♪ Isaäc Bickërstaff ♫
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Entropy Seminar:
badge
The results of a five yeer studee ntu the sekund lw uf thurmodynamiks aand itz inevibl fxt hon shewb rt nslpn raq liot.
mb
They recently outlawed the wearing of saggy pants that hang 3 inches or more below the hips, exposing underwear or skin:

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/breaking/story/418092.html

I can finally sleep at night again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Olson
Australia
Darlington
WA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I take it not much happens in Jasper?

The main problem with the baggy pants is crossing the road, when those guys have to move fast ... accidents happen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dickie Crickets
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No revealing of underwear or skin? Now what am I supposed to do at a rave, listen to the music? FUCK that.

Boo to Jasper and the County especially.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenneth Bailey
United States
Ypsilanti
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Flint Michigan has been doing this a while. Some people call it racist.

Apparently the origin is to simulate the weight you lose while in the joint. Boy, there's behavior to emulate. No wonder society is messed up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric "Shippy McShipperson" Mowrer
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Ami. Geek.
mbmbmbmbmb
mikoyan wrote:

Apparently the origin is to simulate the weight you lose while in the joint. Boy, there's behavior to emulate. No wonder society is messed up.

It is a little racist if they're not also banning knee high jack boots with white or red laces and, hair nets, flannels buttoned at the top button, etc. I may be a little behind the times on my perception of what juvenile delinquents wear these days, but you get the idea.

I don't have a problem with dress codes in school, but a community-wide ban is a bit excessive, especially if you're inconsistent about it.

Besides, I seriously doubt a group of thugs would let a little thing like a dress code stop them from coming up with some new way to identify themselves as hoodlums or even just "cool". They'll simply shift to something else that isn't against the code.

Edit: PS - I'll put 5 bucks on that "origin" being urban myth. My guess is the truth is more along the lines of it being easier to hide stuff in baggy pants. Or maybe somebody just thought it looked cool.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Amstutz
United States
Chula Vista
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
From what I've heard from those in the law enforcement community, they love the baggy pants style. Evidently, it's quite entertaining to watch a guy try to run from the cops, while holding his pants up with one hand.laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenneth Bailey
United States
Ypsilanti
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
ejmowrer wrote:

Edit: PS - I'll put 5 bucks on that "origin" being urban myth. My guess is the truth is more along the lines of it being easier to hide stuff in baggy pants. Or maybe somebody just thought it looked cool.

Given what certain styles of music and their videos try to emulate, I would wager pretty good money that it's the origin of the baggy pants style.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Deckard
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mikoyan wrote:

It did originate in prison, but it was due to the fact that belts are not issued in prison (to prevent hangings) and the clothes oftentimes don't fit properly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anye Freer
United States
Frisco
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
People who dress like that look like idiots, but banning it is stupid.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.