Subject: Rolling sheep for fun and profit rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Debije
Netherlands
Eindhoven
The Netherlands
flag msg tools
The Settlers of Catan Dice Game was published by Kosmos and designed by Klaus Teuber. It is designed for 1-4 players, although there is really no limit to the number that could play. The game takes around 15 minutes, and playable starting from about six years.

What You Get

In a small, red box you get six dice and a scorepad. That’s it. The dice are nice, with symbols of the famous Catan goods: sheep, grain, wood, brick, stone and gold, but you don’t get much for your money.

What You Do

Reminiscent of Yahtzee, the players take turn rolling the dice up to three times, securing any dice they desire between rolls as they try to form certain combinations to build things. For example, a road necessitates wood and brick, a city three rocks and two grain. You may also build traders for a sheep, rock and grain: these allow you a one-time-only chance to trade any other die for the good they produce. You may also exchange two gold results for one of any other good.

The scorepad provides a small map of the Catan island arrangement, and as such, limits the strategic decisions and prescribes a specific pathway for growth. You score points for everything you build. Roads are always 1 point, but villages, cities, and helpers gain increasing numbers of points. The game continues for 15 turns, whereupon the scores are totaled and a winner declared.

What I Think

Initially kind of entertaining, but the severe limitation on innovative gameplay by the repetitive map ekes the fun away. You are forced towards certain directions of play, and in our place the city-building route just gets to be too attractive due to the very high scores possible. My six/seven year old enjoys the game, and it is good for his math and determining odds as he decides what to keep and what to throw, but in general this has a short lifetime. Given the relatively high price for six dice, I’d advise you to find a discounted copy for a few plays, and then to think of a new way to use the dice, or a source for new maps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
EJ Holleman
Netherlands
Hengelo
Overijssel
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've downloaded the 'advanced' rules from Klaus Teuber's website, and the game is more fun (and more Catan) that way.

I agree with on your point of value-for-money. It's not much that comes in the box...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Maxwell
United States
Burtchville
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ejh231171 wrote:
I've downloaded the 'advanced' rules from Klaus Teuber's website, and the game is more fun (and more Catan) that way.

I agree with on your point of value-for-money. It's not much that comes in the box...

Yep, the Catan Dice Plus variant makes the game better. It resembles Settlers more closely and adds a 'race to the finish' feel to the game so it isn't so solitaire-ish.

http://www.catan.com/en/download/?Catan-DiceGame_plus.pdf

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Armando Gurrola
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds pretty lame as is, but with the variant could be fun. Maybe someday this will be the game to get me passed the free shipping mark somewhere cause not sure I would buy it otherwise.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.