Alex Rockwell
United States
Lynnwood
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So the space syas 'Draw 1 engineering or 1 tactics card'. Should this really be AND? It would be a good space as 'and'. But as 'or' it is terrible.

I read a player aid which described it as 'AND' and I was wondering if this is the way it should be played. (Seems like a big improvement, imo! Would help game balance!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Bender
United States
Knoxville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
An Example in the rulebook agrees with the wording as 'or' and not 'and'.

From the rulebook (page 12):

Example: William Adama is in the “Research Lab” and
uses the action listed there to draw one tactics or one
engineering card. He may choose to draw engineering
even though it is outside his skill set, because the location
specifies the card type.

Of course, that still doesn't mean that people can't choose to house rule this and play it as 'and'.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mark sellmeyer
United States
st louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
it's not great, but if you really need to fix something and everyone with engineering is a: not chosen, b. in the brig, c. a cylon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's what I thought, but I concluded that that's just a space when there's nothing left to do, short of launching vipers as a precaution, (only to have them all forced back to the deck due to some crisis card, but that's another matter, and THEN getting a basestar upon us), as opposed to getting nothing out of a turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Rockwell
United States
Lynnwood
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If there is nothing to do, Press room is much better. But I guess it would be very strong for the humans for it to be 'and'.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Cieslik
United States
Arlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Banana!
mbmbmbmbmb
There is also the bonus of the space not being one of the six damage counters, so you're mostly safe if you're there. There are a couple of crises that hit the research lab, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Patterson
United States
Iowa City
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, if it's an arguably bad action but not an obviously bad one, it might be a good place to, um, "help out."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Rockwell
United States
Lynnwood
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
angelkurisu wrote:
There is also the bonus of the space not being one of the six damage counters, so you're mostly safe if you're there. There are a couple of crises that hit the research lab, though.

Hmm, i havent seen a crisis hit it yet. We generally hang out in the research lab if we dont want to be in any specific location but want ot be 'safe'

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Baumbach
United States
Omaha
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
artmark wrote:
it's not great, but if you really need to fix something and everyone with engineering is a: not chosen, b. in the brig, c. a cylon.

It comes in really handy for that. Really handy.

As Adama, I hung out there for three non-combat turns, and was glad I did when the Cylons hit the Galactica twice and Tyrol had gone Cylon on us. We managed to hold on long enough to win because I repaired the damage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prasant Moorthy
Australia
Brisbane
QLD
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Alexfrog wrote:
If there is nothing to do, Press room is much better. But I guess it would be very strong for the humans for it to be 'and'.

If you look at the character cards, engineering is actually not that common. Off the top of my head Tyrol get two, Baltar gets one, Starbuck can choose to get one. I think that's it (at work so can't check to be sure) which means if you want engineering it's pretty efficient. Plus the Press Room's on Colonial One, so while you do get two politics cards, unless you're the president and using the Quorum card location (President's Office I think) there's little else to do there so you're wasting cards moving back and forth. For building up a hand in quiet periods Press Room may have a slight edge but otherwise it's pretty pointless - one card to go there, one card to get back, so you have to spend at least two turns there to have an overall card benefit from visiting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
angelkurisu wrote:
that explains a lot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Figgins
United States
Woodland
California
flag msg tools
badge
http://lyrislaser.com
mbmbmbmbmb
The research lab is weak, but essential. It never gets destroyed, so even if you have five damage tokens, no engineers, and Colonial One is blown to bits, you still have a chance to get on your feet, repair the ship, and push back the Cylons!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Riku Riekkinen
Finland
Jyväskylä
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Funkypea wrote:
If you look at the character cards, engineering is actually not that common. Off the top of my head Tyrol get two, Baltar gets one, Starbuck can choose to get one. I think that's it (at work so can't check to be sure) which means if you want engineering it's pretty efficient.

There is also Boomer, but that is a minor thing... engineering indeed is a rare skill. However Politics can be used to compensate this as "Consolidate Power" allows to pick up to any cards (in this case engineering)

Funkypea wrote:
Plus the Press Room's on Colonial One, so while you do get two politics cards, unless you're the president and using the Quorum card location (President's Office I think) there's little else to do there so you're wasting cards moving back and forth. For building up a hand in quiet periods Press Room may have a slight edge but otherwise it's pretty pointless - one card to go there, one card to get back, so you have to spend at least two turns there to have an overall card benefit from visiting.

I think using "Press Room", "Scouting" and "Executive Orders" is a lot to do. I think the best guy to get into the "Press Room" is the guy with highest Tactics rating (because of "Scouting"), usually the admiral. Also, since you can choose what to discard, you gain more than one card point value in average even on turn one. If defense is needed, admiral can also shoot a nuke from here.

Oh... this thread was about "Research Lab"... I can see distant visions of the places usefulness in rare situations. However I have never encountered them. Rather use a character with inherent politics skill to replace engineer as needed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prasant Moorthy
Australia
Brisbane
QLD
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Riku Riekkinen wrote:
Funkypea wrote:
If you look at the character cards, engineering is actually not that common. Off the top of my head Tyrol get two, Baltar gets one, Starbuck can choose to get one. I think that's it (at work so can't check to be sure) which means if you want engineering it's pretty efficient.

There is also Boomer, but that is a minor thing... engineering indeed is a rare skill. However Politics can be used to compensate this as "Consolidate Power" allows to pick up to any cards (in this case engineering)

Funkypea wrote:
Plus the Press Room's on Colonial One, so while you do get two politics cards, unless you're the president and using the Quorum card location (President's Office I think) there's little else to do there so you're wasting cards moving back and forth. For building up a hand in quiet periods Press Room may have a slight edge but otherwise it's pretty pointless - one card to go there, one card to get back, so you have to spend at least two turns there to have an overall card benefit from visiting.

I think using "Press Room", "Scouting" and "Executive Orders" is a lot to do. I think the best guy to get into the "Press Room" is the guy with highest Tactics rating (because of "Scouting"), usually the admiral. Also, since you can choose what to discard, you gain more than one card point value in average even on turn one. If defense is needed, admiral can also shoot a nuke from here.

Oh... this thread was about "Research Lab"... I can see distant visions of the places usefulness in rare situations. However I have never encountered them. Rather use a character with inherent politics skill to replace engineer as needed.

Not sure I get what you're saying. OP is saying better to use Press Room than Science Lab. I'm saying that if you want engineering, The Press Room route is inefficient. One action to get two yellows, then another action to convert one to blue. May as well just get the blue straight off.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Thingamagummy
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
Don't make me bust out the drama!!
badge
Panda is a Werewolf. The Village wins!
mbmbmbmbmb
Alexfrog wrote:
So the space syas 'Draw 1 engineering or 1 tactics card'. Should this really be AND? It would be a good space as 'and'. But as 'or' it is terrible.

I read a player aid which described it as 'AND' and I was wondering if this is the way it should be played. (Seems like a big improvement, imo! Would help game balance!)

Hmm... I like it as an "or" more than an "and." Because Engineering can really be critical at times, and is scarce amongst the characters, the Research Lab becomes a necessary evil when Tyrol goes Cylon.

Also, Apollo is bad at having too many cards, because he is forced to discard down... randomly.

Tactics is used in many, many skill checks, so it always is a card that you need. Those +2 to the die rolls are great when you can get them. Scouting isn't bad either.

So I think getting both an Engineering and Tactics card would just be way overbalancing when you start using Executive Orders and giving people 4 cards instead of 2. With the Press Room, they have to spend a card to get to Colonial One (unless they're there already or exiting a piloted viper), and it's limited to one type. I think that's what balances it out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Fanjoy
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
arkibet wrote:
With the Press Room, they have to spend a card to get to Colonial One (unless they're there already or exiting a piloted viper).

I think it costs you a card to go from a viper to Colonial One, if I'm not mistaken.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Thingamagummy
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
Don't make me bust out the drama!!
badge
Panda is a Werewolf. The Village wins!
mbmbmbmbmb
MrSkeletor wrote:
CitizenFry wrote:
arkibet wrote:
With the Press Room, they have to spend a card to get to Colonial One (unless they're there already or exiting a piloted viper).

I think it costs you a card to go from a viper to Colonial One, if I'm not mistaken.

I believe you are correct.

Ah yes, whenever you exit a viper. It happens so rarely.. thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.