Popular Tags: [View All]
Craig Duncan
United States
Ithaca
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I may be overlooking something, but I have a question about how to choose armies in the basic game. (The instructions are pretty explicit about choosing armies in the master game, but I can't find any advice on this matter in the basic game instructions.)

My guess is this: the blue cards are the "good army" and the red cards are the "evil army." Cards that are neither blue nor red (e.g. Syvarris, Izumi Samurai, Krav Maga agents, and Agent Carr) are not in either the Good or Evil army. They are used only if you use the method for drafting armies described in the master game rules (or if you invent your own method of selecting armies...)

Is that right?

I'm pretty sure it is right, but I guess I'd like some assurance; I'll be playing this with my son for the first time tomorrow, and I want to play it correctly from the start. Also, I'm curious if any of you have created your own novel ways of selecting armies...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
All the scenarios for the basic game involved pre-built armies, so there's no choosing of units to make up your army when playing the basic game.

I would suggest playing one of those preset scenarios with your son, and then moving onto the full version of the game. The full rules are not that complex, but add a lot more fun to the game (especially the use of special abilities.) The basic rules really aren't that fun (I would say even for someone who's young) and should really only be thought of as a learning tool.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Count
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Pick the armies as you want.....the point values are pretty good at keeping balance. I have teamed up a few of all the others against the Utgar armies generally, but I have learned that the point values are pretty good at keeping balance if you keep them similar.

How old is your son? I first played with him my son when he was 8, and we played the basic rules. They weren't as fun as the advanced, and we switched over after one play I think, and have never looked back. The advanced was not tough for him to learn at all......and I think I could have started with the advanced.....

Edit seen above
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John W
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You're right - the basic game does have a hole in it, if selecting balanced armies is the intent. Since there are no point values on the basic side, and their stats very widely from the advanced side, just look at them and divvy them out as your best guess (if you're not using the scenarios, as mentioned).

Remember, with only 1 life each figure, squads can be insanely more powerful than heroes, since all activate each order marker.

The basic game is just an intro - a appetizer, for the main course that is the advanced game.
If you're playing with your 8 year old, the advanced game should be fine for him.
The 5 year old, start out with the basic - just let him choose some cool figures he likes, and then you select an underpowered opposing force to his (the stats are REALLY easy to compare to each other).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Count
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Oops, it has been so long, I forgot the basic rules didn't have point values.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Duncan
United States
Ithaca
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the advice. I'll definitely move on quickly to the Master Game!!

As it happens, looking over the directions again tonight, I found that they do tell you which characters to use for which army in the Basic Game. That info is found at the back of the manual where they describe the game scenarios and set-up. After the step-by-step instructions for building the set-up, there is a diagram of that set-up with numbers on it. These numbers show you who is on what side and exactly where in the set-up to place them (there is a key matching numbers with character names below the diagram).

These pre-set armies do keep red army cards together and blue army cards together, so it does seem red = evil army and blue = good army. But in the pre-set armies of a given scenario, the scenario may instruct you only to use a sub-set of the cards of any given army -- that is, you do not always use the whole red army and the whole blue army.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"GAME OVER, MAN. GAME OVER!"
Denmark
Aarhus
Unwashed and somewhat slightly dazed...
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You´re right about your theory about "red" and "blue". Red is UTGAR, the bad guys, and Blue is JANDAR, the good guys!
The rest fall in somewhere in between. The official story these days is that it´s UTGAR against everybody! I do believe that earlier, Vydar was leaning toward Utgar, Ullar and Einar toward Jandar. The new general, AQUILLA, is still a bit mysterious...

Note that this is just part of the background story, NOT the rules! If you want to build an army consisting of a good mix of units from all the factions, this is perfectly legal! And fun too!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.