Subject: What is exactly what here? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Thomas Tholén
Sweden
Norsborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a bit confused as to what is exactly the game and what are expansions here - or if it's even relevant.
There are two things here called Master Sets. And a lot of other entries that are called other things.

Am I right in that the game only consists of terrain and figures, and you could play with more or less as many or as few of both of those as you wish? So the status if game comes more or less down to which box contains the rules sheet, am I right?

Could someone clarify this?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mark sellmeyer
United States
st louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
there are 2 different master sets. one came out a four years ago. It has lots of terrain, figures and the dice and markers needed to play the game. It has all you need to get a good feel of the game. They came out with the new master set a year or two ago. It has everything the first one had, only with different or upgraded figures. They are both very good to get a feel of the game.

The expansions either give you a lot of special terrain, forests, ice, lava, jungle, etc. and a figure or three, or they give you some figures and a piece of terrain or three.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon
United States
Edmond
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
admin
Convention Committee
badge
BGG.CON! BGG.CON SPRING! BGG@SEA!
mbmbmbmbmb
There are two Master Sets, which each contain figures, terrain, dice, counters, scenarios, and complete rules.

The other sets are expansions. All expansions include figures. Some include some limited terrain (not enough to play), some include verious props for terrain (trees, roads, walls, etc.) that come with a few scenarios and rules to add on to the base rules in the Master Sets.

Start with one of the Master Sets, and add on whichever other sets (expansions and/or the other Master Set) to expand your choices in map- and army-building. The Master Sets are the best way to get more terrain and expand the size/complexity of the maps you can make, so the typical recommendation is to start with at least two master sets worth of terrain, then go for more figures from the expansions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Patterson
United States
Iowa City
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You can play with as much or (relatively speaking) as little terrain as you want. Each of the two master sets (well, three if you count the Marvel one) comes with some maps that use only the terrain in that set. If you go to a site such as Heroscapers.com, the user-made maps (if they haven't changed them) have typically been organized by how many master sets are required to build the given map. The individual maps may also require forest or lava terrain or whatever, but the main criterion for sorting the maps is how many master sets (usually Rise of the Valkyrie sets) were used.

A lot of the sessions are just x-point figure drafts. For example, if you have a 500-point limit (which is fairly common), each side would get individual heroes or squads whose point values totaled less than or equal to 500 points. I bring that up because unless you're playing one of the predefined scenarios in the master set, you can use whatever combination of figures you want on a side (as long as the other guy doesn't draft them first).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Walkingshaw
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Heroscape wiki page here on BGG has a nice breakdown of where every entry in the series fits.

Others have provided most of the information you need already, but I'd just like to add a few points.

First, getting one of the two Master Sets is more than just the getting one of the sets "with the rules" in it. Each set also includes all of the dice and counters that you'll need for play, and is by far the biggest source of terrain. Although you could get plenty of figures through expansions alone, it would be almost impossible to build a map without having at least one Master Set.

Unlike others, I don't have a strong opinion about which of the two main Master Sets is best (Rise of the Valkyrie, Swarm of the Marro). I think they are both great fun, and would give you an excellent feel for Heroscape.

Finally, the Marvel "Master Set" is a bit tricky. It doesn't contain nearly as much terrain as other sets, and is really more of a Marvel expansion (in my opinion) than a true Master Set, so I would not recommend starting with that unless your main draw to Heroscape is the Marvel characters.

Hope it all makes sense now!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Count
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
jpat and walkie mentioned Heroscape Marvel: The Conflict Begins. It doesn't have as much terrain as the other Master Sets, but it does contain the Rules, Dice, etc. that you need to play the game. That is the first set I bought because my son loved the Marvel Movies, and I bought the game to try after reading about HeroScape on BGG and thought I would give it a try with my son.

I have since purchased both Heroscape Master Set: Rise of the Valkyrie and Heroscape Master Set: Swarm of the Marro because my son (and me too) really enjoyed Heroscape Marvel: The Conflict Begins. Heroscape Master Set: Rise of the Valkyrie and Heroscape Master Set: Swarm of the Marro have more terrain peices, and they they go better with the theme of all the expansions. One of them is needed (IMHO) if you are going to get expansions. The Marvel set is okay for a starter set, and is good if you like Marvel characters, but they are really strong against the other characters (they are superheroes), so you want the other sets if you are going to play with the main theme characters.

HeroScape also hasn't supported the Marvel Set with expansions, and like already mentioned, doesn't have much terrain (It is still my 9 year old's favorite though).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.