Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Stephen Brackman
United States
S. Grafton
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What exactly does that mean? I have three possible ideas.

He gets to use 1-5 for withdrawing rather than his Battle Rating?

Normally only the player with initiative may withdraw but if he can withdraw before battle does that create an exception? If so how does the battle sequence work, before BC are dealt or after?

Do they really mean avoid battle?

How does Wargameroom implement?

Thanks in advance for enlightenment.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Petr Houzar
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
Yes, he may avoid battle on 1-5. Thats not withdrawing from the ongoing battle, just that retreat before the battle actually happens.
wargameroom implements it just like that, avoid on 1-5 instead of his battle rating (that would be 1-3).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Board Misprints
The ability text for Fabius printed on the board is erroneous, according to the designer himself, in this thread:
Simon7itch wrote:
The text on the map is confusing. It should state that Fabius Avoids Battle on a die roll of 1-5.

Interestingly (also in that thread) it seems that Fabius's ability was misprinted in the AH edition too, but differently.

By the way, in case you haven't caught it already, there is one other misprint on the board, in the attrition table. Under die roll modifiers it says "-1 if crossing a non-Alps pass". The "-1" should be -2. (Compare rule 10.6, which is correct.)

Other than that, as far as I know, there are no more errors on the board - except for spelling mistakes.

"Gallia Transalpinia" and "Gallia Cisalpinia" should be Gallia Transalpina and Gallia Cisalpina. (There's a superfluous "i" in what should have been adjectives.) This one seems to have been around unmodified since the AH version. (It's also on some cards.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Per Sylvan
Sweden
STOCKHOLM
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mb
...that ability of Fabius is a really powerful one.
If Hannibal goes rampant in Italy, then Fabius can sit in Hannibals way, constantly Avoiding Battle, and really slow Hanni down!

The power of Fabius came clear to me in my last game. Fabius basically kept Rome in the game for several turns, up until Scipio Afr finally could save the day..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Fox
United States
Chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
Fear cannot be banished, but it can be calm and without panic; it can be mitigated by reason and evaluation.
badge
A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals, and you know it.
mbmbmbmbmb
Perry wrote:
...that ability of Fabius is a really powerful one.
If Hannibal goes rampant in Italy, then Fabius can sit in Hannibals way, constantly Avoiding Battle, and really slow Hanni down!

The power of Fabius came clear to me in my last game. Fabius basically kept Rome in the game for several turns, up until Scipio Afr finally could save the day..

Fabius is my favorite Roman Consul in the game. The situation gets much better for Rome when he's playing the role of Hannibal's shadow.

Robert

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Garner
United States
Fayetteville
Arkansas
flag msg tools
also Game Developer
badge
Personal LnLT Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry if this is off-topic but, nice name FuManchu... wow, does that bring back some old memories of my childhood and mid-night horror movies on Friday nights!! Thanks for that, dude!

Oh yeah... GO HANNIBAL!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Head
United Kingdom
Halesowen
flag msg tools
I'm currently getting messed up with Hannibal by this Fabius blocking tactic - clever and very frustrating, and yes Scipio A is about to turn up!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.