Popular Tags: [View All]
David Culp
United States
Carrollton
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am sitting here with my shopping cart trying to figure out which of the following games to delete from the list:

Brass
Through the Ages (Third Edition)
Amyitis
Dominion

I cant buy all four, so which one would you put back and why? In other words, help me make up my mind!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Goodrich
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Why can't more games have a handicapping mechanism?
badge
Becoming immortal!
mbmbmbmbmb
Amyitis, definitely. I'm a big Ystari fan, but this one is just so-so; not horrible, but not great either, and can have a runaway leader problem. I haven't played Brass and Dominion, but I'd love to, and from what I've read, they are quite well liked. Through the Ages is amazing, I'd definitely pick it up if I were you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Casiglio
United States
Ansonia
CT
flag msg tools
ConnCon 2018 March 23, 24, 25 in Stamford, CT
badge
mbmbmb
For me: Amyitis ... and I like Amyitis. But you've listed three other awesome games that fill three great niches (short, medium and long).

For you: It might depend. What about Race for the Galaxy makes you rate it a 5? Dominion has a similar feel (although it is significantly more accessable). Based on your ratings I feel more confident you'd like the other three.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Culp
United States
Carrollton
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Csigs wrote:
For me: Amyitis ... and I like Amyitis. But you've listed three other awesome games that fill three great niches (short, medium and long).

For you: It might depend. What about Race for the Galaxy makes you rate it a 5? Dominion has a similar feel (although it is significantly more accessable). Based on your ratings I feel more confident you'd like the other three.

I don't know what it is about Race for the Galaxy that makes me rate it a 5. I just never took to it and even I find that odd because I like San Juan and they are similar.

I have been told that Dominion may scratch the old Magic the Gathering itch I used to have in the days of my youth.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin
United States
Creve Coeur
MO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only played Dominion. I would put Amyitis back because it doesn't seem as interesting. Both Brass and TTA seem to have love or hate responses. I'll take that over, "it's OK..."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Seitz
United States
Glen Allen
VA
flag msg tools
badge
Like water spilled on the ground, which cannot be recovered, so we must die. But God does not take away life; instead, he devises ways so that a banished person may not remain estranged from him. 2 Sam 14:14
mbmbmbmbmb
Amyitis
The other 3 are all great games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Captain Spaulding
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just don't put back Through The Ages or Brass and I'm happy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Fisk
United Kingdom
Stoke on Trent
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
Come on you Seagulls! Sami Hyppia's Blue & White army!
badge
That's weird. This bit used to mention Shire Games, and tell you all how wonderful we are. But it seems to have got deleted. Let's see what happens this time ....
mbmbmbmbmb
dwculp wrote:
Csigs wrote:

I don't know what it is about Race for the Galaxy that makes me rate it a 5. I just never took to it and even I find that odd because I like San Juan and they are similar.

I have been told that Dominion may scratch the old Magic the Gathering itch I used to have in the days of my youth.

I like San Juan.

Didn't like Race for the Galaxy

But we love Dominion.

Leave it in your cart ... you won't regret it

N.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fraser
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
No help to you at all, but I'd put back Dominion because we already have it in the house. Don't have the others yet
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Though the Ages. Overpriced.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Helen Holzgrafe
United States
Happy Valley
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Put back Amytis. Dominion is way better than Amytis. Brass and Through the Ages are two of the very best games ever. Do not miss your chance to own either one. Through the Ages may cost a lot, but it hits the table at our house more often than food many weeks.

-Helen

(edits for spelling)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Culp
United States
Carrollton
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Amyitis it is, which was also the game I was leaning towards deleting anyway. Thanks for helping me make up my mind. The games have been ordered and the damage done to my bank account

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Bender
United States
Knoxville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Amyitis.

Through the Ages is a terrific civilization building card game.
Dominion is a great filler that should appeal to CCG players.
Brass is an excellent economic game that rewards careful planning.

Amyitis is good, but it just doesn't shine the way the other three do.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ubergeek
United States
Washougal
Washington
flag msg tools
Be Happy in your Game!
badge
I spent 100 Geek Gold and all I got was this lousy overtext message!
mbmbmbmbmb
Well if for instance you like board games and don't like card games, put back Dominion. Also if you like something that plays best with 3-4 players, again, put back Dominion (I like the 2-player version of it best). But if the opposites hold true, then I'd put back Through the Ages as it's probably the most complex of the four games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Pranno
United States
Chardon
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Amyitis. Of the four you just mentioned, one of them is no longer in my collection. Bet you can't guess which one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
daniel silverthorne
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have to agree with most here, Amyitis must be discarded, However looking at your rating of games and what you own....Dominion may not be your game. good luck and hell you get 3 games enjoy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Amyitis.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mb
UnknownParkerBrother wrote:

And for me, if they charged double what they do now I'd still get more fun for my buck than with most other games.

Amyitis is the odd game out for me, and I haven't even played Brass.

-MMM
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Goodrich
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Why can't more games have a handicapping mechanism?
badge
Becoming immortal!
mbmbmbmbmb
Octavian wrote:
UnknownParkerBrother wrote:

And for me, if they charged double what they do now I'd still get more fun for my buck than with most other games.

Amen. While objectively it's overpriced (that is, for the physical components you get in the box), I don't feel ripped off or gouged. The game is so balanced and so complex yet pretty unobtrusive in terms of learning and playing that I feel like the designer earned that extra money (I know, I know, he's not seeing all of it - I'm talking ideally here).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dirk Liekens
Belgium
hechtel
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
I would definately buy Amyitis and Brass if I was you.

And for what it's worth: I like playing MTG now and then, but I don't like Dominion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dewsbery
United Kingdom
Sutton Coldfield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would put back Through The Ages AND Amyitis. Amyitis because I thought it was horrible; Through The Ages because there are other, better long games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Wyka
United States
Walnut Creek
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RDewsbery wrote:
I would put back Through The Ages AND Amyitis. Amyitis because I thought it was horrible; Through The Ages because there are other, better long games.

Really? What long game (3+ hours) is great for three players and isn't a wargame? Inquiring minds want to know....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Green
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Only one on the list I played was Brass, and I won the first game by a landslide even though I only hardly knew the rules. That always bodes ill for me with any game. If there are better players at the table, I should not win, even if we are all new to the game. I honestly can't see myself ever playing it again. I would much rather have a game that is hard to win unless you've played it a few times, so a win feels satisfying and not like playing Quest for the Magic Carrot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David G. Cox Esq.
Australia
Lighthouse Beach
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
Do what you can, with what you've got, where you are.
mbmbmbmbmb
dwculp wrote:
I am sitting here with my shopping cart trying to figure out which of the following games to delete from the list:

Brass
Through the Ages (Third Edition)
Amyitis
Dominion

I cant buy all four, so which one would you put back and why? In other words, help me make up my mind!

I have played Brass, Amyitis and Dominion.

I would put back Dominion. It seems extremely repetitive - you appear to be doing the same thing over and over...and over...and over...again.

Brass is a brilliant design which focuses on supply and demand. Skilful players can create a demand and then supply it themselves. Forward planning plays a big part in Brass.

Amyitis is a fine game with quite a few options each game regarding the best way to win - lots of choices.

I have not seen Through the Ages but do have it on order.

I had intended to purchase Dominion but was lucky enough to play it first and then decided that it really is not my sort of game...sort of game...sort of game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.