Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Frank Hussey
United States
Olympia
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm looking for advice on what next Euro games I should buy. There are a number which look interesting, but not very many have convinced me recently. Part of the problem is that I have just enough games that I've got a few auction games, I've got a few area control games, etc. and to get another game with similar mechanisms I want it to really distinguish itself.

For reference, my favorite non-wargames have been: Roborally, Fearsome Floors, Pandemic, Hansa, Dungeon Twister, El Grande and Traders of Genoa (but only one play of that). I also enjoy Princes of Florence, Agricola, Galaxy Trucker and Power Grid. Oh, and I loved the one crayon rail game I got to play.
Games I'm looking forward to getting include Steam, Tales of the Arabian Nights, Lords of the Spanish Main, and anything by Friedmann Friese.

I love novelty and innovation in a game and I tend a little more to the tactical than strategic. Games I'm considering are Mykerinos, Confucius, Master Builder and A Castle For All Seasons. So I'd love to hear comments on those games but I'm very open to other suggestions. Thanks much for your advice!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ferejohn
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
Pitying fools as hard as I can...
mbmbmbmbmb
Your list (and your ratings) are devoid of worker placement or role selection games, so it might be worth checking one out just to see if you enjoy the genre. Puerto Rico, Race for the Galaxy, Caylus Magna Carta, or Agricola could all be places to start.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Hussey
United States
Olympia
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Chris. Unfortunately, my ratings are a bit out of date and I've played lots of stuff I haven't rated yet.

I do own Caylus and Agricola and like both of those -- though I haven't got to play Caylus nearly enough to be sure what I think. No need to buy Puerto Rico as several friends own it. And I'm one of those strange creatures who was left unmoved by Race for the Galaxy.

I do like the worker placement mechanic just fine though, and some of the games I'm looking at use that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henrik Lantz
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hermagor is a great game that is pretty different from anything you list. And from anything else. There are some similarites to Elfenland, but I much prefer Hermagor. The players aquire goods in a market mini game first (I really like this part) and then try to deliver these goods on a map as economically as possible (the players want to move as short distances as possible). The competetion for the wares is fierce, and there are many ways to score points with the players having to balance between concentrating in a few areas or picking a few points here and there.

Really good game and quite unique. thumbsup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henrik Lantz
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just a comment about Mykerinos as well (which is the only game of the one you mention that I have tried).

This is a very clean design with a very thin attachment to theme. This is the poster boy of the euro "cube pusher" if there ever was one. It is a fairly clever area majority game which does manage to feel pretty different and also plays rather quickly. This game should never play over an hour, even with five players. The players try to achieve majority on some small desert tiles and also try to get their "finds" (cubes) into the museum for display. This requires some clever play using powers given by different characters.

I like the game, but the theme was too obviously pasted on for me. It actually felt a bit abstract, and I don't like that. If that is no problem for you I would recommend it, since it is very balanced and rewards good play and does this in an hour.

Edit.(I likes the game...) Oops, my Gollum ancestry shows itself!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean
United States
Mechanicsburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
I don't want happiness by halves, nor is half of sorrow what I want. Yet there's a pillow I would share, where gently pressed against a cheek like a helpless star, a falling star, a ring glimmers on the finger of a hand.
mbmbmbmbmb
Of the four games you listed as considering I have only played Mykerinos. I didn't like it, it seemed to me as if it wasn't one thing or the other.
Games you may want to check out then would be In the year of the Dragon which isn't quite the standard Euro fare. Also check out In the shadow of the Emperor which has some neat things going on.
A castle for all seasons looks like an updated version of Pillars of the earth, which is a good worker placement, either try it or Cuba.
A good game that's always overlooked is Tempus by Martin Wallace, once you look past the whole building up a civ thing it's a good game.
Depending on your group Thurn and taxis may be too light, if so try Rheinlander, an early Knizia with some good scoring mechanics
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't see Stone Age listed anywhere here, so I feel compelled to add it. Great game.

As above, In the Year of the Dragon is also fun, and quite different than your usual fare.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dirk Liekens
Belgium
hechtel
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Heliconia wrote:
Of the four games you listed as considering I have only played Mykerinos. I didn't like it, it seemed to me as if it wasn't one thing or the other.
Games you may want to check out then would be In the year of the Dragon which isn't quite the standard Euro fare. Also check out In the shadow of the Emperor which has some neat things going on.
A castle for all seasons looks like an updated version of Pillars of the earth, which is a good worker placement, either try it or Cuba.
A good game that's always overlooked is Tempus by Martin Wallace, once you look past the whole building up a civ thing it's a good game.
Depending on your group Thurn and taxis may be too light, if so try Rheinlander, an early Knizia with some good scoring mechanics

I must agree upon most games suggested by Heliconia, especially Pillars of the Earth, Cuba and In the Shadow of the Emperor.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hincapie wrote:
I must agree upon most games suggested by Heliconia, ... In the Shadow of the Emperor.

Already on his owned list.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JP LaChance
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hermagor is a game I'd recommend

you like RoboRally, I think Space Alert would be a hit

you like Pandemic, I'd recommend Ghost Stories

you should have a worker placement game, Le Havre, Agricola are 2 of the best.

I have not played any of the games on your list

best of luck
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Hussey
United States
Olympia
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks guys!

Yeah, I didn't list Shadow of the Emperor but it's also one I quite like -- just haven't played it in too long.

I enjoy both light and heavy games but Thurn & Taxis, while a solid game, just didn't particularly catch my interest. I've got a friend who owns it and that's good enough.

I don't doubt that Tempus isn't one of Wallace's strongest games but I agree that it's still pretty great. It's not a favorite but I've had a few really fun games with it. I just always wish the advancements had more impact -- but if they did it would probably be unbalancing. Sorry to get all wishy-washy there, but I'm pretty wishy-washy on the game. I've played games of it where I felt somewhat in control of my destiny and others where I felt I was just flailing.

The only other Wallace I've played is the giant Conquest of the Empire version of his Struggle of Empires. I've liked that but haven't got to play it much due to the giant board and my medium size table. It's amazing how the map doesn't have enough space for where the action is actually happening (usually around Italy) even though it is this ginormous board.

Hermigor and In the Year of the Dragon both sound like good suggestions. I'll read up on them. Ghost Stories also sounds interesting as does Red November.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Diego Bliny
Switzerland
flag msg tools
What about Kingsburg? http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/27162.

It's really tactical and with much less luck factor than Stone Age.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matteo Badinelli
Italy
Lonato
Brescia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My personal advice is for Confucius: mechanics are nothing new but the way all elements interact and especially the rules for gifts make this a very good strategic game. A warning don't try this with new or inexperienced gamers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Diego Bliny
Switzerland
flag msg tools
Pennicillina wrote:
My personal advice is for Confucius: mechanics are nothing new but the way all elements interact and especially the rules for gifts make this a very good strategic game. A warning don't try this with new or inexperienced gamers.

Don't know about this game... what kind of game it is? Does it have a page here on boardgamegeek?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, it has a page. That's what the helpful search function at the top of the page is for. For you, Drachenäscht in Bern have a copy on the shelf.

B>
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Ku
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
"You can spend all your time making money / Or you can spend all your love making time."
mbmbmbmbmb
Good god...two suggestions of Hermagor. Clearly, some people like it. I'd rather EAT the game than play it again. Then again, I'll eat anything.

If you like Roborally, see if you can get a copy of Factory Fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ferejohn
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
Pitying fools as hard as I can...
mbmbmbmbmb
futhee wrote:
Good god...two suggestions of Hermagor. Clearly, some people like it. I'd rather EAT the game than play it again. Then again, I'll eat anything.

Also: it's made of cheese.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matteo Badinelli
Italy
Lonato
Brescia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DBliny wrote:
Pennicillina wrote:

Don't know about this game... what kind of game it is? Does it have a page here on boardgamegeek?

Here it is http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/32014

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Hussey
United States
Olympia
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, Confucius looks really clever to me.

And I'd LOVE to get Factory Fun. But I think it is long OOP.

I think the name of Kingsburg just sounded like "generic eurogame" to me and so I hadn't been interested. But I'll check it out.

Thanks again to everyone!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.