Popular Tags: [View All]
Wayne Hitchcock
Taiwan
Tanzih
Taichung County
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The one thing I've discovered I really hate about designing a game is writing the rules. Oh, I can make up rules without any problem, but getting them out of my head and on paper is about as much fun as a root canal.

As such, something is needed to light a fire under my arse. This is it. Every day I have to post a snippet of rules here in this thread. They may or may not be in any kind of order. No matter - it will help me get all the rules on paper (only half of them are so far), give you folks some insight into the game, and perhaps allow me to get the FAQ out of the way, too.

So, without any further ado, here's the first installment....

Canada

Introduction

Canada is a game for three players that follows the history of Canada from Confederation (July 1, 1867) to the end of the Second World War (August 15, 1945).

In the game each player assumes the role of a political party vying for power. During the game players will have to win elections, prosecute wars, dodge historical events, and bring new provinces into Confederation

Object of The Game

The object of the game is for the players to gain more points than their opponents. Points are given to players accordingly for each card in their playing areas at game's end, and for each election they win.

1.0 Set Up

1.1 Remove the four original provinces of Confederation from the deck. The four original provinces of Confederation are: Ontario, Quebec, New Brunswick, and Nova Scotia. Place these provinces in the middle of the general playing area.

1.2 Remove the British Garrison card from the deck and place it with the four original provinces of Confederation.

1.3 Remove all the Prime Minister cards from the deck.
Shuffle the Prime Minister cards and stack them face down in the general playing area.

1.4 Remove all the war cards from the deck.

Stack the war cards face down next to the Prime Minister cards in the following order with Red River Rebellion at the top and Second World War at the bottom:

Red River Rebellion
Northwest Rebellion
South African War
First World War
Second World War

1.5 Remove all the legislation cards from the deck.

Place (do not stack) the legislation cards face down to one side of the general playing area.

1.6 At this point there should only be event cards left in the deck.
Shuffle the event cards and place them face down next to the war cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Self Appointed Senator of Good Ideas
Other-South Pacific
Coming Soon
Castle GreySkull
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Two significant parts of Canadian History/ Culture should be included:

1. The Quebec/ Frenchman Whine Rule:

Everytime the player representing Quebec or the french Whine, they should be given something from the government. As well, whenever they feel it is appropriate, let them make up there own rules.

2. The East Coast Handout Rule:

Players representing the east coast get a government handout whenever required. This could be in the form of money, special programs, tax exemptions, special jobs for the game, whatever they feel is appropriate.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DancesWithBeagles wrote:
Canada: Rules

Yes, yes it does. cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Earles
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
quentin1 wrote:
2. The East Coast Handout Rule

Need I remind you that Newfoundland will be a "Have" province next year, and Ontario will be a "Have Not". Quebec receives a HUGE chunk of equalization payments each year. Maybe this should be the "Central Canada Handout Rule"?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Hanley
Canada
Dorval
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
quentin1 wrote:

Everytime the player representing Quebec or the french Whine, they should be given something from the government. As well, whenever they feel it is appropriate, let them make up there own rules.

Players representing the east coast get a government handout whenever required. This could be in the form of money, special programs, tax exemptions, special jobs for the game, whatever they feel is appropriate.

Great job, Quentin! You managed to insult half the country and make Albertans look like intolerant morons, all in one post.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Japhy Sullivan
Canada
flag msg tools
[q="DancesWithBeagles"]The one thing I've discovered I really hate about designing a game is writing the rules. Oh, I can make up rules without any problem, but getting them out of my head and on paper is about as much fun as a root canal.

I know how you feel...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh beagle-dancer, will this be a print-and-play game? Maybe I'm paranoid (who's that behind me?) but putting all the rule out there might be tempting.

OTOH, the concept sounds cool. I don't know enough about Canada or its history so playing something based on it would have the nice side benefit of being informative.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Self Appointed Senator of Good Ideas
Other-South Pacific
Coming Soon
Castle GreySkull
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
quardlepleen wrote:
quentin1 wrote:

Great job, Quentin! You managed to insult half the country and make Albertans look like intolerant morons, all in one post.

I was born and raised in Quebec!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wayne Hitchcock
Taiwan
Tanzih
Taichung County
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I respect everyone's right to voice their political opinions, even when they differ from my own. However, this is a thread about a game, so I'm asking that all who post here stick to the topic. Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wayne Hitchcock
Taiwan
Tanzih
Taichung County
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
wifwendell wrote:
Oh beagle-dancer, will this be a print-and-play game? Maybe I'm paranoid (who's that behind me?) but putting all the rule out there might be tempting.

OTOH, the concept sounds cool. I don't know enough about Canada or its history so playing something based on it would have the nice side benefit of being informative.

I'm not too worried about the idea being ripped-off. Do a BGG search on the word Canada and you'll understand why.

Having explored the various options for bringing it to market, I've decided print-and-play to be the most cost efficient. Otherwise, printing and warehousing services in Canada, or postage from Taiwan may price it beyond what people are willing to pay.

The idea came to me back during the Pokemon frenzy. At the time there were stories in the media about how little Canadians knew about Canada, and there were stories about how CCGs were becoming more and more popular among youths. I put the two of them together and came up with the idea of trading cards with a Canadian theme. However, the image of two kids arguing about how many Mackenzie Bowells equal one Wilfred Laurier was too big a stretch of the imagination even for me. So, I filed it away in the back of my head where it remained until a couple years ago when I finally began working on it in earnest.

Interestingly enough, there have once again been stories in the media about how little Canadians know about Canada. According to one story I read in the National Post last week, over 70% of Canadians believe one of the following:

Canada is a representative republic
The Prime Minister is the head of state
The Governor General is the head of state

Canada is a constitutional monarchy. In fact, the Fathers of Confederation wanted to call it the Kingdom of Canada, but the British didn't like that idea, so they settled on the Dominion of Canada (gotta keep those colonials in their place.)

The British monarch is Canada's head of state. The Governor General is the monarch's representative in Canada.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Hanley
Canada
Dorval
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
quentin1 wrote:
quardlepleen wrote:
quentin1 wrote:

I was born and raised in Quebec!

Et tu, Brute?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Cherry
Canada
North Bay
Ontario
flag msg tools
Obligitory Smart-Ass Comment Here
badge
Shhhhhhhh!
mbmbmbmbmb
quardlepleen wrote:

I lived there for 11 years. They're anything but intolerant. They've TOLERATED every prime minister the east has elected.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wayne Hitchcock
Taiwan
Tanzih
Taichung County
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Since this thread has been hijacked, it's now dead as far as I'm concerned. In future anyone who wishes to know anything about the game CANADA will have to geek mail me. I don't think I will be posting anything more about it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mb
Thread locked at the request of the thread's author.

-MMM

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.