CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
We truly attract them. I was at my FLGS yesterday looking for new goodies, and there was this odd fellow talking to the employees. He was going on and on about this comic book character and that comic book character, and how it was silly that Captain America did some kind of non-canon activity in some series or that. And this guy, he would just not shut up. On and on he went, while the guys at the front counter did everything possible to show that they were ignoring him. He was really loud too, as if what he was saying had to be heard by the whole store.

I felt kind of sad. This guy was just probably lonely, and didn't have a venue of social interaction, so he grabbed onto this captive audience.

Of course all I could think of is "please don't focus on me and come over here".

But I notice this a lot in the various FLGS's I frequent. There's always one in the store. I sure don't miss working in that environment anymore.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
If Actions Speak Louder Than Words, Then Actions x2 Speak Louder Than Actions
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
One of the Original Twelve
mbmbmbmbmb
Rogues Gallery?

If so, that dude is the Cliff of the joint. He's always there and he's always going.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
joebelanger wrote:
Rogues Gallery?

If so, that dude is the Cliff of the joint. He's always there and he's always going.

This time it was Dragons Lair, but yes, I think I have heard that guy at RG!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Like you said. They're everywhere.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Crane
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They need an online community where they can interact with their peers.

I ran into a guy at a local shop last week and what struck me as odd was not that he was nerdy but that he was stereotypically nerdy, in a sort of sitcom-ish, mildly Urkel sort of way. Actually, that wasn't the exact stereotype but it's the closest I can recall. Ok, wait--I just remembered. He was the spitting likeness, behaviorally, of the odd neighbor on Monk--the guy who won a fortune in the lottery and lost it again.

This got me thinking that there are some consistent "nerd" behaviors that show up on TV, and I'm starting to wonder if there isn't something cognitive going on, not just cultural. I have a son with Asperger's so I think about this a little too much, probably.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
mbmbmbmbmb
Heck,

I've got one in my Gaming group. Oh, but it's his medical problems we;ve got to hear about cry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Follow me for wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
The local game store.

You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villiany.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Sadler
United States
Olney
Maryland
flag msg tools
From the Halls of Montezuma...
badge
...to the Shores of Tripoli...
mbmbmbmbmb
I drone on and on about the current war and whatever war I happen to be reading about. God forbid anyone actually just want to play Successors III. I used to hate these obnoxious gamer types arguing about which Green Lantern is the best until I made the startling realization that I was one of them. That does not mean I will ever stop explaining Zimmerit to people or the arcane history of the Middle East, but I will give people a turn to rattle on about how the Fantastic Four movies miss the basic spirit of the comics, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wiles
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BeatPosse wrote:
arguing about which Green Lantern is the best

When will people realize that Hal beats every other Lantern, hands down?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Schultz
United States
Bear
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The first Fantastic Four movie is great.

That show 'Big Bang Theory' nails it right on the head. There are guys EXACTLY like that at both of the game stores I frequent...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dwayne Hendrickson
United States
Oklahoma City
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
He may not beat them "Hands" down, perhaps he uses a different part of his anatomy?
http://green-lantern-butts-forever.blogspot.com/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wiles
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
okiedokie wrote:
He may not beat them "Hands" down, perhaps he uses a different part of his anatomy?
http://green-lantern-butts-forever.blogspot.com/

gulp
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jeffwiles wrote:
BeatPosse wrote:
arguing about which Green Lantern is the best

When will people realize that Hal beats every other Lantern, hands down?

I agree, but Kyle's got some nice duds. Guy's a fag (and not in a way that's derogatory to homos, in a "what a doofus" sort).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Society of Watchers
United States
Killbuck
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:
We truly attract them.

How can you tell the difference from the rest of us? Or how often do people think the same thing about us when we're going on about something that to us seems really important and so we're on our soapbox about it and no one else can give a flying fig about it?

Something to ponder.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hunga Dunga
Canada
Coquitlam
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
craniac wrote:

The only problem is that it's not really "interaction" - it's all one-way communication.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:
We truly attract them. I was at my FLGS yesterday looking for new goodies, and there was this odd fellow talking to the employees. He was going on and on about this comic book character and that comic book character, and how it was silly that Captain America did some kind of non-canon activity in some series or that. And this guy, he would just not shut up. On and on he went, while the guys at the front counter did everything possible to show that they were ignoring him. He was really loud too, as if what he was saying had to be heard by the whole store.

I felt kind of sad. This guy was just probably lonely, and didn't have a venue of social interaction, so he grabbed onto this captive audience.

Of course all I could think of is "please don't focus on me and come over here".

But I notice this a lot in the various FLGS's I frequent. There's always one in the store. I sure don't miss working in that environment anymore.

Actually, I find it kind of sad really, The poor guy lives in his nerdy comic-book world which is obviously very important to him. He probably doesn't really interact well or much with his peers or colleagues. And yes, he has a captive audience that might be part of his world and he goes all out!! He probably doesn't have a lot of people to talk to about his hobby and when he finds one...........well!!!

Annoying, yeah, but still sad!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Crane
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was out with my wife last night, and basically said,

"Ok, this is of no interest to you but I think it's cool so lemme tell you about it quickly. There's this designer on boardgamegeek who just got back into gaming 2.5 years ago, and since then he's already coming about with a published game that looks really great. I'm totally impressed by people who just DO stuff like that."

True geekery begins when you don't, or can't, acknowledge that what you are droning on about is of no interest to the other person. Social intelligence begins when you either relate the story to the other person or don't tell it in the first place. So oddball=lack of empathy + socially unpopular hobbies + strange mannerisms and/or hygeine problems.

I think it's a curable condition.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mileser wrote:
MWChapel wrote:
We truly attract them.

How can you tell the difference from the rest of us? Or how often do people think the same thing about us when we're going on about something that to us seems really important and so we're on our soapbox about it and no one else can give a flying fig about it?

Something to ponder.

Never. In a social situation or in a public venue, most of us understand when the time is inappropriate, and that we aren't talking "with" people, we are talking "to" people.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Crane
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hungadunga wrote:
craniac wrote:
The only problem is that it's not really "interaction" - it's all one-way communication.

That was just a sly reference to boardgamegeek. Point made, carry on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ferejohn
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
Pitying fools as hard as I can...
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:
mileser wrote:
MWChapel wrote:
We truly attract them.

Something to ponder.

Never. In a social situation or in a public venue, most of us understand when the time is inappropriate, and that we aren't talking "with" people, we are talking "to" people.

I think you mean talking "at" people.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Society of Watchers
United States
Killbuck
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:
mileser wrote:
MWChapel wrote:
We truly attract them.

Something to ponder.

OK. You're right. Ive seen them too and played with them. Oy! There sure have been times when I see someone's eyes start to glaze over and I realize it's time to close my mouth or change subjects.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cferejohn wrote:

I think you mean talking "at" people.

Exactly!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J A
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
Why is it acceptable for gamers/geeks to harp on about anything?

If someone is talking incessantly about random crap than I have no interest in, they're told where to go, regardless of whether 'what' they are.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph T
United States
Signal Hill
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like Asperger's.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mbmbmbmbmb
ralpher wrote:
Sounds like Asperger's.

Agreed, especially this characteristic of AS as per wikipedia:
"Unlike those with autism, people with AS are not usually withdrawn around others; they approach others, even if awkwardly, for example by engaging in a one-sided, long-winded speech about a favorite topic while misunderstanding or not recognizing the listener's feelings or reactions, such as need for privacy or haste to leave. This social awkwardness has been called "active but odd"."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.