12 Posts

Carcassonne» Forums » General

Subject: Carcassonne rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tammy Pettersen

Minnesota
msg tools
I just bought this game for my family, but don't know a whole lot about it. I was wondering if someone could give me their review on this? Also, I noticed there are expansions for this game. What would be good ones to start with?

Thanks,Tammy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DC
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
gurlsofgrace wrote:
I just bought this game for my family, but don't know a whole lot about it. I was wondering if someone could give me their review on this? Also, I noticed there are expansions for this game. What would be good ones to start with?

Thanks,Tammy

Hi Tammy, and welcome to the 'geek!

There are lots of reviews of Carcassonne here. You can find them by going to the Carcassonne page (just click that link), and then scroll down to the blue box labeled "Browse Game Forum". Click "Reviews" and there you go! If you want to see the reviews which most people thought were helpful, click the "hot" link in that same box.

Here is a review I think you might find useful (I just looked through a couple and choose one that seemed to talk about the things that make it a good game). Here's one with more info about the rules.

As far as expansions, I think almost everyone agrees that Carcassonne: Expansion 1 – Inns & Cathedrals is one of the best expansions. It adds pieces for a 6th player, and increases the fun without upping the complexity too much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patiently waiting for the zombie apocalypse...
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Carcassonne: Expansion 2 – Traders & Builders and Inns & Cathedrals is essential to the Carc experience. I have... I believe every expansion, but those two expansions mention here and above are necessary and creates an excellent game. Carc is a great game, which is friendly to new gamers.

I would also encourage you getting familiar with the 3rd Edition scoring... It is much simpler then the base game farm scoring.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guest Starring...
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gurlsofgrace wrote:
Also, I noticed there are expansions for this game. What would be good ones to start with?

This is one of the games that I feel work best without any expansions. They seem to needlessly complicate the game without adding to the fun.

(OK, I do like the tiny ones that just add a couple tiles.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Maxwell
United States
Burtchville
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Inns and Cathedrals is great, but it definitely adds more aggression to the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Morris
England
Faversham
Kent
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Most people would say that either Traders and Builders OR Inns and Cathedrals is the best expansion. I personally prefer Inns and Cathedrals cos it adds some competition (Big meeple!) and the chance to increase the value of roads and cities BUT with the chance of really screwing someone up if you're nasty like me.
It also doesn't add any other "things" to remember unlike Traders and Builders which adds different pieces with different rules into the game.

I also play with River II which is just more river pieces for the start (including a fork so that the river splits into two) and the extra tiles which were available once.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
...sure...
Netherlands
Rijen
Noord Brabant
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to BGG!

Traders&Builders and Inns&Cathedrals are the 2 best expansions, but play the game a few times. See if you all like it and if you do, play it some more. Carcassonne is a very good game and easy enough to teach. Add on expansions later.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Branko K.
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
First of all, love your topic title!

I guess you have already found the reviews, so I'd like to put in my word about the expansions. If you decide you like Carcassonne, get Carcassonne: Expansion 1 – Inns & Cathedrals - it's an expansion which really makes rather subtle additions to the original game which however improve gameplay greatly.

Other expansions.. meh. They are sort of an acquired taste. If you REALLY get hooked on Carc, consider Carcassonne: Expansion 2 – Traders & Builders if you want to make a game a bit more strategic, or Carcassonne: Expansion 3 – The Princess & The Dragon if you want it a little bit more chaotic. But for the time now just stick with Inns&Cathedrals.. too many expansions thrown into the mix just make the game feel bloated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just Huck, No,
United States
Sperry
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome!

I agree with some of the posters that it's best to play the base game a couple of times to get used to the rules and gameplay, after that I'd add Carcassonne: Expansion 1 – Inns & Cathedrals and play that a few times to see if you like it and the rules additions. If you don't like the new rules keep the tiles and ignore the rules. Then add Carcassonne: Expansion 2 – Traders & Builders for additonal tiles/rules/strategy. Carcassonne: The River II is cheap and can be added any time without much trouble. The other expansions are fun but are rarely included in our games but I do have the Carcassonne: King & Scout and Carcassonne: Expansion 5 – Abbey & Mayor tiles mixed in without using the meeple pieces/rules for more tiles.

I would also definately recommend getting a shoe bag or similar to dump all the tiles in to draw from, makes setup/re-starting easier. (I use the carc bag from one of the expansions for the river/river II tiles and a bigger bag for all the other.

Happy Gaming,

TOH

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Branko K.
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Other Huck wrote:
Carcassonne: The River II is cheap and can be added any time without much trouble.

We stopped using The river 2. The big farm it creates is irritating.

In fact, I have found that when playing with new players, sometimes it pays off to add I&C and T&B right away, but play without farmers. I know this will be considered blasphemy to many, but after MANY plays of Carcassonne I've concluded farmers are the biggest downer for the new players - experienced players always use them to rack up HUGE end-game points while the newbies either waste their meeples on low-point farms or struggle really bad to find out how the hell do they place an "attack" on an existing farm. I am not sure why exactly, but while "attacking" a city is almost always rather straightforward and everyone catches on rather quickly, trying to add your own meeples to an occupied farm seems to present a visually rather difficult task for many.

Of course, I wouldn't dream about playing without farmers when playing with an experienced Carc crowd.. but that kind of crowd is almost always more eager to play Agricola, Catan: Cities & Knights or a fiercely competitive session of Ticket to Ride...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just Huck, No,
United States
Sperry
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
baba44713 wrote:
The Other Huck wrote:
Carcassonne: The River II is cheap and can be added any time without much trouble.

We stopped using The river 2. The big farm it creates is irritating.

In fact, I have found that when playing with new players, sometimes it pays off to add I&C and T&B right away, but play without farmers. I know this will be considered blasphemy to many, but after MANY plays of Carcassonne I've concluded farmers are the biggest downer for the new players - experienced players always use them to rack up HUGE end-game points while the newbies either waste their meeples on low-point farms or struggle really bad to find out how the hell do they place an "attack" on an existing farm. I am not sure why exactly, but while "attacking" a city is almost always rather straightforward and everyone catches on rather quickly, trying to add your own meeples to an occupied farm seems to present a visually rather difficult task for many.

Of course, I wouldn't dream about playing without farmers when playing with an experienced Carc crowd.. but that kind of crowd is almost always more eager to play Agricola, Catan: Cities & Knights or a fiercely competitive session of Ticket to Ride...

I almost put something in about the large field that the river creates but since adding River II and putting all the tiles (including the end pieces) into the bag and drawing until the river gets finished (had as few as 6 tiles to almost emptying the bag) we haven't had the monster field.

I also second the motion to play the first and possibly the second game without farmers (but review the rules and look for fields anyway...). Blasphemy? Maybe but easier to grasp the concept of the game a little at a time but a must once you get a handle on gameplay. I also like the other game choices...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
marc li
China
flag msg tools
As a rookie, I love Carcassonne, especial with my wife.
I think for the family only the base/maybe with river will be the best choice. If all of you love it, you can add other expansions into this game.

Happy Gaming:)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.