Roberto Di Meglio
Italy
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry if I took so long to reply on this subject!

First of all, the pre-order by Phalanx on this item was closed because we asked them to do so, not because the product is sold out.

The information that Phalanx used to solicit the order was preliminary and not guaranteed to be accurate, both in terms of the price and the release date.

The pre-orders will be opened again, in Germany and everywhere else, as soon as the information on price and release date becomes 100% certain.

There will definitely be an English edition, as well as a German edition.

Other possible editions, unconfirmed to this date, include Italian, French and Spanish.

I will not post an official release date until I can make it a certain date (within a reasonable approximation).
At this moment, I can only say it won't be earlier than april 2009, and our hope is to have it no later than summer 2009.

In any case the game is something real, we are working on it, and it will see the light of the day.

Regarding the production value of this item, there was a lot of debate after we introduced some of the elements to the public in Essen.

Based on the feedback we received, we are reviewing the color schemes of the figures. Initially we wanted to play it safe, in terms of achieving a prototype which can be industrially replicated, faithful to certain guidelines on the color schemes, and with figures which may be clearly identified from each other.

Looking at the final result, we agree that it may be improved in several ways, and we will do so.
In any case, remember that this is an industrial production on 25 mm high figures, so of course a master painter with a labor of love will achieve better results than we possibly can - but for anybody who does not have such skills, I think what we will offer in the end will be very satisfying.

We also think that the painted figures are just a part of the value of this item - we see a value in the game itself and its value as a collectible; this is way we took significant energy to encase it in a box which would showcase this.
We were happy to see that - mostly - the labour we put in creating a beautiful box (which was designed by master artisans in Florence) has been appreciated, and we have found ways to replicate its looks well in the context of the final production of the game.

As told before, we are also working to improve the other graphical components of the game.

As we told before, we expect the final release price of the game to be about Euro 200 / $ 250. However the price is not final yet and it will be final only when announced.

We expect the game to be available in very limited quantity. Each copy will be individually numbered, and the game will never be reprinted again in the same version.

I hope this should answer most questions, until we are really, really, ready.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Kendall
United States
Lebanon
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you, Roberto, for providing reliable information. It's encouraging to hear about future availability and also of your willingness to absorb the constructive criticism from Essen, even though I'm sure it was somewhat disappointing to you, and to strive for further improvement.

This information is very helpful in planning for 2009 acquisitions/budgeting.

Will all English editions also be pre-order, or will quantities be available through distributors to retailers? The latter process was used for "Settlers" Anniversary Edition, and made all the difference in giving folks like me time and opportunity to purchase.

Your point about the overall package, rather than just painted miniatures, is well taken and should be kept in mind.

Good luck with the project. Looking forward to more information down the road.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Shaw
United States
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the update...looks like I'll be spending a LOT Of money in 2009.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Walkingshaw
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yay! Thank you very much for the update, Roberto!

For whatever it's worth, I liked the minis. But I also think it's admirable and good that you are listening and responding to the criticism.

Very much looking forward to a release date!

sauron
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim O'Neill (Established 1949)
Scotland
Motherwell
Graduate of Barlinnie
flag msg tools
VENI, VIDI, VISA - my reaction on entering my FLGS.
badge
Like a good red wine, I improve with age... and being laid.
mbmbmbmbmb
Roberto,

Thank you very much for the update.

Whilst I realise that this is a work of passion and you wish to see it through before looking at any spin-offs, I would dearly love to know if, at some stage in the distant future, there would be any thought given to releasing the enhanced board or the box on its own for the benefit of miniature painters like myself who have devoted some considerable time, love and effort on the excellent figures?

With kindest regards,

Jim
Est. 1949

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Meighan
United States
Manahawkin
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Despite the present economy, I have put aside funds specifically for this product.

I am eagerly awaiting this release.

Thanks for the update.

-One Wolf
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
oneilljgf wrote:
Whilst I realise that this is a work of passion and you wish to see it through before looking at any spin-offs, I would dearly love to know if, at some stage in the distant future, there would be any thought given to the releasing the enhanced board or the box on its own for the benefit of miniature painters like myself who have devoted some considerable time, love and effort on the figures?

It sounds unlikely. Miniature painters like yourself could buy the game and then sell the figures on Ebay.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Chapman
United States
Powhatan
Virginia
flag msg tools
Axis & Allies Developer and Playtester; War of the Ring Editor and Playtester
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, Roberto! I'm really looking forward to this!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Johnson
United States
Chester
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
oneilljgf wrote:
Roberto,
I would dearly love to know if, at some stage in the distant future, there would be any thought given to releasing the enhanced board or the box on its own for the benefit of miniature painters like myself who have devoted some considerable time, love and effort on the excellent figures?

Ditto that. I'd prefer to buy the game minus the minis and save money, but I seriously doubt that will be an option. So it looks like I'll be paying about $357 for a board, a box and a little figure of Gollum... Yikes!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregg Prendergast
United States
Newton
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Roberto,

It would be a HUGE help to all of us if you could let us know which online companies will be selling the collectors edition (if known) so we can keep an eye on their sites for pre-orders. As it stands, all we know is that, in April or so, the game will be out there "somewhere".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
steph Deneuch
Switzerland
flag msg tools
mbmb
Roberto....

Please tell me there will be a french version
PLEASEEEE........ :-(

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scotland
Motherwell
Graduate of Barlinnie
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
steph de neuch wrote:
Roberto....

Oui,

The figures will be painted in Blue, White and Red.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
steph Deneuch
Switzerland
flag msg tools
mbmb
oneilljgf wrote:
steph de neuch wrote:
Roberto....

Oui,

It's not funny at all :angry:

:):D

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scotland
Motherwell
Graduate of Barlinnie
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
steph de neuch wrote:
oneilljgf wrote:
steph de neuch wrote:
Roberto....

Oui,

It's not funny at all angry

Steph,

Consider yourself lucky, in my Scottish version the figures are all blue with wee white crosses on them.

Joyeuse Noel Et Bonne Annee A Tous Et A Toute! And keep smiling!

Jim
Est. 1949

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Delahunt
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Roberto,

Thanks for the update. Do you have any info regarding another expansion? :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
LC
United States
Florissant
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Do you have an idea on the print run numbers? I.e., is this something that will be sold out in the pre-order stage?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh

Sydney
NSW
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for the excellent update! It's great new to hear that the color scheme is being redone, as that was the only issue I had with the Essen version... I will be pre-ordering the English edition the moment it becomes available.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Hancock
United States
Charleston
West Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Please take my money.... seriously as soon as you know give us the URL where we can pre-order and it will be checked daily.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Chapman
United States
Powhatan
Virginia
flag msg tools
Axis & Allies Developer and Playtester; War of the Ring Editor and Playtester
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It will contain the expansion to the base game, but not the Rohan and Gondor campaign games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Randy Weston - The Spirits of Our Ancestors
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
HauRuck wrote:
What are these? They don't appear to have entries here.

See War of the Ring: Battles of the Third Age, which contains the two battles plus extensions to the base campaign game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
HauRuck wrote:
So if you only owned the collectors edition what would you be missing then? Is it only paper scenarios I could download elsewhere or are there any bits involved?

There's a great deal involved, beginning with mapboards. You'll definitely need the expansion if you want to play the Rohan and Gondor battles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Wojtaszczyk
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome news. I run the event at the WBC, so am hoping it is ready by early summer so I can get a copy and have it to advertise the game.

Once a distributor website is listed, definitely let us know. As I'm lined up for pre-ordering when it becomes available. :-)

Posting that info in this message thread would be a bonus too, for anyone getting an email when this thread is updated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Rose
United States
Walnut Creek
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm sure if there was any new news it would have been posted, but it never hurts to ask.

I have been following this version for some time now. The only positive thing about the delay in a release is that I've been putting money away for at least a year, so the funds are available when it finally does come out.

So...any new news?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ciaran McCann
United Kingdom
Belfast
Nothern Ireland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi everybody

I think they should have gone down this road

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/246227

Focus on MAIN character figures and make them better but keep cost down and have more room and eaiser setup/movement.
Anyway I've never even play this yet (see below) so just a thought from looking and reading this site.

Quick Blog (is that the correct term?)

Just joined up.
Thinking of buying this game; the standard edition that is.
Never played any of these games before.
Have stumbled across all this "designer" "Euro" "German" game stuff totally by accident but they look BRILL!!!
Always wanted to play Warhammer but envoles to much time, money and to many rules and my partner will NOT play it.
This looks IDEAL as it has a board and managable rules (as far as I can tell and I've loved LotR since I was a kid.
I'm really excited about all these different games.
Seems like theres something for everyone and any occassion;
wargames
tile laying games
card games
Minitures games etc etc
Never knew they all existed
To get me started and to get a cross section of different types of these games I'm looking at;
A Carcassonne game probably The Castle (I'll be playing these games mainly with my girlfried)
War of the Ring (this one!?!)
Lord of the Rings (Riener Knizia) (just got it on ebay for £10 in total!!)
Battlelore (a lighter wargame with fun stuff by the looks of it)
Lost Cities (quick and easy to learn)
That should get me started on the road to discovering these types of games!!!
Bye Bye Monoploy!!!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome, Kihon. Sounds like you've got some good games lined up.

Kihon wrote:
War of the Ring (this one!?!)

Yeah, this is the one you want. It can be tough to learn though, especially if you're not used to reading rules. You might see if you can find somebody in your area to teach it to you. If not, you can always get help by posting here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.