culver city
CA
flag msg tools
Check out my class: https://www.canvas.net/courses/game-design-concepts
badge
How are you today?
mbmbmbmbmb
Under the description of El Capitan, it says that:

* new rule for the loan cards (not allowed in the first turn)

I cannot find this in the rules, does anyone know where in the rules that loans cannot be taken on first turn. Taking loans on first turn was a strategy in Tycoon

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Page six of the pdf rules (unmarked, probably pg 5 of the actual rules, page starts with "Re-opening of a shut down warehouse")

Quote:
After taking the loan the player places the card face up in front of herself showing the amount of the loan and then receives the money from the bank. When it is her turn again, she may remain on the bank space and take another loan or she has to sail to a city using a destination card.

Please note: If a player does not want to erect a building during her turn or is not able to do so she must sail with her ship to the harbor space of the bank and is forced to take a loan. No sailing card is required for such a journey. Loans cannot be taken during the first round of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Sohn
United States
culver city
CA
flag msg tools
Check out my class: https://www.canvas.net/courses/game-design-concepts
badge
How are you today?
mbmbmbmbmb
Take a loan
A player wanting to take a loan has ...
Please note: If a player does not want ...
Loans cannot be taken during the first round of the game.

--El Capitán English rulebook, p6, middle of right column, below the picture of the two loan cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Crocker
United States
Westland
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So let me get this straight. At the begining of my first TURN , which is also the begining of my ROUND, I'll want to pay the destination card cost to get my ship on the board. When play retuns to me after the other players have taken their 1st action(s), it is now the 2nd ROUND of the 1st TURN and now I may go directly to the bank to take out a loan, if I so desire?

In other words, the only time I cannot go to the bank, is on my first action of the game? (Phase 1, round 1, turn 1). Correct?

Considering that a Phase consists of several rounds, and each round consists of each player taking a turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Montero
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I'll take Manhattan in a garbage bag. With Latin written on it that says "It's hard to give a shit these days"
mbmbmbmbmb
Crockerdile wrote:
So let me get this straight. At the begining of my first TURN , which is also the begining of my ROUND, I'll want to pay the destination card cost to get my ship on the board. When play retuns to me after the other players have taken their 1st action(s), it is now the 2nd ROUND of the 1st TURN and now I may go directly to the bank to take out a loan, if I so desire?

In other words, the only time I cannot go to the bank, is on my first action of the game? (Phase 1, round 1, turn 1). Correct?

Considering that a Phase consists of several rounds, and each round consists of each player taking a turn.

Yep. If we couldn't get a loan in the first phase, we'd all be broke before it finishes.

The rule makes good sense though: Since players don't start the game with enough money to place all their warehouses before the first round of payouts, everyone is expected to go visit the bank at least once. Going in the first turn seems like a very good idea: You don't have to spend a card to move away from the bank. and get to see where everyone else is playing. I see how the game could end up having every single person going to the bank in their first turn, creating what, for all intents and purposes, would be the equivalent of giving a loan to every player at the start of the game, making the first round moot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Crocker
United States
Westland
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's the way I figured it. I can almost guarantee that if I made going to the bank my 2nd action of the 1st phase, someone is going to challenge me about it. Players are going to confuse the terms... Phase, Round, & Turn. I just want to cut the "rules lawyers" off, before the arguement starts.

Teaching the game, I guess I'll say, "Each phase consists of a number of rounds, where each player takes a turn. You may not go to the bank on your first turn of the game." This seems a little more precise, than the rulebok's wording.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Tuxford
Australia
Wollongong
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So basically the run of play is:

Round 1 - buy a card then move onto the board. Possibly buy warehouses at the destination.

Round 2 - move to bank and take out loan.

Round 3 - either (a) buy a card and move or (b) take out another loan.

After this your on your own!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.