Subject: Box of Golf - Course Design Poll rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Doug Snyder
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Since the course offerings for Box of Golf are rather limited, I have decided to build an unofficial version of Augusta National. In addition to laying out each of the holes and corresponding greens, I am trying to design the course in such a way that each hole will play like the real course. The goal is to force each golfer to establish a strategy for playing the entire course. For the pros, managing the course during a round of play is an important facet in obtaining the best possible score. I want to simulate that with the Box of Golf version of the course. To me, doing this with the use of the game's standard course symbols, obstacles, and hazards don't seem to allow this to go quite far enough. As a result, I am thinking of including the additional step of restricting the use of gems on various holes. The idea is as follows:

Restrict the use of the red gem (mulligans) on holes where the golfer may suffer from an extra bit of nervousness or on holes of the course where it is hard to simulate the true difficulty of the course using the standard symbols, obstacles, and hazards of Box of Golf.

Restrict the use of the blue gem (wind) on holes where the wind is actually a factor that impacts the scores the professional golfers get the real course.

Restrict the use of the yellow gem (backspin) on holes where the topology of the green or the condition of the green make it difficult to stick the approach shot.

Restrict the use of the green gem (gimmie) on holes with a tough putting green. This would be used on holes where it is more common to see two putts.

Not all holes will receive restrictions and each restriction will only be used several times throughout the course to better simulate the actual play of a given hole.

Poll
Course Design Feature
Is it a good idea to restrict the use of gems on a hole by hole basis to better simulate the play of a course?
  Your Answer   Vote Percent Vote Count
yes
50.0% 4
no
50.0% 4
Voters 8
This poll is now closed.   8 answers
Poll created by fdoug64
Closes: Sat Dec 20, 2008 6:00 am

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Terhune
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
This is a blatant example of frivolous geek gold spending.
badge
I spent 100 geek gold and all I got was this lousy overtext.
mbmbmbmbmb
Rather than restricting gem use, I think a better way to simulate course-specific play is with special spaces. See the rules for St. Andrews' ladder bunkers for a good example.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Saul-Sehy
United States
Texarkana
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We have played a ton of this game. First of all, it AIN'T a golf simulation. It's a game with a golf theme. Second, we love the number of gems you get because even though we thought it was unfair when we would start a game, over 18 holes we nearly ALWAYS come down to a close, close finish. You really want to pay attention to your ability to win a hole before getting rid of gems. One gem, even though the final score may be 21 gems to 20, could easily cost you the game.

I find that many reviews of this game, as many, are from people who have played the game a time or two and then try to "fix it." I would assert, after our many, many plays, that you play the full eighteen holes several times before creating a house set of rules that restricts gems.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.