Popular Tags: [View All]
Badger
England
London
Enfield
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've submitted a few session reports, and all except one have been approved. I'm not sure why that one was so different from the rest, but it's up to the mods to decide. So, I was wondering what people look for in session reports, or if there's anything that they really don't want to see.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
ok and here's HOW I would 'write' for one using "Puerto Rico" as the example: 1st of all, I accusingly glare over at the "n00b" to my left and I lead out with MY "Tallyman" BUT then this "n00b" goes for a 6 'roll' to get the "TerrorTurtle"! and 'sics' `em upon poor:
Spoiler (click to reveal)
Michael Barnes

so's the poorer 'sap' can't even "scratch a dingo through a wicket!" and now he perplexedly stacks his 'indentured servants'
Spoiler (click to reveal)
actually SLAVES!
to await the harvesting for the "Poignant Glean". When the "Moons of Meepzorp over My Hammy" were being observed, then NOBODY is able to 'score' on any "Walkabouts & Wombat Watches When Wascally Wabbits Wampage!"
"Poignant Glean"
is rendered from: zombiezombiezombie
gulp
The End.
surprise
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Badger
England
London
Enfield
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd approve that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Bah Doo
Netherlands
flag msg tools
badge
Stop touching me!
mbmbmbmbmb
GROGnads wrote:

... snipped for sanity ...

My eyes are bleeding!! angry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Christopher
United States
Salem
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
In the wonderful game, Bonaparte at Marengo, this is how to get nasty Frenchies out of a village.
mbmbmbmbmb
Badgeroonie wrote:
I've submitted a few session reports, and all except one have been approved. I'm not sure why that one was so different from the rest, but it's up to the mods to decide. So, I was wondering what people look for in session reports, or if there's anything that they really don't want to see.

Your AAR of the first Squad Leader scenario is along the lines of what I like to see in session reports (note, I'm not a modder, just an occasional session report writer and avid reader of same); detailed enough to get the flow of the game. For wargames especially, a picture or two helps but isn't necessary.

If it helps, my favorites of my own (and that got me a decent share of GG) are:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/364085
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/330143
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/141592

(Edited to correct typos.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Gottesman
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've written a dozen session reports and have had them all approved. Now, I enjoy writing, so I put a lot of detail in them, and even so I find it more difficult to write them on certain games then others. I believe (and this may or may not be true) that a catchy title helps, and as others have stated, giving either details on how the game progressed, a tactic you hadn't noticed before, creating a sense of drama and pictures all can help. I've had as few as 1.4 GG for a session report, which was always my shortest one, to as much as 2.9, which was on one where I gave a turn by turn description of what happened.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Choubi Gogs
France
flag msg tools
badge
My avatar is from the chilren's game Monster Mash
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry if I'm out of line but since this thread is about improving our session reports...

My last session report on Princes of Florence got 0 thumbs...

Since I used the same format a My imperial session report that got 8 thumbs, I was wondering what I did wrong on this one (I also assume that it is not due to a lack of visibility since the game is Princes of Florence...

So, can you guys help me figure out what I did wrong in this session report, so that I can improve and write better ones next time?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Gottesman
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Choubi wrote:
Sorry if I'm out of line but since this thread is about improving our session reports...

My last session report on Princes of Florence got 0 thumbs...

Since I used the same format a My imperial session report that got 8 thumbs, I was wondering what I did wrong on this one (I also assume that it is not due to a lack of visibility since the game is Princes of Florence...

So, can you guys help me figure out what I did wrong in this session report, so that I can improve and write better ones next time?

I agree that lack of visibility is likely not the issue with PoF, and sometimes I think that a lot of SRs can cut down readership. My earlier SRs on Dominion had many more views than my last one. Whether it was topic or just too many Dominion SRs, I don't know. I just do the best I can with each one, and hope that people appreciate them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Homo Ludens
Canada
St. Albert
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pictures, people, use pictures! I have this theory that if you add at least one picture to your session report you will get on average a GG more for it from the mods.

And pictures are not padding. They add some important visuals that I think are appreciated by the reader.

It's hard to predict what will earn thumbs. Obscure games generally fail to get much interest. A title that makes people curious to at least have a look at your writing is useful.

I don't think I've ever earned more than about 3.8 or 3.9 GG for a session report, but I keep trying.

Good luck
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Christopher
United States
Salem
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
In the wonderful game, Bonaparte at Marengo, this is how to get nasty Frenchies out of a village.
mbmbmbmbmb
Yah, 3.8 GG was the most for me, and as you say, that one was filled with pictures, giving a play-by-play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.