Andrew Walters
United States
Hercules
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I've read the posts here and the blog entry at DOW, but my cards seem okay. Apparently the early cards were in two different sizes, thin, and felt greasy. Mine are thin, but don't feel greasy, and all appear to be the same size.

I think I bought my Switzerland pretty soon after its release.

How can I tell if I need the replacement cards?

Perhaps I should just order them, but I haven't registered TTR:E yet. I was waiting until I wanted to use the six months of online gaming, and I'm glad I'm not the only one to mention that reason, otherwise it would seem silly.

Andrew
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Kudzma
United States
Millsboro
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
People are...
badge
SPOCKED!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Sigh....there's no reason to replace them. All Switzerland cards are created equally IMHO.

They are all thinner than the regular editions of the game....it's just something we all have to suck up and get over.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobby Warren
United States
Glendale
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
La cheeserie!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd agree with Dave, except mine were near impossible to shuffle because the sizes were so different. If your's are the same size, then I would say there is no need to replaqce them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♪ Isaäc Bickërstaff ♫
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Entropy Seminar:
badge
The results of a five yeer studee ntu the sekund lw uf thurmodynamiks aand itz inevibl fxt hon shewb rt nslpn raq liot.
mb
locusshifter wrote:
Sigh....there's no reason to replace them. All Switzerland cards are created equally IMHO.

They are all thinner than the regular editions of the game....it's just something we all have to suck up and get over.

The packet of cards sent out to replace the original printing were MUCH better than the ones that originally came with the game. The original cards were packed in 4 slim, individually wrapped packets, and it turned out that the cards were not all the same size. The replacement cards were packed together, and were all uniformly sized. Also, the cards had a better texture and heft, making them much easier to shuffle.

Andrew, the easiest way to tell if you have the original or reprint is to see if you also have a scoring card. If you don't, you have the original cards; if you do, then you have the replacements.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Anderson
United States
Moorhead
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I also found the replacements to be of much better quality than the originals. I don't notice a difference between the replacement Switzerland cards and any other TTR cards. Another way to check is if your tickets have misspellings or not. I think the original tickets had "Geneva" while the replacements have Geneve (to match the board). There were a couple other misspellings too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Verkisto wrote:
locusshifter wrote:

The packet of cards sent out to replace the original printing were MUCH better than the ones that originally came with the game. The original cards were packed in 4 slim, individually wrapped packets, and it turned out that the cards were not all the same size. The replacement cards were packed together, and were all uniformly sized. Also, the cards had a better texture and heft, making them much easier to shuffle.

Andrew, the easiest way to tell if you have the original or reprint is to see if you also have a scoring card. If you don't, you have the original cards; if you do, then you have the replacements.
Great, I got me a copy with inferior cards. I'll have to see if this is a big of an issue as some are saying. I don't shuffle the cards like a normal person does anyways.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Walters
United States
Hercules
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

How do you shuffle?

I usually do what I believe is called a "perfect shuffle" which looks like an upside down riffle shuffle, where the cards are pushed against each other and each one releases the next one so you get perfect alternation. But this only works with high quality cards.

If you've got a good shuffling technique for wimpy cards, I'm all ears...

Andrew

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Walters
United States
Hercules
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

My cards say "Geneva" and "Lucano" instead of Gevéve and "Locarno," but I do have scoring card. Go figure.

I've been meaning to get online with DOW, I guess the time has come.

Thanks, everyone.

Andrew

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
skrebs
United States
Davis
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
andreww wrote:
Mine are thin, but don't feel greasy, and all appear to be the same size... How can I tell if I need the replacement cards?

I guess I don't understand your question. If your cards are thin but fine, how could they be the "yucky" ones? Why would you need to replace them?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Walters
United States
Hercules
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I understand there were substandard cards and replacement cards. I couldn't quite tell which I had. As several people, including DOW, have said, they're okay, but not quite the usual DOW standard. Mine aren't greasy or mis-sized, but they are thin and contain misspellings. So I might as well get them replaced at some point.

Andrew

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasta Batman
United States
Tustin
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
The orginal tickets have a non-shiny matte finish (mine aren't 'greasy' at all, not sure what that's about). They bend easily, and tend to stay bent. They are ever so slightly uneven in size, just enough to cause issue with riffle shuffle.

The replacement tickets have the standard shiny quality finish you'll find on all of your other TTR cards. They also include reference scoring cards, to make up for the scoring per route length being left off of the map.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Branko K.
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Isn't the DoW free replacement offer still up? Check it out here. They really ship for free all around the world.

However if your cards are all same-sized and do not damage easily (I succesfully ruined the sides of few cards just opening that plastic package) I guess you can keep those six months for now...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S. P. Harris
United States
flag msg tools
Thanks for the link...I just ordered the replacement set. I ordered my TTR Switzerland only two months ago & I have the "bad" cards. I thought they were fine but on our fourth play last night, one of the cards started delaminating in the middle from the inside out. Thanks, DOW, for sending the replacement set!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Miller
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
Wow you hovered. I'm honored.
badge
My Dog Has Fleas
mbmbmbmbmb
And another thanks for the link - just unwrapped my T2R Switzerland cards and immediately noticed one set was much smaller. Thought I would have to return it but then realized I should check the forum here. Glad I did and hopefully the replacements wont take tooooo long to get here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Hammatt
United Kingdom
Camberley
Surrey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the link from me too. Just stumbled across this and I have the early cards too, so just ordered a replacement set.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Hammatt
United Kingdom
Camberley
Surrey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kudos to Days of Wonder, my free replacement card set arrived today in the post. Great service, I wasn't expecting them so quickly !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.