Popular Tags: DIY [+] projects [+] [View All]
Kevin Wood
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Update: Vanderdecken has finished these paste ups. Thanks so much!

More info below at:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/3181895#3181895

I'm sure he'd appreciate tips, thumbs and/or comments!

------------------------------------

FFG has made some minor changes and corrections to the board contained in their revised 4th Edition. All of the changes, along with nice hi-res images, are outlined here:

http://new.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=267

Unfortunately, those images are not in the same scale as the board and they'll need to be resized (and cropped) before they can be used as paste ups.

I've worked with these for a while and got some OK results, but I'm not too happy with the end result (scale still a bit off, colors not matching).

Is there anyone out there willing to tackle this project? Even better, Fantasy Flight, if you're listening, we'd LOVE to have a doc with the corrections in the proper scale.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Van Overbay
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Looking for paste ups to correct board to match FFG edition

Hi Kevin,
I'll be fixing up those images for my board in the next few days so I'll be happy to pass them along as a PDF to print on label stock. I don't know if you're familiar with my graphic work, but they will be spot on.

-Van

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Wood
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent. I figured anything I did would be inferior to that done by someone who knows what they're doing!

Will you just be working on the text portion of the image, or the entire thing?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Van Overbay
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was looking at making just the text portion be an exact fit and color adjusted properly, but I figured some folks would want to place a label that fit the entire space so I may do it both ways. I'm pretty sure for my personal board I'll just paste in the text area. I believe that would look the best and also eliminate wear to the paste in if it was the whole space.

I'll be printing mine on a color laser printer and then take a light tan marker and go around the edges of the trimmed sticker so no white edges show. I'm a perfectionist and extremely OCD so I'll be going for a fix that is as invisible as possible. It would be interesting though to hear which people would prefer.

-Van
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Everts
United States
Foothill Ranch
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
"Nobody gets me. I'm the wind, baby!" - Tom Servo
badge
"Push the button, Frank!"
mbmbmbmbmb
I learned an interesting trick to protect labels.

Print out your labels on standard full page label paper. Then run the label through a plastic laminator using 3 mil plastic. I did it for my Agricola stickers I made. Gives it a shiny texture and actually makes the art look alittle more contrasty.

Don't use 5 mil plastic, its too thick. And put a sheet of paper behind the label paper so the back of the plastic can be removed. That way you're not cutting through so much. I needed to do that when I was using a circle punch since it was too thick otherwise.

This picture shows off how they look-
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Pranger
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Vanderdecken wrote:
It would be interesting though to hear which people would prefer.

I'll put in a vote in for just the text portions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Tubb
United States
Fuquay Varina
NC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Vanderdecken wrote:

Hi Kevin,
I'll be fixing up those images for my board in the next few days so I'll be happy to pass them along as a PDF to print on label stock. I don't know if you're familiar with my graphic work, but they will be spot on.

-Van
Awesome! I'm sure others would appreciate it if you uploaded the pdf as a file on BGG. Also, since the board art is the same, I think including the entire space would be unnecessary.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Van Overbay
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry for delay, I'm trying to get the paste-ups finished up this weekend. I know it's been quite a while but I'll also upload them to the files section.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Wood
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Vanderdecken wrote:
Sorry for delay, I'm trying to get the paste-ups finished up this weekend. I know it's been quite a while but I'll also upload them to the files section.

Dude, no need to apologize! I'm just grateful you're doing them!

Kevin
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Van Overbay
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OK folks, it took quite awhile but I have the label art completed and set up as a PDF file to print on label stock. They turned out great! Here's an example:

The Chapel text in this image has been replaced with two labels. I even added a linen texture to the artwork so it would match the finish of the board.

The PDF file is two pages. Page 1 has the individual labels on it. I printed mine with a color laser printer on a full sheet of 8" x 11" permanent label stock. I then gave it a light spray with Krylon Acrylic Crystal Clear Gloss (this will help the durability and make them match the finish of the board even better). Then, trim each label out with an X-acto blade and metal ruler right against the edge of the printed color. After I cut out each one, I barely nipped of the corners of each label with my X-acto knife (very slightly, like less than 1/64 of an inch, so there wouldn't be a sharp corner). Be sure to watch out on some because there is type that is printed almost in the corner and you don't want to cut any of it off. This should help prevent any dog-earring in the future.

Be sure that when you start placing the labels for the corner spaces that require two labels, you stick down the label for the short side first, then the label for the long side. It's always a good idea to lay them in position and test fit each one before removing the backing and sticking them in their final placement. Then peel and stick in place. I burnished mine after placement with an acrylic graphics roller. If done properly, they should be an exact fit and you can hardly notice the alteration! Plus be careful, one label goes across two separate panels of the board (panels that have a complete cut between them). Cut it carefully between the panels after placement and then burnish it with your fingers against the separate edges of the board. A couple go across folds but they are no problem if you burnish them well. You can also burnish your labels by placing a thin sheet of paper over them and using your fingers.

Page 2 of the PDF shows the entire spaces that changed between the different editions. There are 6 spaces that have new text (this includes both Desert spaces). This page of the PDF is simply for reference and does not need to be printed.

These paste-ups contain the exact text from the FFG edition. Thus constituting a complete conversion when used with the upgrade pack and printing a copy of the new rule book.

I'll probably upload them to the files section soon, until then, I like to go by the old adage, "Ask and you will receive." Just send me a GeekMail with your e-mail address and I'll happily send anyone the PDF file that wants it (and I promise your e-mail will not be used or distributed for any other purpose). Oh, and I would appreciate it if you add a post and give this thread a thumbs-up in return. Please keep it hot so as to spread the word and enjoyment. Cheers!

Sincerely,
Van Overbay

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Wood
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They look awesome! Thanks for the hard work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Van Overbay
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kvn299 wrote:
They look awesome! Thanks for the hard work.

Thanks Kevin! Let me know how they turn out.
-Van

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Van Overbay
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
To complete the upgrade of my Black Industries Talisman 4th edition (after purchasing the Talisman Upgrade Pack of course), I downloaded the revised 4th edition rule book PDF from FFG:

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/ffg_content/Talisman/Talis...

Then I printed the PDF pages front to back (at 90% of the original size) on a color laser printer and 3-hole punched the pages. I then bound the pages in clear 3-tab binder. I printed the PDF file at 90% so none of the text would be covered by the binder's 3/4" edge.

-Van

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon New
United Kingdom
Taunton
Somerset
flag msg tools
designer
Text coming soon... probably...
badge
Get tipsy and fight a farmer with Strength 3
mbmbmbmbmb
Just to mention that the rules are also available at the Geek.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/37014

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Johnson
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just wanted to say Thanks to Van for doing this. They look GREAT!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Henson
United States
Asheville
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mb
These are excellent! Thanks again for doing these.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gavin Westermeyer
South Africa
Durban
Kwazulu-Natal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thank you Van for all your hard work in making the paste-ups and posting them to me.
I, personally only used the text stickers as I found them to give perfect results.

Brilliant!

Gavin
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel
United States
Santee
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is great.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Dunkley
United Kingdom
Chorley
Lancashire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Vanderdecken wrote:

Hi Kevin,

-Van

A big thumbsup from me, nice work.
I can't wait to sort my older board out.
Thank you so much for e-mailing the pdf file to me,
The paste-ups look great!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Régis Locas
Canada
flag msg tools
Thanks a lot to Vanderdecken for his awesome work, I'm going to use it to upgrade my Talisman game (along with the upgrade pack I just ordered)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
robin goblin
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
Ok, perhaps I'm dim, but the link only goes to the description of the paste ups, not the file for them. Has that been uploaded to BGG yet as I don't see it in the Talisman page....

I.e. Help, I can't find the paste up file!

Ah, think I've figured it out: not uploaded, but shared via email.... pmail sent!

cheers,
Robin
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Van Overbay
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the kind messages and e-mails folks. I appreciate it. My wife and I are recovering from some extreme health issues (http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/357496) and it's nice to have the interaction while recovering. So far these seem to be working well for everyone without further adjustement.

I'm putting together another small upgrade that I will post soon. It doesn't require paste-ups but is a normal card-sized player aid (2.5" x 3.5") that can be printed, sleeved, and placed next to the gameboard for reference. Cheers!

-Van

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierre Philippe Goyer
Canada
Verdun Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Looking for a Publisher for a Grand Strategic all fronts WW2 card game
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Van for the PDF files.
They work fine.

Keep the good work...

Owll
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Wood
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I finally got around to updating my board. These are better than I'd hoped for. Thanks so much for all the work you put into these.

I wish you and your wife all the best!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon New
United Kingdom
Taunton
Somerset
flag msg tools
designer
Text coming soon... probably...
badge
Get tipsy and fight a farmer with Strength 3
mbmbmbmbmb
Goodness me! I just realised that I didn't upload the file you sent me Van! 1000 apologies and I will get to it this week. I'm interested in this other aid you have planned too.

..and likewise, best wishes to you both.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.