JessA
United States
Southwestern
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
That's MRS. McFoxFace to you!
mbmbmbmbmb
This morning at 6:30 a.m. my son (age 12) asks me where Saboteur is.

Through my pre-coffee haze, I ask, "why do you need Saboteur right now?"

It's then that I find out that he is having a Christmas Party during Band class today and the band director said the kids could bring games.

My son told the teacher that he has a lot of games and he said a couple kids said, "Yeah, bring Monopoly!"

Well, my son starts gathering up some games.

Now, I try to let my kids make their own decisions and not be too pushy with my opinions, but it was tough in this situation.

Band lasts for about an hour and twenty minutes. My son has packed up:

BANG!
Saboteur
Unnamed Object
Werewolf
Rat-a-Tat Cat

The other thing is that my son has NEVER taught a game on his own. I've tried to get him to, but in the end I always end up teaching his friends how to play when they come over.

So, I get him to put Bang! back and take Apples to Apples Instead. Now I can't stand apples to apples, but let's be realistic here, it's easy to learn and teach and I think the most likely game to get played. My son likes apples to apples okay.

So, he heads out the door with a loaded dufflebag.

Then, here comes my daughter (14) with Curses! under her arm. Turns out, she's having a Christmas Party in her band class, too. I think she was a little more realistic.

I do admire my son's enthusiasm. We'll see how it goes!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sue Hemberger

Washington
Dist of Columbia
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm betting he'll have kids asking where they can buy some of these games!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Jess!! I think that was a GOOD switch for two reasons:

-many of the kids might already be familiar/know Apples to Apples
-there's always the possibility of an issue with a game where you shoot someone!

Please let us know how it went!!!

kiss
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JessA
United States
Southwestern
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
EgorjLileli wrote:

-there's always the possibility of an issue with a game where you shoot someone!

kiss

You're right! I didn't even think about the shooting part.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Cieslik
United States
Arlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Banana!
mbmbmbmbmb
Jatoha wrote:
EgorjLileli wrote:

kiss

I only shoot people when I have to play Apples to Apples It is probably the best bet for that situation, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chief Slovenly
United States
Burlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jatoha wrote:
This morning at 6:30 a.m. my son (age 12) asks me where Saboteur is.

Through my pre-coffee haze, I ask, "why do you need Saboteur right now?"

It's then that I find out that he is having a Christmas Party during Band class today and the band director said the kids could bring games.

My son told the teacher that he has a lot of games and he said a couple kids said, "Yeah, bring Monopoly!"

Well, my son starts gathering up some games.

Now, I try to let my kids make their own decisions and not be too pushy with my opinions, but it was tough in this situation.

Band lasts for about an hour and twenty minutes. My son has packed up:

BANG!
Saboteur
Unnamed Object
Werewolf
Rat-a-Tat Cat

The other thing is that my son has NEVER taught a game on his own. I've tried to get him to, but in the end I always end up teaching his friends how to play when they come over.

So, I get him to put Bang! back and take Apples to Apples Instead. Now I can't stand apples to apples, but let's be realistic here, it's easy to learn and teach and I think the most likely game to get played. My son likes apples to apples okay.

So, he heads out the door with a loaded dufflebag.

Then, here comes my daughter (14) with Curses! under her arm. Turns out, she's having a Christmas Party in her band class, too. I think she was a little more realistic.

I do admire my son's enthusiasm. We'll see how it goes!

Totally with you on Apples to Apples. Ugh.

My son has seen Cash 'N' Gun$ on the shelf and asked to play it once or twice -- same with Bang!... dunno what it is about little boys and the bang-bang... I always steer him towards Gulo Gulo instead, since he can legitimately kick my ass at it.

You might have him try Dancing Eggs...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob
United States
30° 12′ 38″ N, 95° 45′ 2″ W
flag msg tools
badge
You can't rob Peter, Paul and Mary to pay yourself.
mbmbmbmbmb
Break the Safe would have been good, too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JessA
United States
Southwestern
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sinister Dexter wrote:
Break the Safe would have been good, too.

I actually suggested this, but he wanted to take one that would play a lot of people.

I'll be picking him up in an hour. We'll see how it went.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JessA
United States
Southwestern
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, here's the report.

My daughter has band 1st hour and she played Curses!. She's played that before and her friends are crazy about that game. One even went online to buy it.

It's not my daughter's favorite game, but she is happy to play with her friends and they have fun. She said that they played many times over with different people each time and everyone was laughing very much.

My son has band the next hour, so my daughter left Curses! for him there. And that's the only game they ended up playing. He said it was fun and people liked it, but he was pretty disappointed that he couldn't play another game. Part of the problem was that one kid in his class brought his Wii (!), so kids were playing that.

(I can't imagine letting my kid take their wii to school, too much potential for major damage.)

Anyway, my daughter is looking for something new to play that is similar to Curses! She's been burned-out on it for awhile. She's tried Fluxx with her friends and they like it okay, but it doesn't get them to the hilarity level of Curses! I'm going to have to do some research on very silly, immature games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob
United States
30° 12′ 38″ N, 95° 45′ 2″ W
flag msg tools
badge
You can't rob Peter, Paul and Mary to pay yourself.
mbmbmbmbmb
Jatoha wrote:
I'm going to have to do some research on very silly, immature games.

I think a geeklist is in order.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Brown
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jatoha wrote:
EgorjLileli wrote:

kiss

I've never had a problem with bang in my school, however I haven't had the courage to try cash n guns as you're not even supposed to have a facsimile of a gun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chief Slovenly
United States
Burlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jatoha wrote:
Okay, here's the report.

My daughter has band 1st hour and she played Curses!. She's played that before and her friends are crazy about that game. One even went online to buy it.

It's not my daughter's favorite game, but she is happy to play with her friends and they have fun. She said that they played many times over with different people each time and everyone was laughing very much.

My son has band the next hour, so my daughter left Curses! for him there. And that's the only game they ended up playing. He said it was fun and people liked it, but he was pretty disappointed that he couldn't play another game. Part of the problem was that one kid in his class brought his Wii (!), so kids were playing that.

(I can't imagine letting my kid take their wii to school, too much potential for major damage.)

Anyway, my daughter is looking for something new to play that is similar to Curses! She's been burned-out on it for awhile. She's tried Fluxx with her friends and they like it okay, but it doesn't get them to the hilarity level of Curses! I'm going to have to do some research on very silly, immature games.

You need Magician's Night/Nacht der Magier.

I don't know anything about Curses, but Magician's Night positively enthralls any kid around 7 or 8, especially if that kid has parents who are already positively disposed towards very nerdy things.

The game has a lot of whimsical things not often seen in other games all at once: glow-in-the-dark pieces, playing with sound, and strongly tactile pieces. Add in a short playing time and it's pure gold.

I'd also recommend Cartagena for kids around this age, but not having kids that age myself, I can't be sure.

Edit: Magician's Night? Totally inappropriate for school. Jeez. But genius game for kids nonetheless.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sue Hemberger

Washington
Dist of Columbia
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm told that Quelf is about as silly and immature (and fun) as a game can be. Don't know if it's appropriate for classroom use though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.