United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
This is my tank for Combat Commander
mbmbmbmbmb
FWIW...

I really like the card stock used for the CC:E decks. They feel like quality bridge cards and shuffle nicely using any standard technique.

The cards in CC are about 20% heavier and are quite resistant to bending. This makes them pretty hard to shuffle well using a riffle shuffle. They are amenable to a Faro shuffle when held upside down, but the whole deck is pretty slippery and rather bulky with the 72 cards. Often, when cards get this heavy, they are prone to picking up nicks along the edge before they start showing normal wear.

So, maybe returning to the slightly lighter card stock for the next iteration?

Anyhow, just my $0.02.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Smith
United States
Newark
California
flag msg tools
badge
IGNITION - bringing enlightenment where once all was dark
mbmbmbmbmb
Yea, I really hate it when game companies use higher quality more durable components, darn them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Swan
Australia
Randwick
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JaggedTech wrote:
Yea, I really hate it when game companies use higher quality more durable components, darn them.

Well "quality" means fitness for purpose, so if someone finds thicker cards hard to shuffle, I can see how they would perceive them as being of lower quality than thinner cards that are easy to shuffle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim P
United States
Sterling Heights
Michigan
flag msg tools
Glück muss man haben
badge
But what I do have are a very particular set of skills, skills I have acquired over a very long career. Skills that make me a nightmare for people like you… And I will beat you.
mbmbmbmbmb
JaggedTech wrote:

Heavier card stock doesn't automatically mean Better or Higher Quality. The nicking of cards in a card driven game is a big issue. If a card is uniquely marked due to nicking or battle damage from shuffling then your opponent my pick this up and know what is in your hand.

Also, I use the plastic protector sleeves, as many others do too, that come with their own storage boxes. These boxes only hold 72 cards in sleeves, if the cards are much thicker then we might not be able to fit all 72 in one box. This may require purchasing additional boxes that hold more cards. An extra expense

I am still waiting for my copy of CC so I will have to wait to see what the difference really means to the game. This is still the best WW2 game being produced today, so these will be minor issues to deal with to have a great playing game.

My 2 cents too.
Jim P cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chick Lewis
United States
Claremont
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Drake, how did you get your hands on CC ?? I am way jealous.

Chick

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Smith
United States
Newark
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
The nicking of cards in a card driven game is a big issue. If a card is uniquely marked due to nicking or battle damage from shuffling then your opponent my pick this up and know what is in your hand

Wow, if my opponent is close enough to see the nicks, it better be because she is leaning over to give me a kiss.

Quote:
This may require purchasing additional boxes that hold more cards. An extra expense

I know, it is just like when I bought robo rally. I had to buy an extra box to protect the robot figures when I painted them, and it won't even fit in the original game box. Damn them and their higher quality stuff!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drake Coker
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JaggedTech wrote:

Thicker cards aren't automatically more durable. At times, they can be less so! More prone to nicks or wrinkling due to riffle shuffling.

For most cards, the wear and tear happens on the image first, not on the actual card stock.

In any case, I thought the card stock for CC:E cards was great. Similar to good quality playing cards. The CC cards feel like a tiny step backwards.

Not a big deal... like I said, just my $0.02.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drake Coker
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chicklewis wrote:
Drake, how did you get your hands on CC ?? I am way jealous.

Chick

It came in the mail with the Stalingrad pack! Maybe they filled the orders backwards, since my pre-order was relatively late :/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pardoe
United States
flag msg tools
badge
GMT ships pre-orders alphabetically. So that A isn't advantaged each time, they start at differing places in the alphabet with each shipment. Looks like this one is starting at B or C....

PS - Mine arrived today, so moving pretty quick through the alphabet

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buetow
United States
McHenry
Illinois
flag msg tools
Combat Commander Archivist
badge
Move! Advance! Fire! Rout! Recover! Artillery Denied! Artillery Request! Command Confusion...say what?!
mbmbmbmbmb
RPardoe wrote:
GMT ships pre-orders alphabetically. So that A isn't advantaged each time, they start at differing places in the alphabet with each shipment. Looks like this one is starting at B or C....

They sure did!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Wong
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RPardoe wrote:

Maybe A isn't advantaged each time, but it sure appears that W is disadvantaged each time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Green
United States
Alameda
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Olvenskol wrote:
FWIW...

The cards in CC are about 20% heavier and are quite resistant to bending. This makes them pretty hard to shuffle well using a riffle shuffle.

(this is tongue-in-cheek) Maybe you need to hit the gym...IRON
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buetow
United States
McHenry
Illinois
flag msg tools
Combat Commander Archivist
badge
Move! Advance! Fire! Rout! Recover! Artillery Denied! Artillery Request! Command Confusion...say what?!
mbmbmbmbmb
saxophone wrote:
RPardoe wrote:

Maybe A isn't advantaged each time, but it sure appears that W is disadvantaged each time.

I guess that's the "tanks" you get for being a faithful customer!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chick Lewis
United States
Claremont
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Agree completely with Olvenskol, the stiff, unresponsive 'dead'-feeling cards are a HUGE DE-PROVEMENT over the previous decks and a big disappointment. Everything else about the production values is first-rate.

Chick
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Smith
United States
Newark
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, so I've been joking around above. Maybe I needed to put 's. However, I do own the game, and I have played with the cards. They are thicker, but I found that they riffled Ok (although I did have to put more muscle in it to get a bend and a good riffle than I would with a thinner deck). I can’t really speak on the nicking or wrinkling issue. I didn't experience any nicking or wrinkling, but I also did not play extensively with the cards un-sleeved. Since I generally play with sleeves, both the thickness and nicking are really a non-issue for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.