Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
D a n _ C
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Will the results of the card design contest be posted somewhere?

Just wondering.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Lehmann
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
In the 2nd expansion rules. Some of the submitted entries have been shifted into consideration for the next contest, as we felt they fit better with the 3rd than the 2nd expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendon Russell
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tom Lehmann wrote:
Some of the submitted entries have been shifted into consideration for the next contest, as we felt they fit better with the 3rd than the 2nd expansion.

Can you give us any idea of what the 3rd expansion may bring, or what the general theme(s) may be? I've seen hints and titbits of information about what the 2nd expansion will contain, but nothing about the 3rd other than its existence. In fact at one time you said there wouldn't be any more than 2 expansions (http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/2112388#2112388 - I realise this statement was made before you were asked to design a 3rd expansion).

I ask this question partly of course because I'm a big fan of the game and curious to know about its future direction, but also because I'm currently experimenting with card ideas that I may submit for consideration in the 3rd expansion (as it'll be too late for the 2nd). Some of my ideas have been inspired by what little I know about the 2nd expansion.

Something similar to this is all I'm thinking of: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/2114074#2114074

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Lehmann
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Thanks for your interest. However, right now Wei-Hwa and I are spending a *lot* of time playtesting the contest cards and trying to put expansion #2 to bed (lots of proofing, plus translation issues).

After that's done and I submit a preview article to expansion #2, then I will probably drop some hints for expansion #3. However, I have lots of projects right now (Pandemic expansion, a commissioned design, and several other games going out to pubishers), all of which are competing for my time.

The other factor is just getting more playtests and tuning of expansion #3 in. When RFTG first came out, we had already playtested expansion #2 for 2.5 years (and expansion #1 for 3.5 years). So, we could drop some hints with assurance that nothing much would change. With expansion #3, it's been pretty stable for 4-6 months, but we're still tweaking it a fair bit as we get more playtest experience in. So, we're letting it mature a bit longer before we start talking about it.

In particular, for the last month, most of our playtesting has been without expansion 3 as we test contest cards. We'll be returning to expansion 3 in a few weeks with (re)fresh(ed) eyes.

Hope this insight helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendon Russell
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd heard a Pandemic expansion was coming out, but I had no idea you were involved! I'm looking forward to it even more now

In the meantime I'll just have to keep designing expansion 2 the way *I* want it

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krister Dahlgren
Sweden
Gävle
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
However, right now Wei-Hwa and I are spending a *lot* of time playtesting the contest cards and trying to put expansion #2 to bed (lots of proofing, plus translation issues)

What's there to translate? Symbols ftw

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Lehmann
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Uh... rules? card titles?

Some of the translators have little science fiction background, so they ask me what a given title means so they can come up with an equivalent title in their language.

For example, "Blaster Runners", where "Runner", in English in this context, means someone running a blockade; a type of smuggler, not a racer. Similarly, most people with an SF background will understand that "blasters" are futuristic guns.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krister Dahlgren
Sweden
Gävle
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dangit, it seems my smiley didn't work, it was there to emphasize that my comment was meant to be taken as a joke.

I realize that there is a lot of work with the translations and to get it correct from the start. Poorly translated game rules, books or movie subtitles are really frustrating.

So, keep up the good work! This game sees a lot of action with our group; looking forward to the next expansion!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Guy
United States
West Chester
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Speaking of cards, I'm surprised people haven't been posting there own card ideas, or even images of cards they've made using the blanks.

Or am I the only one who has made use of his blanks from Expansion 1?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Galen
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sbarrera wrote:
Speaking of cards, I'm surprised people haven't been posting there own card ideas, or even images of cards they've made using the blanks.

Are they posted?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Guy
United States
West Chester
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
galeninjapan wrote:
sbarrera wrote:

Are they posted?

No...

I was hesitant because of the contest and because, well, no one else had done it...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tommy Rikberg
Finland
Espoo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sbarrera wrote:
galeninjapan wrote:
sbarrera wrote:

Are they posted?

No...

I was hesitant because of the contest and because, well, no one else had done it...

There's this GeekList for a start.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Guy
United States
West Chester
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tom Lehmann wrote:
Thanks for your interest. However, right now Wei-Hwa and I are spending a *lot* of time playtesting

Tom, I'm curious; when you playtest, do you set up hands with the new cards, trying them out in combos with other cards that seem obvious? Or do you just mix them in the deck and see what happens? How many games do you play to feel like a card or cards have been tested thouroughly?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Lehmann
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Just mix them in; then watch to see which cards are popular and which seem too powerful or too specialized. Adjust and continue to monitor. Then, iterate, removing cards which don't seem to work, adding new contest cards as they came in; then, finally, taking the top contenders to other groups and double-checking the results of the several main playtest groups. Cards vary in how many playtests are needed to decide on a card -- after 5 or 10 plays, it can be obvious that a card is too specialized or too powerful; but it can take 50 or so games to know that a card is just right.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Franklin
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
Tom, Given the number of submissions (none from me), are you seeing new ideas where even though the card is too powerful or specialized, the idea behind the card warrants further development?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Lehmann
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Yes; that's part of what made the contest take a lot longer and much more work than Wei-Hwa and I anticipated. We often spent 1/2 hour per submission debating whether the underlying card idea could be adapted in some way to work and, in some cases, mocked up new cards based on a submission idea and tested them.

One of the two first contest winners was heavily adapted from the submitted idea (adapted power, new cost, new power, new VPs, new title) while the other was lightly tweaked (we adjusted one number from 2 to 3 and modified the tentative title along the lines of its submission comments).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.