in the last turn? I went ahead and scored the last round and won by a lot, so now I'm wondering.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen Doum
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The first FRED printing show 5 cards as the immediate reward, 4 Strength as the continuing effect.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are two "Strategic Territory" cards, one in Age I and one in Age II.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Albritton
United States
Tupelo
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks! The Age One version didn't show up in the game so I had no reason to think that another one existed.

I also wanted to be "surprised" as to what was in the decks while playing and didn't look at any cards beforehand.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Barry
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kubigaruma wrote:
(2) Rule number 31 of the Barbarian solo game says to "skip the Production and Maintenance phase of the last turn". Does this mean you intentionally want us to skip the normal point scoring in the last turn? I went ahead and scored the last round and won by a lot, so now I'm wondering.

Sorry about the confusion. No, this was not meant to imply that you skip scoring, just the food and resource production and consumption part of your last turn. My intention was to try find ways to speed up gameplay where possible, and this seemed like an obvious target.

Glad you had fun and "won" - I'm often challenged with meeting the final points goal myself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Albritton
United States
Tupelo
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well that first game was with the "zero start" Barbarians that have no cards. I just finished a game with the "one start" Barbarians and the two colonization card bonus and got my butt handed to me on a platter!

I managed to top their strength in that second game, but put up a pathetic 102 culture points. Two hordes grabbed early territories while the other picked up a couple of tactics and hit me with an aggression. I burned to block, but found myself playing "catch up" all game. This game was actually more fun than the easy win from the first game. I'll be playing this for a while, I think.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.