Michael Schell
United States
Hollis Center
ME
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The text of the "Forever Burning" card (CORE T174) is as follows:

"Deathbound.

ANY PHASE: Choose a character. Until the end of the phase, that character gets -1 STR.

DOMINANCE: Kneel 1 influence or pay 2 gold to return Forever Burning from your dead pile to your hand"

Can the dominance phase action be triggered long after the card has been placed in the dead pile, e.g. four rounds later during a dominance phase? Or is this something I'd have to do immediately after using its ANY PHASE power during the DOMINANCE phase (i.e. the point at which it would be placed into my dead pile)?

Thanks,
Mike

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason -
United States
Unspecified
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mike,

The effect in question can be triggered during any Dominance phase during the game regardless of how long the card has been in your dead pile. A "triggered effect" that has a bold label with a name of a phase (e.g., "Dominance") or says "Any Phase" can be triggered during such phase(s) whichever turn they occur in the game, so long as any other conditions spelled out by the effect are satisfied (in this case, the card must be in your dead pile for this effect to work). Contrast that to a triggered effect that has "Response" as its bold label, which must be triggered immediately after the the action/condition it describes itself as being in response to and before any new Action is taken, or the opportunity for the Response is lost (multiple Responses to the same action/condition are permitted, they just need to happen before a new non-Response action/game step occurs --example: let's say you have a card in play that says "Response: When a card leaves play..." and I have an event card in my hand that has a similar Response and you are the first player. During a challenge, a character is killed. Moving it to a dead pile is a card leaving play. You as first player have first opportunity to respond to that with your card that has the Response triggered effect, but you don't. Now the opportunity to respond passes to me and I decide to play my event card. The response opportunity passes back to you (it stays open until it goes around and everyone chooses to pass). You could play your Response now (perhaps something about my event card makes your response now attractive to you). If at any point the players all passed in turn on making responses, the game would move to the next step, perhaps the next challenge, and we would not be able to trigger those Responses any longer until the next time a card left play and gave us a new opportunity to respond).

Jason

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.