Hey, I've created a video channel! Hover over my avatar to get more info! :) - Josh -
Canada
Cambridge
Ontario
flag msg tools
My video channel has a Facebook page - Find it by searching "Josh Yaks page" on Facebook
badge
Find my video channel on YouTube as "Josh Yaks"!
mbmbmbmbmb
I posted a thread asking how well Axis & Allies Anniversary Edition plays with just 2 players (http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/362932), and then a couple of other games that supposedly play well with 2 came to mind. So here are the main points I'd like to emphasize for this poll:

-I love large, "AT-style" games of conquest, such as Attack! Deluxe Expansion, Conquest of the Empire, Twilight Imperium (Third Edition). Ikusa, Joan of Arc
-games of this sort tend not to play well with only 2 players due to the "snowball effect" - as soon as one player starts to gain a noticeable lead in military units/territories/income, it becomes increasingly difficult for the other player to catch up
-supposedly there are a few games like this that do work well with 2 and I've listed all the ones of which I am aware (but feel free to add others in a comment)
-I do already get a great 2-player "monster conflict" fix from War of the Ring (First Edition), but I thought it might be fun to see what else is out there
-I am just as interested in hearing comments about 2-player experiences with these games as I am in the results of the poll, so don't hesitate to comment!

Poll: POLL: Conquest for 2
Choose your favourite, or add another in a comment below!
In your opinion, what is the best large, "AT-style" game of conquest that accommodates 5 or 6 players but also plays very well with just 2?
Axis & Allies Anniversary Edition
StarCraft: The Board Game
Viktory II
      22 answers
Poll created by squash

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Keuler
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A little off-topic, but I think Fortress America really fits this bill well. The snowball effect is mitigated somewhat by the nature of the game. Invaders are strong then get weaker, US is weaker then gets strong - who will maximize their "time." OOP and all, but worth a look see if you can get a change to play it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierce Ostrander
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Conquest of the Empire II is my favorite.

Use this "variant" for playing with two players, and it works great!

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/174761
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hey, I've created a video channel! Hover over my avatar to get more info! :) - Josh -
Canada
Cambridge
Ontario
flag msg tools
My video channel has a Facebook page - Find it by searching "Josh Yaks page" on Facebook
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rickkeuler wrote:
A little off-topic, but I think Fortress America really fits this bill well. The snowball effect is mitigated somewhat by the nature of the game. Invaders are strong then get weaker, US is weaker then gets strong - who will maximize their "time." OOP and all, but worth a look see if you can get a change to play it.

It's not off-topic at all - thanks for the suggestion!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Cambridge
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fubar awol wrote:
Conquest of the Empire II is my favorite.

Use this "variant" for playing with two players, and it works great!

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/174761

That looks brilliant - exactly what I was hoping to discover!! And the best part is, I already own the game!

I'm normally dead against 2-player variants that require the use of a dummy player, but in this case I really like the idea that a player could ally with a faction for a period of time, only to find him/herself fighting against it on a future turn. I'll have to give this a go sometime!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rickkeuler wrote:

Rick - I love FA, but the reason that I'll argue that it's not as good 2 player is this - with one player controlling all three invader factions, the tension that should otherwise exist between the invaders will be absent. I find the challenge of the game is greatest when the invaders are trying to accomplish two things at once - beat the USA, while each invader also positions themself to beat out the other two invaders and be the overall winner. It's not that FA would not work with two players, I just don't think it's the best 2-player AT choice. OTOH, I think Axis & Allies is a GREAT 2 player game, and in fact is in someway better as 2 player than multiplayer, especially as regards player downtime.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Cambridge
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here are a few others I've found that may or may not work with 2:

Napoleon in Europe - has a massive play time, apparently

World in War: Combined Arms 1939-1945 - looks to be roughly as simple and quick as Viktory II

The War Game: World War II - if you thought A&A: Anniversary was huge, it has nothing on this MONSTER game:

(The map with an A&A map on top)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Cambridge
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, an even split between Axis & Allies Anniversary Edition and StarCraft: The Board Game! I wonder if it just comes down to theme preference - history vs. sci-fi.

And I learned one very important thing from this thread, thanks to Pierce: I can play my Conquest of the Empire game with 2 players and don't need to go out and spend $100.00 on Axis & Allies Anniversary Edition.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.