Kris J
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
. . . or just let me nibble your soul . . . .
badge
Electra Bellum. Electra Gloriosum.
mbmbmbmbmb
As Mark Jackson anticipates in this thread:

http://boardgamegeek.com/forum/53/forum/1

The deal is indeed settlers and the price has been revealed to be a party-inducing $15. (?)

Free shipping for you slavering folks, as well, if you're clever or an Amazon fan!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin J
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Amazon Gold Box Settlers of Catan Deal Revealed: $14.99 - DEAL ENDS 12PM PACIFIC, 14 OCTOBER 2008! Limit 1! (We need a third thread!) (?)
I wonder when Mayfair is going to stop supplying Amazon with their games? You know, after Mayfair's ultimatum and all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly Bass
United States
Venice
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Amazon Gold Box Settlers of Catan Deal Revealed: $14.99 - DEAL ENDS 12PM PACIFIC, 14 OCTOBER 2008! Limit 1! (We need a third thread!) (?)
I bet you mean DECEMBER.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Ulman
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
HauRuck wrote:
you can't stop a company from being responsible and cutting the price down to move product that is wasting valuable shelf and/or warehouse space.

I'm no expert, but wasn't the whole point of the Supreme Court decision that you can stop a company from doing just that?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Sheets
United States
Pinson
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ulmangt wrote:
I'm no expert, but wasn't the whole point of the Supreme Court decision that you can stop a company from doing just that?

I think the thing is that companies are free to sell the product at whatever price they wish, but in turn the manufacturer is free to not provide them any more copies if they didn't like the price the last sold at.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Hoffman
United States
Ashburn
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tatoolo wrote:
I wonder when Mayfair is going to stop supplying Amazon with their games? You know, after Mayfair's ultimatum and all.

I haven't read the actual terms of Mayfair's agreement, so this is pure speculation, but I would suspect that there's an out in there somewhere for limited-time sale pricing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schenck
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
GO BUCKS!
badge
Stop touching me!
mbmbmbmbmb
Infininight wrote:
I think the thing is that companies are free to sell the product at whatever price they wish, but in turn the manufacturer is free to not provide them any more copies if they didn't like the price the last sold at.

How freaking sad is it that we needed the supreme court for this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Crane
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Although the gold box deal is apparently over, their standard price is $19, which is pretty good. I only have Settlers of Zarahemla, and I'd like to try the expansions, so this is tempting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Sauberer
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It looks like Amazon is relying on the "Advertised" part of the "Minimum Advertised Price" policy of Mayfair.

You can only see the $19.99 price for base Settlers if you click on a link. This qualifies as "asking for the price" and so they can then show it since it is not being "advertised."

This loophole could be used by other retailers if they wanted to.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James King
United States
North Central Louisiana / No Longer A Resident of the Shreveport/Bossier City Area
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
HauRuck wrote:
tatoolo wrote:

In my opinion they engaged in that in the first place in order to make it attractive enough for places like Amazon & Barnes & Nobles to order Gazillions of their games in the first place. They don't really appear to be moving at my local B&N Bookstore either and you can't stop a company from being responsible and cutting the price down to move product that is wasting valuable shelf and/or warehouse space.

Well, Barnes & Nobel already offers both a regular 10% discount along with discount coupons. The problem is that thus far, neither Amazon nor Barnes & Noble has aggressively promoted the fact that they carry such exclusive special-ediition games to their idaal target audience/market.

Moreover, neither Amazon nor Barnes & Noble had to be sold on the notion of price-fixing since that price-fixing dictates that no smaller mom-and-pop retail stores could outcompete them pricewise since all stores are supposed to carry those price-fixing companies' games for virtually the same price. Also, not many smaller stores are able to offer regular member discounts much less attractive free-shipping incentives for purchases as low as $25.00.

So yes indeed, big-box stores like Barnes & Noble and Amazon benefit most from price-fixing anyway. (You seemed to be of similar opinion, only for different reasons though.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James King
United States
North Central Louisiana / No Longer A Resident of the Shreveport/Bossier City Area
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cbs42 wrote:
Infininight wrote:

How freaking sad is it that we needed the supreme court for this?

It would be even freakin' sadder if we *didn't* have the Supreme Court to determine the legality of such questionable business practices as monopolies and suppression of competition (the latter category of which price-fixing would most likely fall under).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.