Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John W
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In the game description for Spoons, it lists "You pull from a regular deck of cards 4 of a kind for each person playing. Shuffle those all together and deal them out so each person has 4 cards. "

However, in the rules at Patch products in the Links section, it says there's a deck of 54 cards, and doesn't describe any setup about taking cards out to match the # of players.
It also mentions the dealer picking up more cards from the deck, but then says the other players should simultaneously take the card from the player on their right.
How is that possible if the dealer passes his unwanted card left first?

(As an aside, the game description changes subjects near the end and starts describing the game of "Pig".)

Can anyone confirm what the rules are for Spoons?
It seems the gameplay would be radically different between a 4-player game with 16 cards in the deck, and 54 cards.....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Rice
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Spoons is one of those games that there are numerous different rulesets and ways to play. Pick the one you enjoy the most and stick with it. I find that our games usually just culminate into mass chaos by the end anyways, particularly since we generally play quite physically where a person who legally grabs a spoon will often grab one and sweep a number of other spoons onto the floor and such....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John W
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So which ruleset do you use?

And how could the Patch rules work, since the dealer draws first, but it specifies that all player pick-ups should be simultaneous?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barbara Uebelacker
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Spoons is one of those games that have been around forever, and because of that, there are various versions of the game. Our Patch Products version is played with a full deck of cards. All players are dealt 4 cards, and the remaining cards are placed in a stack that the dealer will draw from. If you're the dealer, take the top card from the stack and then decide whether you want to keep the card or pass it along to the player on your left. If you choose to keep the card, add that card to your hand and pick a different card from your hand to pass along to the player on your left. That player then picks up the card that you discarded and decides whether to keep it or pass it along the circle. So after the game gets started, everyone's picking up cards and discarding them at the same time, which adds to the fun. It also makes it difficult to keep an eye on the spoons. As soon as someone gets 4 of a kind, the spoons will start disappearing fast. You don't want to be the player without one!
Let me know if you have any other questions about Spoons.
Barbara Uebelacker, public relations manager at Patch Products
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John W
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the info, Barbara!

To clarify - each player waits for the person to their right to give them a card that they decide on, then once everyone has gone once around and the last player is about to hand the dealer a card, at which point he.....

That still doesn't make any sense to me.

Either the players are passing at the same time, or they are going sequentially.

If they are passing at the same time, there's a big card problem- namely;

a) how do all players get 4 cards before choosing one to discard
b) how do new cards get in the game, if the dealer is taking the card from the (last-in-line) player to his right? If no new cards get in the mix, it's very likely no player will be able to make a 4-card match.

If they are passing sequentially, based on your description, that could only happen during the first turn till it goes back round to the dealer. At which point, does the dealer have to take the players card on his right, or can he choose to pull from the deck?

Also, a standard deck is 52 cards.
Why are there 54 cards in Spoons?
Does it include the jokers, for some reason?

This has to be a lot easier than I'm playing it....
have you played it, Barbara?

(BTW - you may be already taking advantage of this, but - if you want to be notified of all Patch Products posts on BGG, just add each game to your collection with the + and then click the "Notify of new content" box and you'll get an Geekmail/email whenever anyone adds to them. I'd guess an active PR manager who monitors Patch Products games might be able to use that feature.... )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Jackson
United States
Mather
California
flag msg tools
OK, one time Randy Beaman had to take baths with his brother. So one time his little brother took a potty in the bathtub .....and now Randy Beaman gets to take showers alone. 'K, bye.
badge
One time, OK, see, one time Randy Beaman's little brother ate Pop Rocks and drank a soda at the same time and his head exploded! 'K, bye.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey John,

I've played my fair share of 'homebrew' spoons and here's what we did (which sounds very similar to Barbara's Patch Products version):

Dealer = P1
Player to the left of dealer = P2
Player to the left of P2 = P3
Etc.

1) Deal each player 4 cards from a full deck of 52 playing cards.
2) To begin the game, P1 takes the top card from the deck then decides to either place it in his hand and discard a different card OR discard the newly drawn card. P1 then grabs the next top card of the deck and continues this action.
3) Meanwhile, P2 begins playing once P1 has discarded a card. His game play is identical to P1 - draw a card and discard a card - only the card he draws is P1's discard.
4) Meanwhile P3 begins playing once P2 has discarded a card. His game play is identical to P1 and P2 - draw a card and discard a card - only his card drawn is P2's discard.
5) This cycles continues until eventually all players are playing.

Where the fun and chaos comes from is the fact that not all players will draw and discard at the same speed. So P3 may be sitting and waiting for P2 to discard, P2 may have a stack of 10 cards to wade through.

I am not sure the game winning condition of the PAtch Product version, but our round ends like this:
Eventually, a player will get a 4 of a kind. When that happens, they may either abruptly grab a spoon making it quite obvious what they've done OR they may take the subtle approach and try to sneak a spoon. Either way, once a spoon has been taken, the last person to grab one is out of the game.

I assume the Patch Product version will NOT implement the following variant:
Any player may 'fake' grabbing a spoon. I can reach and slap my hand on the table near where the spoons are placed hoping someone else mistakenly grabs a spoon in reaction to my 'fake'. If you touch a spoon before someone has a four of a kind then you are out of the game.

This game is completely silly and in my experience, can get quite nasty with the grown-ups as they wrestle for spoons. I've even seen people hammer-fisting the table to dissuade other spoon-seekers away from their spoon.

You may (or maybe not) want to tone this down if playing with Michael - heh!

Hope this helps.

BTW - great hearing from you Barbara - it's always great seeing game publisher's following their product!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barbara Uebelacker
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Jeff, that's a great explanation of the game play. Also, I have played Spoons with the fake-out variation that you mentioned, and it really adds to the fun! Our Patch rules don't include that specific rule, but players can agree to add that house rule before the game starts.
And John, thanks for the tip about staying current on all the posts. I check the site often, but your suggestion will make it much easier.
Thanks, Barb

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Mierz
United States
Middletown
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My family's version: Dozens of old decks of cards (not even all normal playing cards - you can see Uno and Skip-Bo cards, at least, in the mix), hands of 5. It's extremely every-man-for-himself, and very intense. Blood is usually drawn in the first hand or two. Faking is a punishable offense - at the very least a letter, could be expulsion from the game, or even death*.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNwEy865fS4 shows us playing, albeit in questionable video quality.

* This hasn't happened yet, but I wouldn't count it out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John W
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A HA!
The dealer keeps drawing cards while player 2 picks up his - THAT's the vital rule that's been missing. Thanks, Jeff! thumbsup

So I think the only ambiguity that needs clearing up is:
What happens when the last player discards his to the dealer?
Does the dealer keep drawing from the deck, or does he now have to slow down to only the player to his right's pace?

And with 4 players, if everyone's keeping pace, that would only be 16 cards + 4 cards = 20 cards in the mix before Player 4 starts handing discards to the dealer. It would seem like no one getting a set of 4 cards would be likely.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Jackson
United States
Mather
California
flag msg tools
OK, one time Randy Beaman had to take baths with his brother. So one time his little brother took a potty in the bathtub .....and now Randy Beaman gets to take showers alone. 'K, bye.
badge
One time, OK, see, one time Randy Beaman's little brother ate Pop Rocks and drank a soda at the same time and his head exploded! 'K, bye.
mbmbmbmbmb
reapersaurus wrote:
So I think the only ambiguity that needs clearing up is:
What happens when the last player discards his to the dealer?
Does the dealer keep drawing from the deck, or does he now have to slow down to only the player to his right's pace?

The dealer continues drawing from the deck until it is exhausted, then he draws from the last player's discard pile.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schenck
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
GO BUCKS!
badge
Stop touching me!
mbmbmbmbmb
This seems very lopsided in favor of the dealer. The dealer will see a lot of cards by the time the last person in the line sees his first one. I guess rotating the dealer would help distribute the advantage, but I think that "seeding" everyone's draw pile with a couple of cards dealt from the deck might be the best way. That way, everyone starts seeing cards at the same time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.