Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
10 Posts

Fields of Fire» Forums » General

Subject: Game Question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
d -
msg tools
This looks to be a terrific game with good replay. A quick question:

I'm not sure how to handle the attachments For instance, in scenario 1, Arty FO is listed as an attachment. Should I just attach to a Co HQ? I didn't see this in the rules but may have missed it.

Also, does anyone know when GMT is posting the EOP.

Thanks.

D
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Stephan
United States
Millersville
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's your choice.

You could send him out with the Platoon HQ that is attacking the main objective, or hold him back with the Company CO to relay commands calls-for-fire.

With the platoon he may be unable to help anyone else but he can use his own LOS to the target. With the Coy. CO he can relay the info but relies on the Platoon leaders for the observation of the rounds.

He is safer with the Captain (or he should be).

Mike
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
d -
msg tools
Thanks a lot. Really appreciate it.

One other question if I may:

is is common to keep the units of a single platoon together on a card or should the hq still be able to give orders to his units if in adjacent cards.

Thanks again. Great game.

D
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr. Urza, PhD of Dungeon Crawl
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
StephanStrategy wrote:
It's your choice.

You could send him out with the Platoon HQ that is attacking the main objective, or hold him back with the Company CO to relay commands calls-for-fire.

With the platoon he may be unable to help anyone else but he can use his own LOS to the target. With the Coy. CO he can relay the info but relies on the Platoon leaders for the observation of the rounds.

He is safer with the Captain (or he should be).

Mike

What is this "relaying" you speak of? My understanding is that the FO (or the CO HQ) has to have LOS to the target to call in a fire mission.

So I can give a CO TacNet comm device to an FO, and in effect, call in fire missions from anyone on CO TacNet?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Stephan
United States
Millersville
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
d107111 wrote:
Thanks a lot. Really appreciate it.

One other question if I may:

is is common to keep the units of a single platoon together on a card or should the hq still be able to give orders to his units if in adjacent cards.

Thanks again. Great game.

D


You can keep the platoon together on a single card but with all the men in the same area, the chance of casualties increases.

A good rule of thumb is to make contact with the smallest formation possible, practically in the game that is the squad. Once a card is cleared, it is relatively safe to move into (it won't produce a new contact). Also, being able to fire from different cards means you can get the enemy units in a crossfire, pin them, then finish them off.

Every game will be a tactical problem to solve. And since the map will be different every time, even with the same missions, and the contacts will change, what worked in one game may not work in another.

Enjoy!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
d -
msg tools
StephanStrategy wrote:
d107111 wrote:
Thanks a lot. Really appreciate it.

One other question if I may:

is is common to keep the units of a single platoon together on a card or should the hq still be able to give orders to his units if in adjacent cards.

Thanks again. Great game.

D


You can keep the platoon together on a single card but with all the men in the same area, the chance of casualties increases.

A good rule of thumb is to make contact with the smallest formation possible, practically in the game that is the squad. Once a card is cleared, it is relatively safe to move into (it won't produce a new contact). Also, being able to fire from different cards means you can get the enemy units in a crossfire, pin them, then finish them off.

Every game will be a tactical problem to solve. And since the map will be different every time, even with the same missions, and the contacts will change, what worked in one game may not work in another.

Enjoy!


Thanks a lot. Really appreciate the help. Looking forward to someone posting an AAR or tutorial but I think I'm getting there.

D
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Stephan
United States
Millersville
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Urza47 wrote:
StephanStrategy wrote:
It's your choice.

You could send him out with the Platoon HQ that is attacking the main objective, or hold him back with the Company CO to relay commands calls-for-fire.

With the platoon he may be unable to help anyone else but he can use his own LOS to the target. With the Coy. CO he can relay the info but relies on the Platoon leaders for the observation of the rounds.

He is safer with the Captain (or he should be).

Mike

What is this "relaying" you speak of? My understanding is that the FO (or the CO HQ) has to have LOS to the target to call in a fire mission.

So I can give a CO TacNet comm device to an FO, and in effect, call in fire missions from anyone on CO TacNet?


The FO can call directly from his position if he is assigned a field phone or radio of his own, or the Platoon HQ can call back on the Company NET and the FO can the call for fire on the BN NET as long as he is with the Company Commander.

6.7.1
Communication
The eligible observer must be in communication with the appropriate originator. Note that communication on a CO TAC Net and BN TAC Net allows for calls to be relayed without additional commands.

Also, see 4.2.4.g The call can be by the HQ or Staff itself.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Corzo
United States
Pembroke Pines
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
StephanStrategy wrote:
Urza47 wrote:
StephanStrategy wrote:
It's your choice.

You could send him out with the Platoon HQ that is attacking the main objective, or hold him back with the Company CO to relay commands calls-for-fire.

With the platoon he may be unable to help anyone else but he can use his own LOS to the target. With the Coy. CO he can relay the info but relies on the Platoon leaders for the observation of the rounds.

He is safer with the Captain (or he should be).

Mike

What is this "relaying" you speak of? My understanding is that the FO (or the CO HQ) has to have LOS to the target to call in a fire mission.

So I can give a CO TacNet comm device to an FO, and in effect, call in fire missions from anyone on CO TacNet?


The FO can call directly from his position if he is assigned a field phone or radio of his own, or the Platoon HQ can call back on the Company NET and the FO can the call for fire on the BN NET as long as he is with the Company Commander.

6.7.1
Communication
The eligible observer must be in communication with the appropriate originator. Note that communication on a CO TAC Net and BN TAC Net allows for calls to be relayed without additional commands.

Also, see 4.2.4.g The call can be by the HQ or Staff itself.



When you say as long as he is with the Company Commander, do you mean that they are at the same location?

When you attach units like if you attached the Arty FO to the COmpany Headquarters you just list it under the CO Headquarters formation not the unit right? You don't combine their steps ?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Stephan
United States
Millersville
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No, I mean they are on the same card. Attached in the sense that they are in the same place.

The FO will be assigned his own radio. When you look at the game, the FO gets two draws to get a "burst icon" in most missions while the HQ's generally only get one draw. Reason being they are in direct communication with the battery and better at calling for fire.

That is why keeping the FO in relative safety is important.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ross Mortell
England
Bristol
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
StephanStrategy wrote:

The FO can call directly from his position if he is assigned a field phone or radio of his own, or the Platoon HQ can call back on the Company NET and the FO can the call for fire on the BN NET as long as he is with the Company Commander.

6.7.1
Communication
The eligible observer must be in communication with the appropriate originator. Note that communication on a CO TAC Net and BN TAC Net allows for calls to be relayed without additional commands.

Also, see 4.2.4.g The call can be by the HQ or Staff itself.



My understanding was that an eligible observor must be one listed on the attachment list on the mission sheet. 6.7.1 just means that, for example, if the Company CO called the fire in he could relay the call to the Artillery without using additional commands.

In other words on mission 1 the only people who could call in the artillery are the Coy CO and the Art FO. The one calling the fire in must have LOS to the target. 6.7.1 just allows the Coy CO to call the fire in even though not on the ART comms net.

I don't believe that a PLT CO could observe for the fire and then pass this info back to the Coy CO (via Radio/Phone) who then tells the ART FO what is happening so that he can then call the artillery in.

I have been wrong before though

Ross
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.