Mont-Saint-Hilaire
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
And D-Day Dice, too!
badge
I'm an "A"vatar.
mbmbmbmbmb
5 dice + 3 tokens = a maximum of 8, if I'm not mistaken.

So, how about that 9 route in Nordic Countries? Do you play it as if it was an 8?

The rulebook seems to imply that this expansion is compatible with Nordic Countries... a typo?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Anderson
United States
Moorhead
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: So how to you combine dice with Nordic Countries?
The official answer is you play without that route if you play Nordic with dice expansion.

(from the other thread here mentioning Nordic: http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/340776)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emmanuel Aquin
Canada
Mont-Saint-Hilaire
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
And D-Day Dice, too!
badge
I'm an "A"vatar.
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you very much for the quick answer.

But I'm not excited with DOW's solution to that problem... I guess I'll count it as an 8.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lauge Rosendahl
Denmark
HĂžjbjerg
flag msg tools
designer
badge
~ Silence is sexy ~
mbmbmbmbmb
Or perhaps split it into a 7 and a 2, it worked well for us (I agree that not using that line, is not a solution).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emmanuel Aquin
Canada
Mont-Saint-Hilaire
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
And D-Day Dice, too!
badge
I'm an "A"vatar.
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Or perhaps split it into a 7 and a 2, it worked well for us (I agree that not using that line, is not a solution).

Thanks for the tip, luchau! It seems to be a very good compromise!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sheldon Smith
United States
Winston Salem
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played my first TtR dice expansion game last night using the Nordic Countries game. We played with the 9 space route as being closed. To include that route for our next game, however, we decided to include an exception that matches the exception for that route in the regular rules: For that route only, you may trade in 2 double route tokens for one single route token. Thus, you will need to have 3 single route tokens, at least 2 double route tokens AND a roll of 5 single route dice (since locomotives can only be used to claim ferry and tunnel routes.) It takes a good deal of planning and luck but it can be done for the big score. Any comments?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Krigbaum
United States
JBER
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sheldon Smith wrote:
I played my first TtR dice expansion game last night using the Nordic Countries game. We played with the 9 space route as being closed. To include that route for our next game, however, we decided to include an exception that matches the exception for that route in the regular rules: For that route only, you may trade in 2 double route tokens for one single route token. Thus, you will need to have 3 single route tokens, at least 2 double route tokens AND a roll of 5 single route dice (since locomotives can only be used to claim ferry and tunnel routes.) It takes a good deal of planning and luck but it can be done for the big score. Any comments?

But aren't you only allowed a total of three tokens of both types at any given time?

After reading your reply again I think you are confused or mistaken. You must roll at least one locomotive to claim a ferry route. Locomotives always count as wild. Playing Europe or Nordic does not negate the wild aspect, only adds on to it.

The rules make no mention of locomotives and tunnels.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sheldon Smith
United States
Winston Salem
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmm, I quickly read the rules for our first game. I went back to re-read them and I think I may have misinterpreted. The rules state: "a player can never hold more than 3 tokens of any type." I read that to mean he may have 3 of one type and 3 of the other type. Otherwise, why don't they just say a player can never hold more than 3 tokens total? I think it is a bit ambiguous. Does anyone know for sure?

As for the use of the locomotive roll with the Nordic Countries (as well as the Swiss Map,) I had read on another thread that DoW had the following FAQ which I copied and pasted here:

Q: In the Swiss and Nordic Countries maps, Locomotives can only be used when claiming a tunnel (and Ferries in Nordic). In the Dice Expansion does that rule still apply?
A: Yes, Locomotive dice can only be used where allowed by the Nordic Countries and Swiss map rules - when claiming a tunnel or Ferry.

I think I'll post a question with them regarding the 3 of any type max on tokens.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Krigbaum
United States
JBER
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sheldon Smith wrote:
Hmmm, I quickly read the rules for our first game. I went back to re-read them and I think I may have misinterpreted. The rules state: "a player can never hold more than 3 tokens of any type." I read that to mean he may have 3 of one type and 3 of the other type. Otherwise, why don't they just say a player can never hold more than 3 tokens total? I think it is a bit ambiguous. Does anyone know for sure?

As for the use of the locomotive roll with the Nordic Countries (as well as the Swiss Map,) I had read on another thread that DoW had the following FAQ which I copied and pasted here:

Q: In the Swiss and Nordic Countries maps, Locomotives can only be used when claiming a tunnel (and Ferries in Nordic). In the Dice Expansion does that rule still apply?
A: Yes, Locomotive dice can only be used where allowed by the Nordic Countries and Swiss map rules - when claiming a tunnel or Ferry.

I think I'll post a question with them regarding the 3 of any type max on tokens.

OK, I see. We had read the dice rules as replacing the normal rules. Totally didn't pick up that locomotives still had to be used on tunnels only. I missed the very first line "All normal board game rules apply..."blush

The rules are a bit ambiguous as to tokens. The way we came up with the total of three regardless of type was the discard rule. If I had three of each, why would I want to discard them? We decided it was so if you had too many of one type and needed the other you could discard to get the type you need later.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sheldon Smith
United States
Winston Salem
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm with you. We played without the locomotive rules for tunnels and ferries. I only found that FAQ the next day. As for as the tokens, your reasoning is quite sound. I did not consider the discard rule. I now think the 3 TOTAL limit is correct (which busts my solution for the 9 train route.) I just wish they would apply the KISS principle when writing rules. Keep It Simple, Stupid! Just say "a player can never hold more than 3 total tokens." Ahhh well, I'll play correctly for my next game.
Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jashobeam Tachmonite
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The way we do it is that the player must have 5 single-track dice, plus 3 single-track tokens, then must roll the 3 tunnel dice and have 2 tunnels show up (to replace the option of any 4 cards equals 1 space in the base game).

Edited to change 3 tunnel dice to 2 because I forgot that we decided 3 made it impossible to attain

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.