brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I did a quick search but didn't find this mentioned here already:

Is no one else bothered by the fact that they mistakenly identified "Blackbeard" as Edward Drummond instead of of Edward Teach???

The short biographies seem pretty well researched and the other 5 pirates are spot on. This doesn't affect gameplay, but come on! How do you mess up one of the most famous pirates of all times? He even has his own board game!

Looking up Edward Drummond on wikipedia shows this isn't even close. He was not a pirate and was born over 70 years after Edward Teach reportedly died. What were the designers thinking?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hey, I've created a video channel! Hover over my avatar to get more info! :) - Josh -
Canada
Cambridge
Ontario
flag msg tools
My video channel has a Facebook page - Find it by searching "Josh Yaks page" on Facebook
badge
Find my video channel on YouTube as "Josh Yaks"!
mbmbmbmbmb
ColtsFan76 wrote:
I did a quick search but didn't find this mentioned here already:

Is no one else bothered by the fact that they mistakenly identified "Blackbeard" as Edward Drummond instead of of Edward Teach???

The short biographies seem pretty well researched and the other 5 pirates are spot on. This doesn't affect gameplay, but come on! How do you mess up one of the most famous pirates of all times? He even has his own board game!

Looking up Edward Drummond on wikipedia shows this isn't even close. He was not a pirate and was born over 70 years after Edward Teach reportedly died. What were the designers thinking?

This one had me puzzled as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Kudzma
United States
Millsboro
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
People are...
badge
SPOCKED!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I wonder if it's copyrighted somewhere?

Otherwise, my wife being a professor of history, we are both lost.

Heck we've even been to Blackbeard's hideout of Ocracoke Island off of NC, and they call him Teach!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Can you copyright history?

Alright. I read the wikipedia article I linked. I guess "Drummond" is considered to be an alnterante to his name. But strange that they went with that one. Every other game seems to default back to the "Teach" name. Even "Thatch" seems to be a better option than "Drummond."

I would be curious to know why they chose Drummond over the more commonly accepted ones.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Franklin
United States
Milton
Washington
flag msg tools
He sees you when you're sleeping; he knows when you're awake ...
badge
He knows if you've been bad or good.
mbmbmbmbmb
ColtsFan76 wrote:
I would be curious to know why they chose Drummond over the more commonly accepted ones.

Just a guess, as I honestly don't know - but the "more commonly accepted ones" are more commonly accepted in English.

This game wasn't written in English originally. "Drummond" may be more common in France.

Eric
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darryl Boone
Canada
Coquitlam
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Reading your recent posts has been like dipping my bottom over and over into a bath of the silkiest oils and creams.
mbmbmbmbmb
The French Wikipedia article reads a little differently than the English.

http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barbe_Noire

Quote:
Barbe Noire (vers 1680 - 22 novembre 1718), également connu sous le nom d'Edward Teach, Edward Thatch, Tash ou Tach et Edward Drummond (supposément son vrai nom et celui que lui donne Daniel Defoe) est un pirate anglais qui régna par la terreur sur les Caraïbes de 1716 à 1718.

Quote:
Blackbeard (circa 1680 - 22 November 1718), also known as Edward Teach, Edward Thatch, Tash or Tach and Edward Drummond (supposedly his real name and that gives Daniel Defoe) is an English pirate who reigned by terror on the Caribbean from 1716 to 1718.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Gamethyme wrote:
This game wasn't written in English originally. "Drummond" may be more common in France.

Good call. I had this thought after I posted and then looked up GameWorks website, realizing it wasn't an English original. Though he was an English pirate so it still would have made more sense to me to go with Teach or Thatch.

But I play Blue so Bellamy will be my pirate! arrrh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Captain Barbossa
msg tools
The reason for this is that the last names Teach, Thatch, etc that have been related to Blackbeard cannot be traced back (at least in what one would expect to be his family tree). However, there was a wealthy family, Drummond, that had a son, Edward, who was born at the same time, sailed for the same naval ships, registered on a census in the same town as he was expected to be from and so on. All the evidence supports that he was born a Drummond, but seeing as, even as ruthless as he was, he loved and respected his family so he did not want to tarnish the reputation they had. Thatch (which is what he signed) was probably just an alias.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.