Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jon Erik Tosterud
Norway
Dal
Akershus
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have 2 questions about the rules in Agricola. I would love some help with these questions.

1. Can you convert an animal to food at any time, or do you need a card to convert animal? ( The rules say unprossed animal has no food value)

2. Whats the point of baking bread, when you have cards you can convert grain to food at any time? ( is the baking bread action meant for special cards which can't convert at any time)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The only things you can eat without a cooking method are food, grain and vegetables (each of which is worth 1 food per token.)

If you have a cooking implement, you may use it at any time, except that

(1) You may only bake bread with a bake bread action

(2) You may not cook an animal immediately after animal reproduction during harvest and before finding a place for the new animal to be kept.

Baking bread is special and requires an action, unlike cooking an animal or vegetables. There are some cards that allow conversion of grain to food without baking bread.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harald Torvatn
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jonto@rocketmail.com wrote:
I have 2 questions about the rules in Agricola. I would love some help with these questions.

1. Can you convert an animal to food at any time, or do you need a card to convert animal? ( The rules say unprossed animal has no food value)

2. Whats the point of baking bread, when you have cards you can convert grain to food at any time? ( is the baking bread action meant for special cards which can't convert at any time)

1) You cam convert an animal to food at any time, except during the Breeding phase. However, you must have a suitable card to do it (an oven or fireplace or something similar (something which says it can convert animals to food.))

2) Bread will usually give you more food per grain counter than you will get by just converting grain. If you have a ggod car which let you convert grain to foos at a good rate anytime, you may not need the bake bread action at all. But usually you have no such card (the conversion everybody can do will give you one food per grain, which is bad.) Most of the things which can comvert grain to food at a good rate does that through the bake bread action, so I would not call these cards special.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
filip de maesschalck
Belgium
lokeren
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Eric Brosius wrote:

(2) You may not cook an animal immediately after animal reproduction during harvest and before finding a place for the new animal to be kept.

I always thought you can take animals and cook them without you having place for them.... (outside the breeding phase that is...)

or am I reading you wrong?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Eve
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
rabidrabbit wrote:

I always thought you can take animals and cook them without you having place for them.... (outside the breeding phase that is...)

That is what he means; when he says "immediately after animal reproduction" and "before finding a place for the new animal to be kept" he means these to describe the same scenario.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
filip de maesschalck
Belgium
lokeren
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
okay!

sorry for the misreading...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Maxwell
United States
Burtchville
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rabidrabbit wrote:
Eric Brosius wrote:

No, you've got it right.

- You can take sheep with your action and immediately cook them without having the space for them.

- What you can't do is say "Hey, I have 2 boars with NO room for a third one. It's harvest time, and when my 2 boar make offspring, I'm going to turn the offspring into food right away."

That would be cheating.

Edit: Philip beat me to it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tibs
United States
Amherst
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mr_Nuts wrote:
- What you can't do is say "Hey, I have 2 boars with NO room for a third one. It's harvest time, and when my 2 boar make offspring, I'm going to turn the offspring into food right away."

I wrestled with the implications of this rule for a while, and I found that the best way to remember it is that if there's no room for the baby animal, then simply no baby is made.

If you have to kill one of your two boars to make room, well then you've killed one and there's no longer two, so they can't breed anyway!

Suffice to say, I've never had this conundrum—and have happily bred, and later slaughtered (en masse), my dumb animals.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mo Cassidy
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Jonto@rocketmail.com wrote:

I'm sorry if I misunderstand the question, but do you realise you need an oven/fireplace/etc. to bake bread?
Even if you have a fireplace or oven, you can't just convert grain to food as shown the card, you have to use the bake bread action to do that conversion. Also, without an oven/fireplace/etc. (or some other special occupation or minor), the bake bread action does NOTHING and therefore may not be selected.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Erik Tosterud
Norway
Dal
Akershus
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for all your answers :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.