Popular Tags: [View All]
Doug Orleans
United States
Somerville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
This has been asked here before, but I couldn't find an answer that sounded definitive (has anyone gotten an official answer from HSV or FFG?):

If you say "veni, vidi, vici" during a turn, but then by the end of the turn you no longer have enough victory conditions (because you lost the temporary favor of the gods and/or you spent too much denarii), what happens? If no one else has said "veni, vidi, vici", does the game continue, or do you win? If someone else has said it, but you have more points, who wins?

In my opinion, it makes more sense to say that you must continue to have enough victory conditions at the end of the turn to qualify for winning, and if no one does, the game continues. But I don't have a strong argument for why this is better, and I can't parse the English FFG rules as leaning one way or another either.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mik Svellov
Denmark
Copenhagen N
EU
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Saying "veni, vidi, vici" is not what triggers the end game. It is fulfilling the victory conditions.

The game ends at the end of the round during which a player fulfills the criteria. Even if that player no longer fulfills the criteria when the round has ended.

Official answer below.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Orleans
United States
Somerville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Great Dane wrote:
Saying "veni, vidi, vici" is not what triggers the end game. It is fulfilling the victory conditions.

They are equivalent, no?

Quote:
The game ends at the end of the round during which a player fulfills the criteria. Even if that player no longer fulfills the criteria when the round has ended.

Since you've played with the designer, I'm guessing that was his intent. Do you know if this is explicit in the published German edition rules?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mik Svellov
Denmark
Copenhagen N
EU
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, I have now received the final and official answer from the designer:

The rules are written in a way that can misunderstood.

The game will only end if a player fulfills the victory conditions at the end of a round.

So a player that fulfills the winning criteria during a round may feel proud - but he will only qualify for winning if he is still fulfilling the criteria at the end of the round. And the game game will continue until at least one player fulfills the winning conditions at the end of a round.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Orleans
United States
Somerville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you! I'm glad to have that cleared up, and I'm glad that it agrees with my intuition.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Thornsen
United States
Nottingham
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
A follow-up question:

Who would receive the 2 VP bonus for "Ending the game" in the following scenario?

Assume a 2 player game with 4 victory conditions required.
1. Player A has 3/4 Conditions and only need a few more denari to satisfy
2. Player B has 3/4 Conditions and only needs a faction marker to satisfy
3. During Worker Placement, Player A collects denari, says "vini vidi vici" to trigger the end.
4. Later in the turn, Player A spends denari, losing the victory condition.
5. During Faction takeover, Player B gets his last faction marker and says "vini vidi vici"
6. Later in the turn, Player A re-gains enough denari to satisfy the victory conditions again.

Who gets the 2 VP bonus?

What about in the case where a player says "vini vidi vici", but at the end of the round nobody has satisfied the conditions? The game will continue one more turn but who will get the 2 VP bonus?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Loc Nguyen
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Player A for initiating end game. If A doesn't regain the VC and there is a tie between B and C, then neither B nor C would get it.

2. I'd would believe the first person to say "veni, vidi, vici" the following round for triggering the real end game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasta Batman
United States
Tustin
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
Da L0C wrote:
2. I'd would believe the first person to say "veni, vidi, vici" the following round for triggering the real end game.

If we are to take the rules literally, I would disagree. They say 'First Player to fulfill Victory Objectives', not 'First Player to fulfill Victory Objectives and hold on to them', nor 'First Player to fullfill Victory Objectives on the last round'. It's only 2 points, which seems like a fitting reward for being first, whenever that occurs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.