Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pre-game
5p game
Me and then p2 through p5 in clockwise order.

Truth be told, at the time, I’d much rather play something else. Sure I bought Guillotine, even though the game we were playing was using someone else’s copy, but it becomes one of those syndromes where it’s a game you wouldn’t want to play all the time, especially since it’s easier for you to play since you own it. Furthermore, another group actively plays this, so another play was feeling like overdoing it. There were no other games to form so I figured just suck it up. It is a quick game.

Game hilights
DAY 1
--We probably should’ve chosen who goes first BEFORE we lined up the nobles, because Maria Antoinette was first in line. Through a neutral 3rd party, the person who guessed the number closest was p2, so he went first.
--I took Mario Antoinette from his pile with an action card
--At one point, I had nothing better to do… Manipulating the line still got me the same 2pts, so I played Military Might in the hopes I’d get a few red nobles to reap the +1 pt per red noble bonus
--In order to avoid collected unwanted nobles, various action cards that randomly rearranged the line were used. Overall, to positive affects.

DAY 2
--Pretty standard “day” AFAI can remember.
--2nd day, Robespierre was the last noble in line, so no one got cheated out of any nobles.

DAY 3
--It’s like all the gray nobles decided to show up all at once
--Someone played Extra Cart to add 3 nobles to the end of the line. A gray noble got added. Overall, it wasn’t enough to dilute the line out of the negative score status.
--What’s worse than getting stuck with negative valued nobles is probably getting stuck with choices. I had to dish out The Clown to a player, worth -2 pts. Looking around, we were all pretty much even, so after much deliberation, p3 volunteered to take it. Most noble, pun withstanding, but it was actually a clever sneak play. He got to have the last turn in the game and used Indifferent Public (“put this card in front of you. Any GRAY nobles in front of you are worth 1 points”) to wrangle that Clown into a 3 point swing (from -2 to +1). That gave p3 the win.

End game
me: 15
p2: 15-ish
p3: 17
p4: 13
p5: 15

I had my fair share of high and low scoring heads. Unfortunately, not one red noble to make my Military Might worth the while.
P3 had only one Palace Guard
Despite having 2 Palace Guards, p4’s score was mostly from that.
P4 also had only one Palace Guard

It was a nice game overall in where we all came pretty close. Often, there are extreme ranges, at times with the lower end in the negatives. It was half an hour I would never get back, but I was glad I joined the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon M
United States
Branchburg
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When someone offers to take a card that hurts them, you should realize that something is fishy.

That was a risky move though. If someone picked up on the trick and had the right action card(s), the game could have ended earlier or P3 could have lost the Indifferent Public card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mugs wrote:
When someone offers to take a card that hurts them, you should realize that something is fishy.

That was a risky move though. If someone picked up on the trick and had the right action card(s), the game could have ended earlier or P3 could have lost the Indifferent Public card.
Could you elaborate on that? Are you saying someone who knew about that could've ended the game before I had the chance to dish out the Clown?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon M
United States
Branchburg
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ackmondual wrote:
mugs wrote:

Could you elaborate on that? Are you saying someone who knew about that could've ended the game before I had the chance to dish out the Clown?

No no, it was risky for p3 to play it that way. You said he played Indifferent Public on the last turn of the game. If he hadn't gotten to take that last turn (e.g. because someone played an action that let them take two cards, or end the turn, etc) he wouldn't have turned that -2 into a 1 and he would have lost.

Or he could have lost Indifferent Public if someone had a card that allowed them to take a card from someone else's hand, or force another player to discard action cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.