1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Fess up...you've got two copies just in case! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, I want you folks out there that have two copies of the same game to confess. I'm sure there are few folks that are paranoid that they may lose their game in a fire or flood and they keep a game off site at a relatives house. I've actually thought about getting a second copy Mr. Jack, just in case it ever goes out of production.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Musselman
Canada
Burnaby
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Any thoughts of doing this as a geeklist?

We've got two copies of Caylus -- a standard one and a deluxe one (with the Mike Doyle artwork).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Huber

Westborough
Massachusetts
msg tools
mussels wrote:

Not surprisingly, it's been done - http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/780 and http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/4769 and at least one other time more recently.

In any event - I have extra copies of lots of games just in case - probably ~40, and it was higher until I decided that there were a bunch I really didn't need backups for. I have backups for 11 of the 16 games I rate a 10, and 20 of the 32 games I rate a 9.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Condit
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
huber wrote:
mussels wrote:

Not surprisingly, it's been done - http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/780 and http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/4769 and at least one other time more recently.

In any event - I have extra copies of lots of games just in case - probably ~40, and it was higher until I decided that there were a bunch I really didn't need backups for. I have backups for 11 of the 16 games I rate a 10, and 20 of the 32 games I rate a 9.

WOW and I thought I was bad for having an extra copy of my favorite game AoS.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
houjix wrote:
I have over 80 unopened "backup" copies of my favorite games that I keep in the closet. Some of them I've traded for, getting rid of games I don't like. Others I have because the game is out of print. Many are wargames, which tend to disappear and never come back. Most of them have significant use of cards, the one component in a game that will wear out.

The main reason I keep these is to prevent me from freaking out when people bring food or drinks around my games. I absolutely cannot stand it, and I think it's quite rude to do it. But on the other hand it's rude to disallow someone having a Coke or a glass of water. So this is how I solve the problem in my own non-confrontational way. It's also to satisfy my paranoia about losing bits, and it prevents me from counting my games every time I use them.

I know, I have problems.

It would also be interesting to compare childhoods of people that do this. There must be some sort of anal retentive habits that were formed earlier in life. I'd bet that many of the people that do this are clean freaks as well and do not like people touching their stuff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michelle
United States
Rush City
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
piks wrote:
houjix wrote:
I have over 80 unopened "backup" copies of my favorite games that I keep in the closet. Some of them I've traded for, getting rid of games I don't like. Others I have because the game is out of print. Many are wargames, which tend to disappear and never come back. Most of them have significant use of cards, the one component in a game that will wear out.

The main reason I keep these is to prevent me from freaking out when people bring food or drinks around my games. I absolutely cannot stand it, and I think it's quite rude to do it. But on the other hand it's rude to disallow someone having a Coke or a glass of water. So this is how I solve the problem in my own non-confrontational way. It's also to satisfy my paranoia about losing bits, and it prevents me from counting my games every time I use them.

I know, I have problems. :D

It would also be interesting to compare childhoods of people that do this. There must be some sort of anal retentive habits that were formed earlier in life. I'd bet that many of the people that do this are clean freaks as well and do not like people touching their stuff.

Stop talking about me!

So I have a few put away too AND I don't like people touching my stuff.
What is normal anyway? I bet they wouldn't be here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Mierz
United States
Middletown
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Heh, the only game I have two of is Saga; they were like $2 on Tanga, I figured I could give it as a gift at some point. Seven months later, I still have it...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dellarana wrote:
piks wrote:
houjix wrote:

I know, I have problems.

Stop talking about me!

So I have a few put away too AND I don't like people touching my stuff.
What is normal anyway? I bet they wouldn't be here.

I have a tough time with my kids and how they like to snack around some of my games. That's what got me thinking that for me to get over them snacking around the games I would just sacrifice one copy to greasy snacks while having a nice copy of a game in the closet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher KrackerJack
United States
Portsmouth
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
Back in the late 80's we used to play Axis & Allies a lot. I picked up a second copy for the sole purpose of having a second board to talk strategy in the other room while the game was going on. Also, since the pieces were a slightly different color (newer game with a different print run) we started using the infantry as special units (Marines, SS, etc) long before those units entered the official rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David G. Cox Esq.
Australia
Lighthouse Beach
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
Do what you can, with what you've got, where you are.
mbmbmbmbmb
houjix wrote:

I know, I have problems.

WRONG!

You don't have a problem - or if you do, then I share it with you.

I think your behaviour is completely rational. I have around 100 back-up games (mainly wargames) for exactly the same reasons. It is so much more relaxing playing a game when it doesn't really matter what terrible things other people may do to it.

Why not pay for another game if it is going to increase greatly the pleasure that you get from it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Saunders
United Kingdom
Blackpool
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would never buy two copies of the same game. I wouldn't squander the extra cash for a game to sit there for years seeing no play. I have enough standalone games which fill that niche just fine.

A sort of colleague of mine collects at least two copies of everything remotely linked to ASL. Kind of strange really.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Miller
United States
Roseville
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have two copies of Asteroid, an old GDW game. I got the second copy just so I could use both sets of maps for the normal game. One set of maps with all the hidden stuff on it, to be kept behind a gamemaster screen. The other set would only show what the heroes could see by direct line of sight.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Suzan
Netherlands
Enschede
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've got a pile of tichu-decks somewhere, but I'm pretty sure they are gonna be played at some time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Great Barford, Bedford
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
This site needs a forum where we can put the faux offended so we can ignore them.
mbmbmbmbmb
2 copies of Roads and Boats.

Just in case

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Apart from multiple chess sets and decks of cards, I don't tend to have more than one copy of a game. A partial exception is Twilight Struggle, since I bought a new edition after someone's drink spilled on the old one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerry Smit
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I managed to sell my Shrink-wrapped Azhanti High LIghtning last spring, after all I haven't played traveller in over a deckade.

But I still have THREE copies of both Star Cruiser and Imperium (1 each of the GDW/pre GDW versions) And I want a copy of the newer Imp 3rd Mill, warts and all. I'm truely not sure if I have more than one of Snapshot, Mayday, Asteroid or Dark Nebula. Maybe I should go look.

Hmm, and I also sold both versions of Supremacy last spring too.

Gerry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ridgway
United States
Fairfax Station
Virginia
flag msg tools
How much for the little game in the window?
badge
Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
mbmbmbmbmb
I've got two copies of Adel Verpflichtet. I'd estimate that the original version from college has been played over 1,000 times. At this point, there is so little ink left on many of the cards that they can only be read by hard-core players. Hence, a second copy was necessary to teach new players who would never be able to decipher the cards otherwise. However, when my college roommates and I get together, only the "professional" set will do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich
United States
West Lafayette
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I own 2 copies of the Hasbro version of RoboRally. I picked up the second dirt cheap, like $10. Got it mostly to have another set of cards as they get a lot of wear and tear. I would not have paid full price or a 2nd set.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Follow me for wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have backup copies so much as duplicates I got for good deals and am willing to trade (like Russian Front or California). Or games I like so much I own multiple copies for massive games of it (like PanzerBlitz and Stratego Legends).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Holzgrafe
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"the understandably frightening and chimeric semicolon" -- HiveGod
mbmbmbmbmb
We have two copies of Railways of the World because the opened one belongs to one of our kids. Eventually he'll move away. We wanted to be sure we would be able to keep a copy for ourselves!

We also have a second copy of War of the Ring (First Edition) in shrink-wrap. This one is because Helen had problems with the paints she used to paint the figurines, and she may want to try again some day.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Ferguson
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
houjix wrote:

I know, I have problems.

Wow..

If I had 80 duplicate games, i think my wife would throw me out of the house. Lol, unless of course I was Bill Gates or something.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ubergeek
United States
Washougal
Washington
flag msg tools
Be Happy in your Game!
badge
I spent 100 Geek Gold and all I got was this lousy overtext message!
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

Not to mention this list which I did years ago for my doubles of one sort or another. http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/2228

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Owen
United States
Norwich
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My duplicates fall into several categories:

!) Sometimes I also have a "travel" edition of a bigger game: Chess, Scrabble, Pente and Awful Green Things for example

2) Sometimes I kept an older version after I bought an upgraded edition: Diplomacy, War of 1812, Ancients, Acquire, Harpoon and Ace of Aces for example.

3) In some cases I have an actual duplicate of a game I really, really like but fear will not always be available (generally wargames): Bonaparte at Marengo, Napoleon, Up Front and Complete Brigadier.

4) In a few cases an additonal copy provides more playing options: Memoir'44, Ace of Aces or Lost Worlds.

Most of the time I think a single copy will be sufficient, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Christopher
United States
Salem
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
In the wonderful game, Bonaparte at Marengo, this is how to get nasty Frenchies out of a village.
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a spare copy of each of Bonaparte at Marengo and Napoleon's Triumph. It's tough, though, as I hate having shrinkwrapped copies of any games, especially those two. I keep teetering on giving them away to friends, but I'm not quite there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Strauss
Germany
Berlin
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I´m trying to get 300 years old, so now I´m a teenager
mbmbmbmbmb
I´ve got two copies of Ikusa, just in case.

And I´m now buying new versions of my old games wich are now relased in german, like:

Fury of Dracula (second edition) , Warrior Knights or new versions of old games that are now released as a new game like Blackbeard.

My next game should be the german version of Britannia.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.