Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sean Chick (Formerly Paul O'Sullivan)
United States
New Orleans
Louisiana
flag msg tools
designer
Fag an bealac! Riam nar druid ar sbarin lann! Cuimhnigidh ar Luimnech agus feall na Sassonach! Erin go Bragh! Remember Limerick! Remember Ireland and Fontenoy!
badge
Well, I'm afraid it'll have to wait. Whatever it was, I'm sure it was better than my plan to get out of this by pretending to be mad. I mean, who would have noticed another madman round here?
mbmbmbmbmb
I couldn't sleep last night so I went ahead did a solo session to try out some variant rules I've been considering:

1. Half (rounded down) of the Austrian, Russian, Spanish, and Prussian corps are chosen at random during the mobilization phase. The British roll a die: on a 1-2 the corps is chosen at random.

2. When the French draw reinforcing corps from other powers, the corps are chosen at random.

3. Whenever the Joseph card is played, the French Joseph piece is relocated to the capital of the target nation, or the piece is put into play in the capital. France can ignore mobilization and deployment limits for that turn.

4. Losses from Hero's death cannot be recovered through the veterans card.

Napoleon's Grand Armee sprung in Bavaria, destroying the Austrian invasion force with speed. Archduke Charles was overcome with caution and made no move on Napoleon, who forced Ferdinand's corps to submit at Vienna. The French entered the city in triumph. Now the Coalition moved with great speed and ordered a pincer movement on Vienna: Charles advanced from the South while Kutuzov's Russians came from the north. Napoleon used his interior position to great effect, crushing the Russians and defeating Charles. Austria must now submit to France, but the news from the high seas is not good: Nelson has destroyed the French navy and given Britain naval superiority.

In a shocking diplomatic breakthrough Talleyrand is able to align Prussia with French interests, although her commitment is understandably lackluster. In the meantime the Russians have assembled a horde under Tolly, while British regulars under Moore have joined the Swedish Army in order to open a northern front. The campaign starts with Moore seizing neutral Denmark while the Russians invade Prussia and toss aside the meager resistance offered by her field army. Lannes brings an army north to stop the attack there; the Russians enter Berlin but the Prussians do not surrender because Napoleon is coming...

The ensuing struggle is a French victory, won despite being outnumbered, and no small part from a brilliant battleplan and the use of a massed cavalry charge. There is some great personal cost however: Davout, Bonaparte's best general, has fallen. Also the attack forced Napoleon to move all forces out of Austria, ending the armed neutrality that he hoped to enforce. The Russians now retreat into the motherland while St. Cyr secures Naples for France. The winter is not harsh.

The British deploy more regulars to Sweden. Soult is out of favor with Bonaparte, and sent to raise reserves in France.
Napoleon is massing his army in Berlin for an invasion of Russia, knowing that a knock-out blow will secure ultimate victory. It will include many German formations. The massive size of this army convinces Pommernia to surrender before the French can visit destruction upon them.

Napoleon invades Russia, pressing through the Baltic lands. Tolly avoids a battle that he will certainly lose against such a grand horde. He leaves several Russian corps in a position to slow down Napoleon, in the hopes that winter will destroy this army. Bonaparte though sees through this strategy and he maneuvers passed these holding armies with half his army. He marches right into Moscow; the other half under Ney remains in Lithuanian. Tolly reacts by concentrating on Moscow, hoping to crush Napoleon before Ney can arrive. Tolly tries t envelope but the fight results in defeat from a counter charge by French horsemen. The Tsar, his armies scattered and out maneuvered, is still resistant to surrender. Ney then comes and wrecks further havoc upon the Russian army before it can even make a desperate counterattack. The battle is a victory, but not the sweeping kind Ney was looking for.

With Russia's defeat assured, the British/Swedish army plunges into Germany to confront Lannes. After a terrible slugging match the British are victorious, securing Hanover for Britain. Howver, the Swedish, no longer backed by Russian funds, pull out, weakening the British gains in Germany.

Tsar Alexander I finally concedes defeat, but French atrocities during the campaign have caused great bitterness and the Russian army will have no trouble recruiting more men if a struggle should resume.

The defeat of Austria, still scheming for a way to return to the struggle, is the best way Napoleon can establish himself as the uncontested master of Europe. Napoleon leaves Oudinot and his corps as guarantor of Russian subservience to France while Bonaparte plunges into Austria. Archduke Charles is given command for a fight that will decide the war. The odds are not good. The ensuing battle is not among Napoleon's finest hours, but it is a victory nonetheless. Now the only hope is that Wellington, now commanding the British army, can defeat Lannes and keep the hope of victory alive...

Wellington is all but crushed and the British army is swept aside at minimal loss to Lannes. The French have achieved an overwhelming victory!

Conclusion
I've used rules 2-4 before and they have worked, but I'm still experimenting with rule 1. So far it hasn't had a large impact, but this was a shockingly short session and the first one I've seen where the Coalition card draws were terrible, and thus made things very difficult. However I think rule 1 is still a little lacking. Maybe I should only let the Spanish, Austrians, Russians, and Prussians chose one corps (army commander) while the rest are randomly chosen. Any comments or ideas would be welcome.

As another note my pieces are now showing wear from how many times I've played this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.