Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Randy Weston - The Spirits of Our Ancestors
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Over the last few years I've posted move-by-move accounts of four of my BaM games: two text transcripts on ConsimWorld, an Illustrated Sample Game on the Simmons Games website, and a Session Report here on BGG. Those games all had one thing in common: I played the Austrians.

That's primarily because I wanted to disprove the claims that the French have a big advantage, and need only run away to win. Whether I convinced anybody or not, I have no intention of doing any more Session Reports from the red side of the table.

However, I am thinking about doing one from the blue side before I hang up my spurs. Would anybody be interested in a Session Report of one of my games as the French? I'm floating the question because I don't want to put in the work if there isn't much interest.

I've got Cyberboard game files for 4 games from the BaM Ladder and 1 from the BaM Tourney to choose from. Here are images of the midgame situation for each:

BaM Ladder Round 3 (F16 vs. Dave Helmbold)

Dave was one of the 10 players in the very first Ladder round. I remember that we had quite a tussle over area 8 in this game. By midgame, he had me at an A14 F9 morale disadvantage, with a substantial force pushing up the middle.

BaM Ladder Round 4 (F16 vs. Andy Wright)

Andy is really good and scares me to death, which gets me focussed so I always play my best against him. In this game I managed to recapture Marengo by assault, causing some Austrian casualties and throwing a monkey wrench in their Southern advance.

BaM Ladder Round 6 (F15 vs. Dick Jarvinen)

My Favoite Finn had me on the ropes in this one. As you can see, he's knocked me down to 10 morale and gained far too much ground in the South for my comfort.

BaM Ladder Round 7 (F15 vs. Andy Wright)

Andy once again. My main memory from this game was a finesse move I made to halt a very dangerous Southern advance in area 37.

BaM Tourney Round 2 (F16 vs. Mark Christopher)

Mark has played 8 rated games as the Austrians, more than any other player (I'm second with 7). Playing in "no skedaddle" mode, I've taken substantial losses to hold my early lines, and am on the verge of taking more.

So there you have it. If you'd like to see a Session Report for one of these games, let me know which one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim O'Neill (Established 1949)
Scotland
Motherwell
Graduate of Barlinnie
flag msg tools
VENI, VIDI, VISA - my reaction on entering my FLGS.
badge
Like a good red wine, I improve with age... and being laid.
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes please!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Christopher
United States
Salem
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
In the wonderful game, Bonaparte at Marengo, this is how to get nasty Frenchies out of a village.
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with Jim, George. Your session reports are gold.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Christopher
United States
Salem
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
In the wonderful game, Bonaparte at Marengo, this is how to get nasty Frenchies out of a village.
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, and my vote is for the round 4 battle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Any pointers I can gather from BaM Session Reports are very helpful to me (I keep getting walloped by my mean ol'brother, but less each time). The Round 4 game vs Andy looks like it might be cool to see play out as you mentioned a French counterattack. That has me intrigued.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Capt_S wrote:
The Round 4 game vs Andy looks like it might be cool to see play out as you mentioned a French counterattack. That has me intrigued.

You have to be judicious when attacking with the French in the early part of the game, but I tend to be pretty aggressive whenever I see an opportunity.

In the Round 7 game against Andy, I vacated area 7 on the 8 a.m. turn, then counter-attacked after he sent a lone cavalry in. I killed the cav, and then held area 7 until 2 p.m.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mb
We are still learning the nuances of the game, but I am behind in that race.

In the last game played, early on I (the Austrians) left an important approach unattended when it's opposite had a French unit in it. Lost my artillery piece that time. Oops! I fell behind on the Morale Track and was never able to regain the difference. Live and learn. I should really join up with a group of folks playing this game on-line.

Great game, by the way. I have a hard time explaining just why I like it, other than to say that I can just feel the care and intelligence that went into the design.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Christopher
United States
Salem
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Capt_S wrote:
I should really join up with a group of folks playing this game on-line.

Join the B@M ladder!

http://www.firish.com/BaM/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rod Bauer
United States
Larned
Kansas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
George,
As others have said your reports are very interesting and always well written. You do a great service to the rest of us by posting them. So YES, I would very much like to have you do another report.

While any of them would be valuable, I would most like to see an AAR on either the round 2 or 4. I appreciate an aggressive French play. Either of those two seem to fit the bill. I look forward to your report.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Forest Cole
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Definitely always like your recaps. I'd vote for the Round 6 one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Green
United States
Alameda
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We're ready to read! How about 4 or 6...for us all to ponder...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for all the kind words, guys. There aren't a lot of you, but what you lack in numbers you make up for in quality, so I will get to work on a session report.

The round 4 game with Andy Wright has received the most mentions, and Andy has given his permission for me to present it, so that will be the subject. Having seen how clearly Paul Humphreys presented his session report:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/350798

...and compared it to my own previous muddled effort, I will try to emulate his style ('emulate' sounds far better than 'plagiarize', doesn't it?).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The promised session report is up:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/364808
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.