United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."
mbmbmbmbmb

Here is an idea for a new multiplayer political game:

Starfleet Federation Council

Players would represent powerful members of the Federation Council as they attempt to gain support from the various groups of the Star Trek community... Humans, Klingons, Romulans, etc.

The map would portray the Star Trek universe and players would use cards to place influence markers on various star systems as they established a political power base in that region. Players would struggle for domination in a method similar to other political games. The winner gets elected to the office of Grand Poobah or whatever...

This would be a low complexity game for 3 to 6 players.

This idea was inspired when I read a thread created by new BGG user Miriam Burton...

Miriam Burton
United States
Mechanicsville
VA
flag msg tools
mb

...who was looking for a light, fun, multiplayer political game for her daughter to play with friends.

Comments? Suggestions?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy Richards
Scotland
Allanton
Duns
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This sounds a bit like Galactic Destiny

Though that is set in a generic-ish universe of course.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Belli
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
This would allow Fantasy Flight to whap their Twilight Imperium theme on it...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Belli
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
This sounds a bit like Galactic Destiny

I visited the Galactic Destiny page here on BGG... looks interesting!

Galactic Destiny has some military elements while this concept would be a purely political game... think Making of the President: 2260

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Jome
United States
Franklin
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
We all like to poke fun at Monopoly because it is frequently rethemed with some other random thing - your home town, that hip television show, the popular sporting team.

But you know, there's no reason to think you couldn't take any number of other games and do something very similar with them.

Take Diplomacy for example. Diplomacy has only Fleets and Armies - those could be perhaps Ships and Stations in a Star Trek version. You could replace the map of Europe with a star map, deploy initial pieces onto the map and you've got a very solid game.

I suppose Diplomacy gets a bad rap around here for being a bit vicious. Maybe for a new user looking to play a relaxing game with novices, they aren't interested in this kind of inevitable backstabbing situation. But the idea is sound - Diplomacy is very much a political animal. So, if you can give me the definition of "political game", we can probably find something better suited by tweaking some existing game...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
The concept is good, although you may have to go generic assuming licensing Star Trek will be somewhat more expensive than building space-meeples.

Also (to rip a page straight from Republic of Rome) consider external threats that the players together have to respond to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Belli
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
...consider external threats that the players together have to respond to.

thumbsup

How about this event card:

Gigantic planet killing machine enters Quadrant 7.

The Federation Council players must pass an emergency defense spending package of 700 billion or one solar system will be destroyed.

However, if any player holds the "Captain Kirk" command card that player may roll two dice. On a roll of 12 Kirk destroys the planet killer. The player using the "Captain Kirk" card immediately gains 6 influence points.

By the way, any game with a generic theme would not (in my opinion) sell enough copies to justify publishing.

Just my geekgold geekgold

Thanks for the comments!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Pavitt
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Concept reminds me of Struggle For The Throne: Star Trek III
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Belli
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Concept reminds me of Struggle For The Throne

Another interesting game!

The description mentions "battle" as one of the elements of Struggle for the Throne but the marketplace seems to be swamped with sci-fi diplomacy/battle games... and I wanted to appeal to the non-wargame crowd. I firmly believe that a purely political game -- similar to Making of the President: 1960 but with multiple players -- is a title that has a place in the hobby.

If a science fiction theme is unacceptable perhaps a fantasy theme might work just as well. Take the same MotP:1960 idea of powerful political leaders attempting to secure high office with influence points, event cards, etc. and transfer it to a Tolkien or Narnia setting.

Thanks for the comment!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Lawson
United States
Rutland
Vermont
flag msg tools
Boston Redsox
badge
New England Patriots!
mbmbmbmbmb
pete belli wrote:
Quote:
...consider external threats that the players together have to respond to.

thumbsup

How about this event card:

Gigantic planet killing machine enters Quadrant 7.

The Federation Council players must pass an emergency defense spending package of 700 billion or one solar system will be destroyed.

However, if any player holds the "Captain Kirk" command card that player may roll two dice. On a roll of 12 Kirk destroys the planet killer. The player using the "Captain Kirk" card immediately gains 6 influence points.

By the way, any game with a generic theme would not (in my opinion) sell enough copies to justify publishing.

Just my geekgold geekgold

Thanks for the comments!

I believe it was Commodore Decker in a stolen shuttle craft that destroyed the planet killer. Star Trek trivia 101 .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Debije
Netherlands
Eindhoven
The Netherlands
flag msg tools
I think if you eliminate any military possibility, you take away much of any 'teeth' of the game. How will you threaten people? With a big stack of purple influence cubes?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting idea, and much more interesting to me with a Star Trek theme than otherwise.

There are many ways of using political power which are not military, and it could be interesting to explore them in this futuristic setting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy Richards
Scotland
Allanton
Duns
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Outreach: The Conquest of the Galaxy, 3000AD, an old SPI game, was a typical wargame of its time in many ways. However, the cardboard chits belonging to players were explicitly described as representing diplomatic efforts, trade, education as well as military (they weren't differentiated at all as far as I recall). My point is that just calling them something different doesn't make any material difference, they also have to act differently for the switch to be worth bothering with. So my question would be, how would the rules/features of a political 'combat' game be different to one which was nominally about the military?

Ed
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Belli
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

Thanks to everyone for the comments!

Quote:
...how would the rules/features of a political 'combat' game be different to one which was nominally about the military?

Great question.

We will have to assume that the Federation is a representative democracy in which each planet or star system sends X number of delegates to the Starfleet Federation Council.

The game would flow like other political games...

Council votes would be bought or bargained for just like they are here in the good old U.S. of A. with each player making public promises and sleazy backroom deals. A limited number of influence markers could be awarded for charisma, campaign contributions, taxpayer-funded projects back on the home planet, leadership, and a good sense of timing during a Federation crisis.

Player are forced to allocate these scarce influence markers in the most effective manner to get a majority of delegates and be named Grand Poobah or whatever.

We're not trying to reinvent the wheel here... just create a fast, fun, multiplayer political game with broad market appeal.

Thanks again to everyone for an interesting discusion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy Richards
Scotland
Allanton
Duns
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, so I suppose my next question would be, what makes this SF politics, rather than the Eu or the UN or somesuch actual body - assuming you wouldn't be able to get permission to use Star Trek for the flavour. I obviously don't just mean "use wormholes to get to the council chamber" or whatever.

Not trying to poke holes by the way, just exploring the issue!

Ed
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Higdon
United States
madison
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I always wanted a simplified Republic Of Rome set in space. The players have to work together to save the Federation from internal and external threats while trying to further their own agenda at the same time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Belli
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
...my next question would be, what makes this SF politics

Another good question.

I think Keith answered this one in his comment!

Players would be dealing with alien life forms, strange creatures with special powers, and the occasional planet-eating destroyer.

This would be much more interesting (in my opinion) than watching Senator Cornpone from Illinois get his dairy bill passed so he can get two extra delegates at the convention.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy Richards
Scotland
Allanton
Duns
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, alien creatures with strange powers would be nice, especially if you could bribe them to do things to alter what was going on, or hide behind them to explain your dodgy actions (I voted against the Alien Boondoggle Appropriation Bill? I must have been hypnotised!).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Belli
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I voted against the Alien Boondoggle Appropriation Bill? I must have been hypnotised!

thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Belli
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Seems to me that the best way to design a game is to not tie it down to a particular licence too early. That way, you increase the number of potential publishers.

thumbsup

Right!

Decisions made at the beginning of the design process have a lasting effect on the game. One stumble early on and several months worth of playtesting can be vaporized like a Tribble tm hit by a Photon Torpedo tm.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.