Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Buetow
United States
McHenry
Illinois
flag msg tools
Combat Commander Archivist
badge
Move! Advance! Fire! Rout! Recover! Artillery Denied! Artillery Request! Command Confusion...say what?!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a big fan of CC:E. It's one of my favorite games. Of course, having some gaming buddies who aren't afraid to try something intensely complex (we can actually fly our ships in Attack Vector: Tactical!) I've looked once in a while, with a passing glance, through the window, as I sped by, at ASL.

Then I saw that ASLSK#1 was back in print. That means check it out. Read the reviews. Read Jay's tutorials. Seems to be more complicated than I want to invest in (in terms of energy learning, etc.) But it's THE granddaddy of all squad based games, isn't it? It's so cheap. And if it goes out of print again, it will appreciate in value, no? Back and forth. OK. Bought it.

Read through the rules. Re-read Jay's tutorials. Played solo through S1 to get a feel for things (using the Tip sheet/Turn Order guide from the files on the 'Geek.). Reread the rules again, trying to mentally note important details (but too lazy to grab a highlighter or take other notes).

Finally today, got a chance to play with my gaming buddies. Played Risdon first in S1 as the Americans. I actually surrender on turn 4 when it was quite clear I could not eject him from the buildings. Second game against Marc. This time I took the Germans. It came down to the final American turn, with two building hexes containing Germans. The first one was only one squad and he was easily overwhelmed in CC (odds were big...nobody even had to roll!) Then, in the last hex with my Germans in it. He moves toward them, gets in a position to advance...advances in...it's only two leaders now (we had pinned and broken their squads).

Bad odds. Even worse...ambush! And I quickly dispatch them. Leaving the Americans out in the cold because we had one of the four building hexes under our control!

So anyway...I'm in! I thought it was an awesome, dangerous (so much fire from both sides!) game and it was exciting to play. Time to "level up" and check out the next to SKs while playing through the rest of the SK#1 scenarios.

My name's Mark, and I'm an ASLSK player...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
the scrub
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats on joining the fraternity!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russell Gifford
United States
South Sioux City
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
(All together now "Hi Mark!"

Congratulations on your induction. It is a great hobby.

---Russ

Also, you might check these out. While they are for ASL, Not SK, a lot of people seem to like them.... (Audio versions are available, too.)

www.russgifford.net/asl_training.htm

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Pytel
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Have fun! It's a fantastic game with a great community.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Buman
United States
Harlan
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to the fold!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Bluerock
United States
Mufreesboro
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
HI MARK!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The 2 Half-Squads
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
That's it! I'm done! Now there are TOO MANY ASL players in the world! I'm out. I'm gonna find something else to play. Adios! Exit stage right, even. Ciao, baby!!
OK. I'm back. I just couldn't leave. It's too hard to kick the habit. I have to say it. . .
"ASL . . . you . . . complete me." cry

[Sigh]

Welcome, Mark

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buetow
United States
McHenry
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
Move! Advance! Fire! Rout! Recover! Artillery Denied! Artillery Request! Command Confusion...say what?!
mbmbmbmbmb
the2halfsquads wrote:

OK. I'm back. I just couldn't leave. It's too hard to kick the habit. I have to say it. . .

Whew! For a minute there, I thought I might have driven you out of the podcasting business...and just when I'm getting started!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juan Siso
Spain
Barcelona
flag msg tools
badge
Praise the sun!
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome and say goodbye to you'r social life.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buetow
United States
McHenry
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DReaper wrote:
Welcome and say goodbye to you'r social life.

Gaming IS my social life!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russell Gifford
United States
South Sioux City
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Audio AND VIDEO for these now available!
By the way - this page has changed. NOW it includes AUDIO and VIDEO.

While they are for ASL, Not SK, a lot of people seem to like them.... (Audio versions are available, too.)

There are 5 sessions, and they REQUIRE FLASH 7 or above. And they will take a minute or two to load before they start to play!

Let me know how it works for you!

www.russgifford.net/asl_training.htm

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Zug
United States
Charlottesville
Virginia
flag msg tools
Board Gamer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You have made the right decision. I have been happily addicted since 1986. I can quit anytime I want to, but I choose not to quit since only rehab is for quitters!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.