If Actions Speak Louder Than Words, Then Actions x2 Speak Louder Than Actions
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
One of the Original Twelve
mbmbmbmbmb
The box says two. The rules and board say three. Which is it? And where is it thusly canonized?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King of All Simians — Not a Mere Diplomat
United States
Wilmington
Select State
flag msg tools
designer
I love you.
badge
I love you.
mb
The board is marked with starting positions for 3-5p, 6p, 7p. So, I'm going with 3.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Flaherty
United States
Loves Park
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It is playable with 2 where each player controls 2 gnomes, keeping items separate for each.

My wife and I have played this way without issues.

Bob
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Taylor
United States
Lake Forest
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We've played two-player with one gnome each when starting out and it worked out just fine. Won some, lost some. The chaos of more gnomes is more appealing to us now, however.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel (working on TENNISmind...)
France
Caen
(from Valencia, Spain)
flag msg tools
designer
My latest game: Big*Bang, a simple abstract about the first minutes of the Universe
badge
My best-rated game: TETRARCHIA, about the tetrarchy that saved Rome
mbmbmbmbmb
Minimum is 1 player, though I would say at least 4 gnomes!

I have played several solo games with 4 gnomes (I want to be sure I have no rule issues before Xmas games with the family) and I have enjoyed them a lot. If one day I win it will be even better...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're playing 2 gnomes each, I recommend ignoring the rule where a gnome can 'escape' the sub.

However, I also recommend ignoring that rule with any number of players or gnomes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave J McWeasely
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
I find the game drab with only 2 humans. I'd rather play Pandemic with that number. But with 4+, whoa, Gnovember is a blast.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Ditchburn
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been playing it 1 player with both 3 and 4 gnomes and it seems to go fairly well. I still have yet to win but I've been down to the last couple of minutes.

I (like someone who posted above) also plan on playing this with friends and family over the holidays and wanted to make sure I understood the rules really well before attempting to teach others after reading on here that the rules are less than perfectly clear sometimes. I would recommend 2 gnomes each for 2 player.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Count
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
From Bruno's Website FAQ (http://www.faidutti.com/index.php?Module=mesjeux&id=566&fich...):

Quote:
Q : Can Red November be played with two players?
A : Not with the rules as written. The game works very well with two players, however, if each player controls two gnomes and the "abandon comrades" rule is ignored.

He also mentions it in another thread: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/2989631#2989631

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Fox
United States
Yukon
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
anarchy wrote:
We've played two-player with one gnome each when starting out and it worked out just fine. Won some, lost some. The chaos of more gnomes is more appealing to us now, however.

Agree
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.