4 Posts

Netrunner» Forums » General

Subject: rare card distribution in display boxes rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
x y
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
does anyone has experience with that? let's say display box of proteus has 36 boosters - there should be 36 rare cards (of 44). is it totally random and it is chance for many duplicates or those should be quite unique

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon
United States
Edmond
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
admin
Convention Committee
badge
BGG.CON! BGG.CON SPRING! BGG@SEA!
mbmbmbmbmb
I highly doubt they'd all be unique (speaking from the experience of openeing many, many booster boxes of MtG).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Pressler
United States
West Lafayette
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
OMG! Overtext! How long have I been sleeping?! OVERTEXT! Also, I'm a DESIGNER now?! Sweet! OVERTEXXXXXXT!
badge
HO HO HO! Give me some money!
mbmbmbmbmb
The original booster boxes did not have entirely random distributions. I may even have stats on a box I partially went through. I'll see if I can dig it up. Some duplicates are statistically expected, but the common cards often came in duplicated "sets".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Howell
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, drat. Looks like Netrunner was printed by Quebecor. I know how the Carta Mundi card scrambler worked, but I don't know what system Quebecor had. However, if commons were appearing in "sets," or somewhat predictable sequences, then they may have used a similar system, in which case, I would be pretty surprised if you saw duplicated rares. Imagine shuffling a deck of cards once or twice, then shuffling a different deck a couple of times, and stacking it on top of the first one. Now, deal off 36 cards from the stack at a time. The first stack is guaranteed to not have any dupes. The second stack might, depending on what overlapped between the two decks. The third stack won't have any dupes again. That's a rough approximation of CM's card scrambler, although a "deck" was 121 cards for Magic rares, not 52. Netrunner had four printing plates; I don't remember how many rares there are.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.