Subject: First Impressions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew C.
Australia
Sydney
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I got this from one of those deal-a-day websites, paying only AU$30 for it (RRP was over AU$90).

The board and components seem fairly good quality. The board is little too bright and technicolor for my liking, but otherwise fine. One minor gripe about little plastic wheels and wedges - light pink and slightly darker pink (or purple) are used as distinct colours for different players or question categories, and could lead to confusion.

Now on to the digital component. The gizmo is rather solid and well made, and it's LCD display is rather impressive. It certainly has enough resolution to display the questions clearly, and can even manage a "greyed out" effect to represent menu options that are temporarily disabled. Its user interface is fairly well designed for usability. The buttons are solid, but the two silver shoulder buttons seem hidden and could be missed if you didn't read about them in the manual.

When it's time to start a new game, the default option is to have the unit automatically choose six categories of questions. Unless, you have gone online and downloaded some extra questions. Now here's the biggest problem I can see with the function of the gizmo: Each default category (Eg, History, Science, Sport & Leisure, Entertainment) is split into two parts. The gizmo will randomly choose six of these 12 categories. So you could end up with History 1, History 2, Science 1, Science 2, and thus have a game that misses out on the Entertainment category altogether, for example. Alternatively, once you have downloaded extra categories from the internet, you can choose the exact categories to use.

Using the PC to manage the questions on the device is easy and the software works great. The device connects easily via an included USB cable. I like the fact that the unit automatically keeps track of what questions you have used, so they don't come up again in the future game.

Now, the downloadable content itself. Except for the general categories that come with the game, all the downloadable content is split into microcategories - and they are really, really narrow in scope. For example, "Fashion of the 70s". This might lead to games in which half the players never ever get the right answer for a particular category because it lies in a niche knowledge area that they haven't had any exposure to - these microcategories are often limited to a narrow genre or era, or to a single topic such as Australian Cricket. I'd recommend playing with teams of 2-3 players to alleviate this issue.

You can download up to 2400 more questions, but after that I'm not sure if you have to pay or something. There's a "checkout" icon in the software, but I haven't read anything about any additional fees. Also, there's an option to write your own questions too. It would be fantastic if there was some official way of sharing user-created question packs, but there doesn't seem to be any such thing.

All up, I'm happy to have gotten this for a low price, and I should enjoy playing it on occasion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.