United States
Linden
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Social Justice Wargamer
mbmbmbmbmb
Recently, my car's tape deck broke, depriving me of my drive-time podcasts. I have been forced to listen to the radio, which has largely been a terrifying experience. There is exactly 1 good radio station in the New York Metro area, but I still have 6 presets. Here they are:

1. I have the good fortune of living within broadcast range of WFMU, the world's greatest radio station. It's one of the last free-form stations, so you never know what you're going to hear. I will often come across the sounds of a squeaky wheel turning or a faucet dripping, and then will come back an hour later to hear some amazing Brazilian punk, and an hour later some obscure radio drama. There's nothing quite like it, and it's basically the reason I still love the medium. Of course, there's only one show that's on every day, and that show is the bane of my existence: Jewish Moments in the Morning. Even though I'm not Jewish, I actually find the interviews and the theological stuff kind of interesting, but the music is truly painful. It's like bad 80s soundtrack stuff at best. There simply has to be better music made by religious Jews.

Unfortunately, JM in the AM is the morning drive-time show. So I have to listen to one of the other stations.

2. WFUV. This is the Fordham University station. By virtue of broadcasting Vin Scelsa, it is also the second best radio station in the area. But even at second best, it fails miserably. Sometimes they'll have interesting live music. Usually, they play nothing but Lucinda Williams records interspersed occasionally with Coldplay. And most of the DJs used to do commercial radio, so they all suffer from that annoying slickness.

3. 101.9. I don't actually know what this station is called, but it's the best commercial radio I've come across in some time. The first time I scanned the radio, they played the Velvet Underground and some Jonathan Richman. I needed something to replace New Jersey 101.5, the worst radio station in America, on my presets, so this got the spot. But now I need to manually scan to 101.5 when I want to piss myself off.

4. 101.1. CBS-FM. Now we're entering the nether regions of the dial. I pretty much stay away from this if I can, but this is the Oldies station. It actually used to be a pretty good oldies station, actually, despite the fact that all the DJs had the exact same inflection. But a couple years ago it was scrapped in favor of Jack FM, which was an experiment in radio without DJs. They liked to compare it to an "iPod on shuffle," which was true if your iPod contained a lot of Spin Doctors. It made me miss commercial radio DJs. This failed miserably, as it turned out that a lot of people already had iPods that they could put on shuffle. Now it's an oldies station again, but it has none of the soul, and none of the old DJs. Also, they play a larger range of music, and I preferred when they stuck more to the 50s and 60s. The other stuff is covered by...

5. Q104.3. The Clear Channel classic rock station. You have the same one: every 10th song is Zeppelin. For most people, this is the place to hear Van Halen songs. For me, it's the place where joy goes to die.

6. WDHA. It's the other classic rock station, but this one is from Jersey. It's a little bit better than Q104, and I think it's at least independently owned. They play newer stuff, too, but more in the vein of Nickelback than something listenable.

For those of you who aren't too cool for radio, what's on your presets?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
ExcitingJeff wrote:

I believe you are the only listener left.

This may be why advertising has such a low return.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christychan
United States
Somerville
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ray-dee-oh? what's this raydeeoh thing you speak of?

Wait a minute - you live in the NY metro area...

wait a minute - you live in Union, NJ?

Why don't you come to the boardgame meetup in Woodbridge? Do I know you?

OOOh, can we trade games...runs off to look at ExcitingJeff's trades.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff
United States
Linden
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Social Justice Wargamer
mbmbmbmbmb
Geosphere wrote:
ExcitingJeff wrote:

I believe you are the only listener left.

This may be why advertising has such a low return.

Especially since I spend 99% of the time listening to non-commercial radio.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff
United States
Linden
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Social Justice Wargamer
mbmbmbmbmb
Prismcat wrote:

My girlfriend and I went for the first time on Wednesday. I was the tall dude with the trenchcoat and rumpled dress clothes, if you were there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't listen to terrestrial radio anymore since I bought sirius satellite radio. But here are my presets:

1. HOWARD100 - The Howard Stern Channel
2. 80's on 8 - 80's music of course.
3. Faction - Punk music, oi!
4. Deeptracks - Classic Rock, the deep cuts
5. AC/DC Radio - Only temporary, but it's cool
6. Raw Dog - Comedy tracks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christychan
United States
Somerville
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ExcitingJeff wrote:
Prismcat wrote:

My girlfriend and I went for the first time on Wednesday. I was the tall dude with the trenchcoat and rumpled dress clothes, if you were there.

Awww,darned - I couldn't go at all this week - I'm in finals, so I won't make it tomorrow either - what's your nick on BoardgamesNJ? I'll be there on Wed & Sat of next week and maybe Monday, depending on the weather.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aloha!
United States
Kalamazoo
Michigan
flag msg tools
Meega, nala kwishta!
badge
AAGH! YOU'RE TOUCHING ME!
mbmbmbmbmb
1> NPR

or an MP3 Cd.

I don't listen to the radio.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christychan
United States
Somerville
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, and I don't listen to the radio because I have an mp3 player in my car and you can fit tons of mp3s on a cd, so no more radio for me! At work I listen to Launchcast on Yahoo - which is sorta radio or mp3s that I saved to my pc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christychan
United States
Somerville
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cold_fuzion wrote:
1> NPR

or an MP3 Cd.

What's NPR?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff
United States
Linden
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Social Justice Wargamer
mbmbmbmbmb
Prismcat wrote:
What's your nick on BoardgamesNJ? I'll be there on Wed & Sat of next week and maybe Monday, depending on the weather.

I think it's just Jeffrey Dieterle. I'm not very active. I'd like to go more, though; I had a lot of fun.

Wow, I'm talking about games in ChitChat. I await my ritual shaming.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon
United States
Edmond
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
admin
Convention Committee
badge
BGG.CON! BGG.CON SPRING! BGG@SEA!
mbmbmbmbmb
My presets are public radio, public radio, and classical music.

And local sports radio (for occasional entertainment during college football season).

But 99.99% of the time, I listen to podcasts (board game, video game, and horror movie related) on my BlackBerry.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
On Monday mornings, I'm dedicated to the proposition that All Men are created jerks.
United States
Stratford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cold_fuzion wrote:
1> NPR

or an MP3 Cd.

Same here, plus podcasts.

The sad thing is, I loved radio. I graduated from college with degrees in radio production and management. Luckily, I fell into public radio, the last, great refuge on the radio dial. My dial never goes above 92.1 (most non-commercial radio is found below 92 on the dial).

Radio has become the vast wasteland Newton Minnow warned us about. (ok, he was talking about TV, still...)

Bland programming aimed at the lowest common denominator. Unfunny morning "zoos", news delivered in convenient sound bites ("give us 10 minutes, we'll give you the world.")

Late night radio is worse, with NO original programming, just the same satellite distributed syndicated shows on every frequency. As a kid, I used to lie in bed, slowly turning the dial (a REAL dial, not a digital tuner!) on my AM clock radio, picking up different programming from distant stations until I fell asleep, waking up in the morning to the gentle hiss of static as daybreak dissolved the magic of long-distant AM reception. Now, it's the same handful of shows that you can hear locally, so why bother.

Although my NPR station is mostly syndicated programming (classical music is played locally, but it's not my cup of tea), it's great radio. The news in in-depth, interesting and informative. The weekend entertainment shows are the natural extensions of the old time radio programs of long ago, while being innovative rather than retro: Wait Wait Don't Tell Me, A Prairie Home Companion, Car Talk, This American Life.

There's little left on the radio worth listening to, but it's there if you're willing to hunt (again, focus below 92.1).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King of All Simians — Not a Mere Diplomat
United States
Wilmington
Select State
flag msg tools
designer
I love you.
badge
I love you.
mb
Well, we still listen to radio in the car...

The Wife is the main driver, and so the stations are hers, mostly.

1) WXRT - The adult alternative station that's been around since forever. Not a bad station at all. They play too much blues, but I suppose that's a Chicago thing. But you can hear everything from Steely Dan to the Decemberists in regular rotation, and Breakfast with the Beatles is a Sunday morning stalwart.

2) 94.7 is WLS; it used to be the station my mom listened to, until she moved away. When she was a kid, they played rock'n'roll, they were top 40 through the '70s, talk radio in the '80s. They really serviced their demographic well for a long time. Now, it's an oldies station again, with Chicago legend Dick Biondi back at the helm. This guy's been playin' Elvis records in Chicago for fifty years!

3) Some other oldies station, I think... 93.9, maybe? More lite rockish, I think, but often listenable.

4) 97.9 WLUP - Rawk. Too much modern crap, but there seems to be about a fifty percent chance that they'll be playing an AC/DC song at any given moment. This is my one preset.

5) This one I hate. It's, like, disco and '80s dance shit. I don't mind a bit of disco, and they do play other '70s soul that I dig, but it's too much El DeBarge or whatever.

6) WLUW - College freeform station. She likes it 'cos they play reggae and world music a lot, I like it 'cos we played live on the air a couple of times, and I've heard them play my band before. It is very cool to be driving home on a Friday night and hear your own voice screaming out of the radio. cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff
United States
Linden
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Social Justice Wargamer
mbmbmbmbmb
CameronL wrote:
There's little left on the radio worth listening to, but it's there if you're willing to hunt (again, focus below 92.1).

Indeed, sir. As I said, I still have much love for the medium. It's still the most personal, and if you're looking in the right places, it can be the most innovative.

When people talk about how much they hate radio, I have to assume they've never turned the dial below 92. Non-commercial radio can be mind-blowingly awesome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
On Monday mornings, I'm dedicated to the proposition that All Men are created jerks.
United States
Stratford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Prismcat wrote:
What's NPR?

National Public Radio. They produce shows for public radio stations. Best known are their weekday drive time programs, Morning Edition and All Things Considered, and their weekend programs, Car Talk and Wait Wait Don't Tell Me.

Other popular public radio shows that are NOT connected in any way with NPR are A Prairie Home Companion (American Public Media) and This American Life (Public Radio International).

In Madison, NJ, try WBGO-FM: 88.3 or WNYC-FM: 93.9
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Stratford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I pretty sure I'm receiving a new car radio for Christmas. It will have an HD tuner, allowing me to chose between news plus classical music and all news and talk from my own public radio station. Can't wait!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
howl hollow howl
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
I don't have any presets. I tuned my AM station to sports talk (ESPN + local), my FM station to sports talk (local), and toggle between them.

Unfortunately, the Honda Civic is too loud on the highway to listen to music.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon
United States
Edmond
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
admin
Convention Committee
badge
BGG.CON! BGG.CON SPRING! BGG@SEA!
mbmbmbmbmb
CameronL wrote:

OKC public radio is KGOU/KROU at 106.3 and 105.7. Classical music is at 91.9
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christychan
United States
Somerville
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CameronL wrote:
Prismcat wrote:
What's NPR?

National Public Radio. They produce shows for public radio stations. Best known are their weekday drive time programs, Morning Edition and All Things Considered, and their weekend programs, Car Talk and Wait Wait Don't Tell Me.

Other popular public radio shows that are NOT connected in any way with NPR are A Prairie Home Companion (American Public Media) and This American Life (Public Radio International).

In Madison, NJ, try WBGO-FM: 88.3 or WNYC-FM: 93.9

cool Ah, ok, cool...

(jottted down station numbers to check out on the way home)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Becker
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have satellite radio as well. Here are the channels I listen to:

468982 - Monkey Farts Classics
5726 - Nina Hagen Screech-a-rama
992922993 - Interesting SETI Static
3290001 - Moaning and Wailing and Lamentation 3
30002202 - Glottis Grunts
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Roughly a 50/50 split between KQED and KDFC. In short: Classical and NPR. Occasionally I pop over to KCSM (Jazz), but it isn't a preset.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Burt
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
mb
1 is 92.1 or alternative music
2 is QR77 or Right Wing talk radio
3 is 96.9 or Jack FM
4 is 960 or Sports Talk Radio
5 is 1010 or CBC radio (left wing talk radio)
6 is 93.1 or the preset for my cell speakerphone....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Ross
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
On FM1, all five of my presets are set to our local public radio station. It makes it super easy to change the channel - I basically don't bother looking and just paw in the general direction.

On FM2, all five presets are set to a local Christian station. They used to be better, but I don't listen to it much any more.

On AM, all five of my presets are set to 890 WLS out of Chicago.

I usually keep it on FM1 (local public radio).

I do smile at the recollection of the time a rider (who should have known better) attempted to change the channel on MY radio. He was ambushed by... the same station.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
除名山 蔵芽戸
Japan
Sendai
Miyagi
flag msg tools
badge
All I ever listen to on the Radio is ESPN.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.