Subject: help me find a good (non minis) fantasy/sci-fi game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ian Pittock
United Kingdom
Cambridge
flag msg tools
Hiya!

I’m looking for a good fantasy or sci-fi “war” game for my group of semi-hardcore gamers. It would be best if it were not a collectable game or an overly mini orientated game, while some of us are ex-warhammer players that kind of thing is not really everyone’s cup of tea. We already have nexus ops and I would quite like to find something of similar weight/length.

Ultimately we are looking for something which offers a good level of interactivity between players as we tend to play a lot of more passive games or co-op games. It would be nice to play something which is largely about overpowering your opponents through strategy. It can by all means have a non combat element to it (in fact such a thing may make the game more interesting) but its main focus should be combat.

Game length: no more than 2 hours on average.

Number of players: 3+

Thank you so much in advance for anyone who can help!!

- Kanachi

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Goran Topic
Japan
Kita-ku
Tokyo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Kanachi wrote:

I started to say "StarCraft: The Board Game is a no-brainer", then I hit this. With non-newbies, it usually plays in a bit more than about 30 mins per player. 2h is rather realistic with 2-3 players, but more players will definitely shoot past that. However, fits your other criteria more than anything else I could think of.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matteo Badinelli
Italy
Lonato
Brescia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The first that comes to mind is Quest for the Dragonlords, but be warned it's more a fantasy themed Risk than a wargame.
More wargame and sci-fi Warangel, it's light a quite fast also you can play multiplayer games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Walsh
United States
Columbia
Maryland
flag msg tools
I buy science fiction/fantasy book collections in MD/DC/VA. GeekMail me.
badge
I buy science fiction/fantasy book collections in MD/DC/VA. GeekMail me.
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say Borderlands (you can get and old copy, print your own, or wait for FFG reprint).

My second recommendation is completely different. Dungeon Twister w/ 3-4 player expansion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Great Barford, Bedford
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
This site needs a forum where we can put the faux offended so we can ignore them.
mbmbmbmbmb
Galactic Emperor Great TI3 light game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Cole
United States
Topeka
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nexus Ops Might be too light for what you want but its a fun sci fi themed "war" game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Great Barford, Bedford
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
This site needs a forum where we can put the faux offended so we can ignore them.
mbmbmbmbmb
Kanachi wrote:
We already have nexus ops and I would quite like to find something of similar weight/length.

- Kanachi

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bandettini
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
That one not so much
badge
Ohh that tickles
mbmbmb
How about Battlestar Galactica? As you can see from the number of session reports that people are doing, this game is a lot of fun. First couple of goes will be over your chosen time though, as you will be looking up rules a lot, but once you get it, two hours is probably about right.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bwian, just
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You've still left a pretty wide-open field . So, some wild guesses:
Cards:
Nuclear War (or Weapons of Mass Destruction): technically Cold War, but it has joke SF elements
Killer Bunnies and the Quest for the Magic Carrot: silly take-that card game, light but highly interactive
HeroCard Cyberspace (or some of the other Herocard stuff): combat for control of cyberspace

Cardboard:
Maelstrom: Tile-laying wargame, where you build the board as you go.
Babylon 5: A Call to Arms Starter Set (I've only played this with the "temporary" cardboard counters, but it is supposed to be a minis game): Babylon 5 space combat.

Square and counter:
RoboRally: On a small board, this is highly interactive. Can also be tuned for less interactivity, by using a larger/sparser board.
Wiz-War: Probably the fantasy game you're looking for. Unfortunately long out of print, with a reprint caught in limbo for years now. There's rumors it will come back soon, though.

Hex and counter:
BattleTech (I'm old-school, and played before minis were available. Many people use miniatures for the Mechs these days, though, and I don't know how easy it would be to avoid them if starting from scratch.)
Hard Vacuum: Space combat in a World War II gone weird.

Misc:
Micro Mutants: Evolution: Combat tiddley-winks. Much better than it sounds--yes, it is a bit silly, and a dexterity game, but it isn't simplistic.
Diceland: Deep White Sea (and later re-themes): Another dexterity game, this time with 8-sided cardboard dice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Goran Topic
Japan
Kita-ku
Tokyo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
shake

Guys, sorry to be mean, but is anyone[*] even reading the OP's question? Most of the suggestions are not combat-oriented, not strategy, or not even a game (yeah, I dislike Nuclear War that much).

For instance, I love Battlestar Galactica, but if I recommended it in this thread, I would for sure put in a disclaimer, since it only superficially resembles a wargame in but one aspect.

And, the man asks for something like Nexus Ops, and I find Micro Mutants among the suggestions?!? I mean, tiddlywinks? Really?!?

---
[*] For select values of "anyone"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Monroe
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tannhäuser?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henrik Lantz
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That was a hard one to answer. Galactic Emperor was made to fill that niche, but apart from that one I have a hard time coming up with an answer.

Quest for the DragonLords (Second Edition) is very Risk-like and can take quite some time to play, but is perhaps worth checking out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bandettini
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
That one not so much
badge
Ohh that tickles
mbmbmb
Goran

Ian did say his was looking for a 'war' game and not a wargame, and then explained what he meant. He gave Nexus Ops as an example of weight and length not type of game. I thought reading his comments that Battlestar Galactica would be a very good fit, except that it might be a bit longer. If you read his second paragraph it could almost be a description of Battlestar Galactica.
Regards
John
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bwian, just
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If someone asks a specific question, I'm happy to give a specific answer. For that matter, if they post further clarification later, I'm happy to narrow the search down a bit. But if they ask a fairly broad question, I'll post a fairly broad selection of games. My response was scattershot not because these are my favorite games (no, really: check my ratings), but because I figured a response would help narrow down the search.

(Edit: Spelling)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Rybak
United States
Denton
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would suggest Neuroshima Hex!. Can be played team or death-match with 4 players. Also good with 2 or 3 players. The new Z-Man print is done quite well.

T
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Cole
United States
Topeka
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tel999 wrote:
Kanachi wrote:
We already have nexus ops and I would quite like to find something of similar weight/length.

- Kanachi

Doh!!

That will teach me to read the entire post.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Pittock
United Kingdom
Cambridge
flag msg tools
Hiya again guys! Thanks so much for all your quick responses!

I'm very sorry if my specifications were not clear enough, I did want to leave a little bit of my post open to your own interpretation (though tiddlywinks is indeed a little to far fetched, even for me!) so I could get a broader-ish range of answers.

I think galactic emperor may well be a good one to go for, though allot of people seem to regard it as ultimately unsatisfying in some way… which worries me a bit.

Anyway, thanks once again for all your awesome help, keep ideas coming! Also is there anything you would like me to be more specific about in particular?

- Kanachi

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bwian, just
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kanachi wrote:
I'm very sorry if my specifications were not clear enough, I did want to leave a little bit of my post open to your own interpretation (though tiddlywinks is indeed a little to far fetched, even for me!) so I could get a broader-ish range of answers.

Hey, they're your questions: you can phrase them however you want. And scoff all you want about "combat tiddlywinks": it has combat, resource collection and an SF theme, which seemed like a good fit at the time. ninja

I guess I just saw a lot of room in your specifications (3+ player, 2- hours, SF or fantasy theme), and wasn't sure which direction you wanted to take it. Since it sounds like you're aiming more for a traditional boardgame to complement Nexus Ops, I'm not sure I've got great suggestions: most of my experience there is 2 player and/or >2 hours. HeroCard Cyberspace may be the best fit that I posted above, although it has a collectible card game vibe. (It isn't collectible, but like Blue Moon consists of fixed decks that can be recombined.) I've heard good things about Neuroshima Hex!, and Risk 2210 A.D. for that matter, but haven't tried them myself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Fightmaster
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Kanachi wrote:

Twilight Imperium 3rd Ed (possibly with the expansion) is definitely the game that you're looking for here. It even looks a tiny bit like Nexus Ops. The transition will be almost seamless.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Day
Wales
Llandrindod Wells
Powys
flag msg tools
mb
How about Duel of Ages

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/6050

still in stock in the UK - Maddison Games

Not played it but it looks to be the sort of thing you are after?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henrik Lantz
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Grift wrote:
Kanachi wrote:

Twilight Imperium 3rd Ed (possibly with the expansion) is definitely the game that you're looking for here. It even looks a tiny bit like Nexus Ops. The transition will be almost seamless.

This is a joke, right? Our sessions take anything from 8 to 12 hours! I really mean no disrespect to the poster here, but I couldn't really disagree more! Wonderful, wonderful game, but nothing like Nexus Ops or what the OP is asking for.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henrik Lantz
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pauld895 wrote:
How about Duel of Ages

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/6050

still in stock in the UK - Maddison Games

Not played it but it looks to be the sort of thing you are after?

Good idea! Since the OP mentions they play a lot of cooperative games, this could work perfectly. Love the game, but most of my friends are so competetive so they don't really like the idea of being in a team.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Pittock
United Kingdom
Cambridge
flag msg tools
hiya all!

thanks once agan for all your great ideas! I think Galactic Emperor and Duel of ages are both awesome ideas.

I also got told about a game called Omega Centauri which may also be a good one.

- kanachi

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.