Kyle
United States
Up Nort' Der
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
VAST: The...
badge
We must move forward, not backward, upward, not forward, and always twirling, twirling, twirling towards freedom!
mbmbmbmbmb
Crisis Cards

1) One of the Cylon attack crisis cards (Surprise Attack, I think?) has the special rule that no Vipers are used in the setup. When that card is revealed do you have to return all Vipers in space to the hangar, or does it simply mean that no new ones are added to any that are already on the board? (I'm assuming the latter, but if that is correct why is that a special rule? No Vipers are listed in the setup step or shown in the picture, so having a special rule that explicitly states there are none seems unnecessarily redundant.)

Character Abilities

2) Apollo’s negative ability says that when you’re forced to discard skill card cards you must do it randomly. Does this also apply when discarding down to the hand limit at the end of a turn, or is it only meant to apply when forced to discard because of a specific effect (Food Shortage, the Cylon "sickbay" loyalty card, etc.)?

3) Can Apollo’s CAG ability be chained with his Alert Viper Pilot ability?
For example, if he uses the CAG ability to launch/activate five Vipers can he launch himself in the sixth and then immediately take an action via his Alert ability?
Alternately, if he jumps into a Viper during another player’s turn, can he use the free action to activate his CAG ability?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mark sellmeyer
United States
st louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
on that crisis card, you just don't add any vipers in the setup, not send pre-existing vipers back in the hanger. It's special because every other cylon reinforcement card adds vipers as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
United States
Up Nort' Der
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
VAST: The...
badge
We must move forward, not backward, upward, not forward, and always twirling, twirling, twirling towards freedom!
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the quick reply!
SouthernMan wrote:
2) We play you simply do what the card says, so discarding down to 10 is a discard so is done randomly.
I agree. It seems a little harsh, but I suppose it just gives a little more incentive to use up any excess skill cards during your turn to avoid losing anything really important.

(Or, if you're a Cylon it could be a good way to "accidentally" ditch some cards that would be valuable to the humans.)
Quote:
3) You may only perform 1 action in your turn - so if you have used your action to use his CAG ability then you shouldn't really have an action available to battle.

And I don't think you can play an action outside of your turn, unless you are the recipient of someone using a particular green card on you (can't remember what it's called).
I don't think either of those restrictions apply because the Alert Viper Pilot ability specifically says you get to take one action after choosing to pilot the Viper.

Plus, one of the options when activating a Viper is to launch one from the reserves, which *should* trigger his primary ability regardless of when or how it happens.

----------------
Added, for reference:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Niezelski
United States
Seymour
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1) No, the special rule is just reiterating the fact shown on the little map that you don't put out any vipers during the setup of the attack. I'm not sure why it's on there either, except maybe because all other attacks have a "Special" clause.

2) Whenever you discard, it is random (for Apollo). Discarding down to 10 cards to meet the hand limit restriction is still discarding, so still random.

3) Yeah, the chaining works. The "Alert" ability does not use an action.

[edit] Yikes, talk about getting ninjad. That's what I get for posting at work, I guess.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Sweeney

Sanford
Florida
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One thing I've considered, is that Lee's "Alert Viper Pilot" ability doesn't specifically say "when an unmanned Viper is placed in space from the reserves...". It just says he can choose to pilot a Viper when it is placed from the reserves (whether someone else is trying to fly it or not). Seems that Lee could jump in the cockpit and steal a ride from another pilot who was attempting to launch. This could be a great play to frak over the fleet if Lee was the cylon, or could help get him into space ahead of another pilot of questionable loyalty, or could let another pilot slingshot him out of sickbay, or could be used in conjunction with an Executive Order played on another pilot to achieve a double pilot launch in one turn. Pretty uber.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cactus god
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The answers look good, but just to reiterate the point about number 1

Yes, thats exactly why they put that special rule on the bottom. Just about every card (if not every card) has one and no vipers is potentially just as horrible as any other special rule.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.