Sheffield
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Star Date - 11122008

Mission codename: Dead in the Water

Pre-Mission:

Curse the admirals and their new 'fairness' policy. I've been demoted, can you believe it? After being the first successful captain to be in charge of the HMS Black Box on a live mission, now I'm the lowly security officer dealing with internal threats. Instead the command's gone to Staves. Staves! He couldn't command his way out of a cardboard box.

But fine, I'll show the admirals what I can do. As long as we get through this alive they'll beg me to be captain again.

For the record our crew consists of...

Captain Staves
Information Officer Pingree
Security Officer Crowe
Chief Screen Saver Waggler Elliot
Private Eve

Pingree and Elliot are fully trained and served under me on the last mission, and Captain Staves has completed all the training but Private Eve had not. Like a good Security Officer I have briefed him on the proper control of robots and how to deal with internal threats.

Mission:

As soon as we warped in I headed to lower red to activate the robots there, whilst Eve triggered the upper blue robots. Almost immediately Pingree reported a Destroyer heading towards blue, so Staves and Elliot headed to the lower and upper decks respectively. But here the first failure of command occurred. Staves and Elliot attempted to fire the guns whilst Eve charged up the blue shields. Power went to the shields, rendering the shooting ineffective. Thankfully the shields ensured that the Destroyer could do no damage and it flew off, we had survived that threat.

Down in the lower red deck some Commandos attempted to raid the Black Box. Now according to the fleet these are rated a serious internal threat. Hah! With one heroic action my robots blew them to pieces. The captain will take credit of course, he always does. I repaired my robots but unfortunately for myself, and Eve with his robots, no more internal threats appeared. Frightened of me, I assume.

Instead four more external threats appeared in quite rapid succession. A Cryoshield Fighter and Pulse Ball towards white, a Maelstrom and Stealth Fighter towards red. Here is where the crew started to panic (except myself of course). After the screen saver was waggled Pingree manned the upper red guns, with myself giving fire and energy support. Elliot and Captain Staves took positions on white, and Eve took lower blue and shot out our three rockets, hoping to hit something.

The firing started well. Unfortunately the Cryoshield Fighter had caused us damage and reduced the power of the white lasers so when Elliot returned fire she could not damage it sufficiently. But out of nowhere one of Eve’s rockets hit its mark, destroying the fighter. Meanwhile on the red trajectory a combination of primary and secondary lasers from myself and Pingree, as well as another of Eve’s rockets managed to destroy the Maelstrom. Excellent work (and Private Eve should be commended for his random rocket firing).

Things took a turn for the worse against the last two threats. I had pulled power to red that went to the shields, but the captain was blindly firing the pulse lasers at anything that moved, and failed to recharge the fuel core. The upper guns fell silent as no power could get to them. With danger approaching I knew it was time for action. I leapt into the fighters with my robots and went out hunting our last threats.

However, despite my pure heroicism, without fire support I could only dent the Fighter and Pulse Ball heading our way. After some intesne dogfighting with my squadron the Fighter reached us first and thankfully our shields stopped some of the damage before it broke off, but we were still in trouble. I zoomed around the Pulse Ball with my robot squadron, looking for weak points, but it was too late. Its blasts wracked damage all round the station. Meanwhile Captain Staves sat in the engine room, staring out the window (probably at my graceful flying display). How am I supposed to do my job in these conditions?

The red section where Pingree stood had taken the most hits, every system was operating below capacity. One more direct hit here would destroy us but… there were no more threats. It was over. The Pulse Ball passed away into the depths of space. Data had been collected, the screen saver successfully waggled, and we warped back home.

Post-Mission Analysis:

We barely survived, with a poor 7 space-points. I blame the captain of course. When I write up my report to the admirals I will strongly recommend they put a more experienced and proven man in charge (i.e. me).

Lessons for the future - energy was our big failing here. Perhaps the captain should lead from the engine room, ensuring power is recharged before it can be taken to the other zones? Meanwhile he can alternate with firing the pulse lasers. In fact perhaps relatively static positions would be useful with 5 crew. The captain central, the others split into red and blue teams? Will suggest these improvements next time I am captain.

Next time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jenkins
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I hardly ever post, but I just wanted to show my appreciation for this session report.

It made me smile, and laugh, because this is exactly how I play space alert with my friends. Getting into character, captain taking the credit, miscommunication, random rockets saving the day.

Very well written, thumbed :)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Kendall
United States
Lebanon
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, you lucky core-system dwellers! Out here to spinward we hardly ever see the luxuries you enjoy in the inner systems.

I hope an enterprising independent trader or a cargo vessel with nav malfunctions will show up at Spaceport Newyork one of these days and bring some of these downtime delights to us outposters.

In the meantime, we do enjoy reading about your adventures.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Thornsen
United States
Nottingham
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Scrowe wrote:
Down in the lower red deck some Commandos attempted to raid the Black Box. Now according to the fleet these are rated a serious internal threat. Hah! With one heroic action my robots blew them to pieces. The captain will take credit of course, he always does. I repaired my robots but unfortunately for myself, and Eve with his robots, no more internal threats appeared. Frightened of me, I assume.

Not to be nitpicky, but are you playing the Heroic Action card correctly? The Heroic Battle Bot action still only deals 1 damage to the threat. The only difference is they won't be damaged if the enemy fires back. In the case of the commandos, you could kill them with 1 Heroic + 1 normal Battle Bot action (and your bots would be damaged by the 2nd action, killing the commandos at the same time).

Other than that, an excellent session report! I am a big fan of firing rockets when you don't know what else to do (unless the Juggernaut is out there).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Crowe
United Kingdom
Sheffield
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Faranim wrote:

Not to be nitpicky, but are you playing the Heroic Action card correctly? The Heroic Battle Bot action still only deals 1 damage to the threat. The only difference is they won't be damaged if the enemy fires back. In the case of the commandos, you could kill them with 1 Heroic + 1 normal Battle Bot action (and your bots would be damaged by the 2nd action, killing the commandos at the same time).

Oh thanks, I think we've been playing this wrong then. It wouldn't have made much difference here, just an extra turn attacking the commandos. But will check up on this for the next time we play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guy Srinivasan
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Faranim wrote:
I am a big fan of firing rockets when you don't know what else to do (unless the Juggernaut is out there).

Too much thinking! Fire the rockets anyway!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Wilson
United States
Pleasanton
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Worked for us! Good thing the threat only had 2 shields and 1 point left.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
niels s
Netherlands
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Scrowe wrote:
Faranim wrote:

Oh thanks, I think we've been playing this wrong then. It wouldn't have made much difference here, just an extra turn attacking the commandos. But will check up on this for the next time we play.

Don't worry, I think you played it just right, because:

Scrowe wrote:
I repaired my robots but unfortunately for myself, and Eve with his robots, no more internal threats appeared. Frightened of me, I assume.

Robots don't get damaged with a heroic action, so you probably used a normal action after that
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.