Galaxy Trucker» Forums » Rules

Subject: Which pieces fall off with a lost piece? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Not really Ryan Leaf
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
How do you determine which pieces are taken with the lost piece when resolving damage?

My assumption is that if there are any pieces that are connected ONLY to the lost piece (and no other pieces on the ship), it is lost.... and any other pieces that are connected to the other lost pieces as well.

Is that right?

I hope this isn't too confusing...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Earles
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RyanLeaf wrote:
How do you determine which pieces are taken with the lost piece when resolving damage?

My assumption is that if there are any pieces that are connected ONLY to the lost piece (and no other pieces on the ship), it is lost.... and any other pieces that are connected to the other lost pieces as well.

Is that right?

I hope this isn't too confusing...

I think you have it.

Basically, remove the piece that was struck. If, after that piece is removed, any other pieces are now "invalid" (as per the piece placement rules) remove those pieces. Repeat until your ship is "valid". If in the course of doing this your ship is split in two, you may chose which piece to pilot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Simas
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If I understand what you are staying, I believe you are correct.

If you lose a piece, take a look at your ship. If you have two (or more) separate entities now, choose one. That's your new ship and the rest are lost.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Not really Ryan Leaf
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
so, say you have a container on the outside that gets taken out by a large asteroid and just underneath it, there is another piece... and that piece is connected to both the destroyed container and an interior piece.... in this case, just the container gets taken away.

however, if the piece below the destroyed container weren't connect to an interior piece, it too would be taken away.

is this correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jae
United States
Bryan
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RyanLeaf wrote:
so, say you have a container on the outside that gets taken out by a large asteroid and just underneath it, there is another piece... and that piece is connected to both the destroyed container and an interior piece.... in this case, just the container gets taken away.

however, if the piece below the destroyed container weren't connect to an interior piece, it too would be taken away.

is this correct?

aye.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven S
Canada
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Yes, that's correct.

Anything no longer directly connected to the main mass of the ship is removed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Davis
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The most hysterical application of this rule came in when a sabotage roll removed the 7,7 piece from a player's ship. (Not mine, which is why it was so funny.)

Turns out that it was the only piece holding two halves of the ship together....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph de Jesus
United States
Redwood City
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jearles wrote:
If in the course of doing this your ship is split in two, you may chose which piece to pilot.

Let me get this straight, as it still confuses me - the "main body" of your ship is always determined by the pieces connected to the pilot's cabin, right? So say your ship gets separated into two sections. Even if the section containing the pilot's cabin is much smaller than the other section, you have to keep the section with the pilot's cabin and lose the larger piece. Is this correct? Or can you just ditch the piece with the pilot's cabin and keep the larger section arbitrarily?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McEvoy
Canada
Mountain
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
There's nothing special about your central crew cabin, other than the fact that it can't house an alien. When your ship splits you can choose any piece to be your continuing ship, and the rest becomes space junk (expensive space junk).

You can ditch the pilot's cabin if you'd like.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
You can't handle the truth?
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
schlaghund wrote:
jearles wrote:
If in the course of doing this your ship is split in two, you may chose which piece to pilot.

Let me get this straight, as it still confuses me - the "main body" of your ship is always determined by the pieces connected to the pilot's cabin, right? So say your ship gets separated into two sections. Even if the section containing the pilot's cabin is much smaller than the other section, you have to keep the section with the pilot's cabin and lose the larger piece. Is this correct? Or can you just ditch the piece with the pilot's cabin and keep the larger section arbitrarily?

If your ship is in more than one section, you choose which section to pilot. It is all up to you, you can choose any section you want. You don't have to make any decisions based upon the location of your starting piece.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph de Jesus
United States
Redwood City
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh okay. Thanks for clearing that up for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bell
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You also always get this choice no matter how major or minor the damage was. If a piece gets knocked off and leaves a single laser unconnected, you are free to choose to keep just the engine and abandon the rest of the ship if you want. You wouldn't, but you can.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Tolin
United States
Beaumont
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Chipacabra wrote:
You also always get this choice no matter how major or minor the damage was. If a piece gets knocked off and leaves a single laser unconnected, you are free to choose to keep just the engine and abandon the rest of the ship if you want. You wouldn't, but you can.

This is incorrect. Your ship always has to have at least one crew cabin. If you ever run out of humans (which require a crew cabin), then you have to give up. See p. 14: Losing All Humans.

So, to clarify:

thatmarkguy wrote:
There's nothing special about your central crew cabin, other than the fact that it can't house an alien. When your ship splits you can choose any piece to be your continuing ship, and the rest becomes space junk (expensive space junk).

You can ditch the pilot's cabin if you'd like.

This is absolutely correct (I think), unless there is no crew cabin (with humans) on the section you decide to keep.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McEvoy
Canada
Mountain
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
As I understand it, you're perfectly well allowed to keep your 'main' section as a section with no crew. Of course, you'd be forced to Give Up as soon as the current adventure card completes, but it is your choice. There are (rare) circumstances where there's more profit (or, at least, less capital loss ) to be made by giving up, forfeiting any race-finishing rewards, and selling your goods on the unmanned cargo drone for half price (then paying for your lost ship components) ... rather than keeping a largely-cargoless-but-manned pod and flying it in for virtually no payoff and huge penalties.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Tolin
United States
Beaumont
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreed. The broader point, though, is that you can't pilot an unmanned ship to the finish.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.