Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Step 1 is to activate exitsing ships based on the icons. This refers to a section of the rules which also states stuff like:

"If there are no raiders on the game board when raiders are activated, two raiders are launched from each basestar. If there are no basestars in play, then nothing happens."

Do you skip this part for step 1 because it says "Activate Existing Cylon Ships"?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tokelau
Alaska
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I interpreted it as activating existing units on the board before you place the new basestars, raiders and heavy raiders.

So say you have no raiders on the board, you draw a cyclon crisis card and it says:

Step 1. Activate Cylon raiders.
Step 2. Place a basestar and 3 cyclon raiders on the board.

This means I would do nothing in step 1 and then place the units in step 2 but don't activate them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Smith
United States
Troy
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tibbs2 wrote:
I interpreted it as activating existing units on the board before you place the new basestars, raiders and heavy raiders.

So say you have no raiders on the board, you draw a cyclon crisis card and it says:

This means I would do nothing in step 1 and then place the units in step 2 but don't activate them.

I disagree. I would follow the rules in the rulebook for activating cylon ships. So, if the cylon attack card first said to activate raiders, I would use the following decision tree as described in the rules:
1. Activate all existing raiders. If none exist,
2. Have each basestar launch 2 raiders. If no basestars exist,
3. Do nothing.

Then proceed to the next step of the cylon attack card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tokelau
Alaska
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mvettemagred wrote:
tibbs2 wrote:

I disagree. I would follow the rules in the rulebook for activating cylon ships. So, if the cylon attack card first said to activate raiders, I would use the following decision tree as described in the rules:
1. Activate all existing raiders. If none exist,
2. Have each basestar launch 2 raiders. If no basestars exist,
3. Do nothing.

Then proceed to the next step of the cylon attack card.

I think we are on the same wavelength here. I failed to mention that I am assuming there are no raiders or basestars already existing on the board prior to this card.

If there were existing basestars before you placed any from the card on step 2 then yes you would launch cylon raiders, but if there are no basestars on the board prior to step 2 then no raiders are launched or moved.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tibbs2 wrote:
I think we are on the same wavelength here.

Actually, it sounds like you disagree. Say there's just a single basestar on the board and no raiders. You draw a Cylon Attack card with the raider icon on step 1. Do you add raiders (per the raider activation rules) or do nothing (per the cylon attack card rule implication).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Smith
United States
Troy
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ekted wrote:
tibbs2 wrote:
I think we are on the same wavelength here.

Actually, it sounds like you disagree. Say there's just a single basestar on the board and no raiders. You draw a Cylon Attack card with the raider icon on step 1. Do you add raiders (per the raider activation rules) or do nothing (per the cylon attack card rule implication).

Again, I would say the pre-existing basestar would launch two raiders, but I'll have to check my game manual when I get home. However, I don't know why the game designers would have made the activation symbol work one way for event/skill check crisis cards and a different way for cylon attack crisis cards. For simplicity sake, when you see that symbol on a crisis card, it makes sense to me that you would always follow the same activation process.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Me too. It's just that it seems odd that you could spawn a bunch of new ships and then add even more of them in the same turn. Why did they say "existing" in the rules if it's supposed to be a normal activation?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
Crystal Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ekted wrote:
Me too. It's just that it seems odd that you could spawn a bunch of new ships and then add even more of them in the same turn. Why did they say "existing" in the rules if it's supposed to be a normal activation?

Because if they didn't do it that way and with some sequence, some bright spark would add all the ships to the map, then do the activations and actually use the new ships to roll dice. That's not the intent, so the existing ships fire/move per normal rules as specified on the card, launch more new ships per the sequence on the card, and then the reinforcements arrive.

With the artwork at the top, it wouldn't be hard for that to happen without clear directions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Yeller
United States
flag msg tools
The rulebook states that, when performing the actions on a Cylon Attack card, under the Activate Existing Cylon Ships step:

"...they are activated from left to right, following standard activation rules (see Activating Cylon Ships below)." (p. 22)

That pretty much settles this little issue right there. If there is a basestar in the area and no raiders are present, you would launch additional raiders exactly as you would on a normal raider activation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.