Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dennis Ku
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
"You can spend all your time making money / Or you can spend all your love making time."
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, sorry if these are already posted...did a quick search but am still confused.

After selling to the Distant Market, "you then increase your income a number of spaces indicated at the side of the track (in addition to the spaces you advance from the tile itself)."

I understand advancing my income marker based on the number on the back of the cotton mill, but what about those "spaces indicated at the side of the track"? What does that mean???

Damn it, this game has a large set of rules. It all seems intuitive enough for me, but working through this seemingly short eight page rulebook has been like reading Heart of Darkness again. "Oh, it's only a hundred pages...how long could it take???" shake

Thanks for any help!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Merric Blackman
Australia
Waubra
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
Ramping up my reviewing.
badge
Happily playing games for many, many years.
mbmbmbmbmb
On the cotton track, there are a number of numbers in big gold circles. That's the extra income you get for selling your cotton on the distant market. As I recall, they go "3", "2", "1", "0".

Cheers!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raymond Glosser
United States
Antioch
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
3/2/1/0 is correct. Each value has two designated spaces. There is one space at the bottom, below each of these pairs. If the market marker reaches this, your cotton mill remains face-up and your turn ends immediately.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Swan
Australia
Randwick
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't forget that the "income" you get from the external market is a permanent income increase on the income track, not a one-time cash payment as some people have thought in the past.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paulo Soledade
Portugal
Leiria
Leiria
flag msg tools
designer
WYG Developer
badge
mb
futhee wrote:

Damn it, this game has a large set of rules. It all seems intuitive enough for me, but working through this seemingly short eight page rulebook has been like reading Heart of Darkness again. "Oh, it's only a hundred pages...how long could it take???" shake

You should have started with the movie

Brass is difficult to grasp at the beggining (I've played about 8 games before I had everything right!!!!) but it's worth it.

As everybody told before you gain the income equal to the numbers on the cotton demand track (after the distant market tile is revealed of course).

Complementary info: the only time on the game where you gain money instead of income is when you're able to fill the coal/iron demand spaces when constructing a coal/iron industry.

Hope that helps
Paulo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Ku
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
"You can spend all your time making money / Or you can spend all your love making time."
mbmbmbmbmb
As always, you guys are a great help. Thanks!
Really looking forward to playing this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Swan
Australia
Randwick
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
futhee wrote:
As always, you guys are a great help. Thanks!

You're welcome. Thumbs are good too!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Ku
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Shoot...ok, I played Brass for the first time tonight, and I still don't understand my original question.

Let's use this example:

My buddy Keith sells to the Distant Market. A -4 tile is turned over. The cotton market drops down next to a "1". He flips his cotton mill over and moves his income marker the # of spaces indicated on the back of the cotton mill tile. How many spaces does he move his income marker due to the Distant Market?

Does he move it 1 space because it's next to the 1 now on the Distant Market? Does he move it 4 because it moved 4 spaces?

Thanks (again) for any help!

p.s. we only got through half the game before more people showed up, but boy, was it an awesome half game! Martin Wallace = genius!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
-=[Ran Over]=-
United States
Pleasant Grove
Utah
flag msg tools
1 space.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paulo Soledade
Portugal
Leiria
Leiria
flag msg tools
designer
WYG Developer
badge
mb
You go up on the income track the number of spaces equal to the number shown on the cotton demand track. On your example, if the marker ends on the space marked with "1" you move up your income marker the number of spaces correspondent to the cotton mill plus 1, which is the number shown on the distant market.

Hope that's clear now.
Paulo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
-=[Ran Over]=-
United States
Pleasant Grove
Utah
flag msg tools
Soledade wrote:
So, the total number of spaces you move up on the income track, taking your example, is 5.
He never said what his mill was worth.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paulo Soledade
Portugal
Leiria
Leiria
flag msg tools
designer
WYG Developer
badge
mb
rgmnetid wrote:
Soledade wrote:
So, the total number of spaces you move up on the income track, taking your example, is 5.
He never said what his mill was worth.

You're right. Corrected. Thanks.

PS

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.