Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Keeping the rubber side down.
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tonight I invited my neighbors over to play Puerto Rico. They had never played anything beyond Monopoly before tonight though they claimed to be board game addicts. I set up the game in advance and had my wife read the instructions to them. She is a teacher, so I figured she would be good at teaching the game. She got high marks.

As you can imagine this was pretty much a throw away game with my wife and I strongly urging the newbies to make the best move for their turn. I wasn't really sure they were enjoying themselves when they asked, "How does the game end again?"

Within 10 minutes of that though, we ran out of men and the game was over. I feared I had aimed to high and should have gone for a game like Dominion which is not so long or challenging. I was wrong though. My guests had a great time and invited themselves over this weekend to play again. They "get it" now and want to play for real and, "not on a school night so we have plenty of time."

Chalk up two more potential BoardGameGeeks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Faulkner
United Kingdom
Banstead
Surrey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations. Either brave or foolhardy you have had a good result. Though I like Puerto Rico a lot I would never dream of using it as an introduction game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keeping the rubber side down.
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JimF wrote:
Congratulations. Either brave or foolhardy you have had a good result. Though I like Puerto Rico a lot I would never dream of using it as an introduction game.

It has been a year since I played Puerto Rico with any regularity and I forgot just how many things you need to be on top of to play well. I am sure there are a dozen threads here on introduction games. I need to read them and get my hands on a good introduction game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Kosareo
United States
Twinsburg
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I had a similar experience with a couple that me and my girlfriend know. Even though it's a complex game if you feel like someone might be reomtely interested in board games this game cannot fail.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.