Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: multi-man_publishing [+] [View All]
Jakob Schneider
Germany
Brühl
NRW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For the SCS I'd suggest Afrika II, it's a magnificent effort.
It gives you the whole western desert campaign in a very interesting and callenging way.
For the OCS, I don't really know about Burma, as it is one of the most challenging games in terms of supply the series has to offer.
And supply is the most important part of the series. Tunisia might be a better choice, as Burma forces you to do some very unusual things, due to the unique situation and terrain.
About the tactical combat series: The ''problem'' is the playingtime.
I'd say 6 hours + for the shorter scenarios. The only game being shorter (Semper Fi!) is sadly out of print.
Besides that I really like ''Screaming eagles in holland'' (But that one really is a monster!).

Hope that helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Lundin
Sweden
Lund
-
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, try Tunisia in the OCS series first. Or you can wait for Baltic Gap - that's the next OCS game in the pipeline. It looks really promising and from what I gather, it has several introductory and smaller scenarios.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Semeniuk
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb

As a starting point for TCS, I think that "Bloody Ridge" is your best bet. Its only one map and has a short playing time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jakob Schneider
Germany
Brühl
NRW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The size of Bloody Ridge is good, but yet again: It's PTO (like Burma).
I think it's not very representative of the series as a whole.
(No tanks, few chances for opp-fire, VERY harsh terrain, and the unusual IJA). As a starting point for a series, I'd rather suggest something from the ETO.

Jakob

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Hunter
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
Stop the admins removing history from the Wargaming forum.
mbmbmbmbmb
OCS - Definitely Tunisia if possible. My second pick I guess would be burma. Burma is actually great because the small scenarios are so good, but it doesn't play like the others in the series. It seems radically different from Tunisia.

SCS - Afrika 2nd ed would be my choise as well.

TCS - I agree semper fi is a nice intro.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Whit Richardson
United States
South Portland
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm also excited to get into SCS and TCS. I recently received my copies of Afrika, Leros and Talavera from the MMP Black Friday sale...

Now I have to find a FtF opponent in my area of Maine...hmmm...that's always the hard part. soblue

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Lawson
United States
Rutland
Vermont
flag msg tools
Boston Redsox
badge
New England Patriots!
mbmbmbmbmb
I just got a copy of Afrika II about a month ago and want to say ditto!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Graham
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In terms of what's in print, I would choose the following:

OCS: Burma. It's an unusual situation but you get a good grasp of the central point of the series: supply.
SCS: Afrika (second edition) or Yom Kippur are both excellent games, very fluid and good uses of the system.
TCS: Bloody Ridge. Being in the Pacific doesn't make it that different. The key to the system is infantry and the command system, which this has. Both of the other games are odd situations or have odd units compared to what might be seen as a typical World War Two situation.

If you're considering any game in any of the series:

OCS: Korea: The Forgotten War is currently my pick for the best of the series. It offers offensive opportunities for both players, moves quickly, forces decisions about supplies, and generally exemplifies the heart of the system.

SCS: I'd still go with the choices from above. I haven't been disappointed in any of the games, so it's hard to go wrong. I haven't played Rock of the Marne yet so I can't judge it. But the World War One games have been fine so far.

TCS: Leros has a lot going for it; the entire battlefield is present, both sides have good units, it's an interesting situation. The drawback is that there's an obvious way to break the game as the Germans. Of the rest, I have a distinct fondness for Bloody 110. It looks as if the Germans have an overwhelming advantage but their task is much harder than it seems. As others have said, Semper Fi! has a lot to recommend it as an intro game with small maps and scenarios that allow a novice to try a manageable introduction to the system. And GD '40 offers some tense situations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.