Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
29 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: $170 budget . . . looking for game suggestions for Junior High Church Youth Group rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul Thomas
United States
Alma
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The title says it all . . .

Please provide game recommendations that you would feel would be proper for junior high students (grades 6-9) in a church youth group.

I've got money to spend, and it needs to be spent by Dec. 23rd!

Look forward to hearing your suggestions!

PT
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J A
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
I'd recommend getting a few of the 'gateway' games, such as Carcassone, Alhambra and Ticket to Ride (you may want to also get the Ticket to Ride 1910 expansion).

Each of these games are easily explained and provide different challenges.

Additional you may be interested in Pandemic, which should still be age appropriate and provide a basis for teamwork. Admittedly the game is tough and you're not always guaranteed a win, which can be difficult for some.

Happy game purchasing!

- Jon
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Baxter
United States
Denham Springs
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Without knowing anything about your group (what games have they played before, have they ever played euros, do they go more for casual games or for "heavy" games, etc.) I'd recommend the following (in no particular order):

San Juan
Settlers of Catan
Carcasonne
Pitchcar
Scotland Yard
Great Dalmuti
Tichu
Ticket to Ride
Transamerica
Citadels
Through the Desert
Blokus
Ra
Betrayal at House on the Hill
Ingenious
Fearsome Floors
Manhattan
Bohnanza
Werewolf

All of the above are good gateway games and none should be all that difficult to play (as opposed to something like Die Macher or Dak 2). Many of them look great and are not that difficult to explain. Good luck in finding what you need and I hope your church youth groups game sessions go well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JP LaChance
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1) Wits & Wagers yea it has a bit of a "gambling aspect" to it but it plays so well with large groups I think it is a must have.

2) Jamaica A quick racing game that plays up to 6 players, excellent "gateway game"

3) Ticket to Ride A must have gateway game

4) Lost Cities or maybe Keltis You need a 2-player game and this is one of the best.

5) Carcassonne or maybe better The Ark of the Covenant You need a "tile laying game" that is easy to learn and teach.

How does that sound? Over budget?
If not yet.... ADD a few card games

For Sale a good bidding auction card game

Bohnanza A very fun trading game

Shadows over Camelot How about a Co-op game about the forces of good and evil. or Pandemic a Co-op where you need to "save the world"

Best of luck

Jon

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris C.
United States
Goshen
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
"Somewhere over the rainbow..."
mbmbmbmbmb
Spin the Bottle is cheap!

sorrydevil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Heckle Jekyll
United States
Knox
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Can't go wrong with these basic games:

Ticket to Ride

Ingenious

Catan

No Thanks!

For Sale

Carcassonne

Blokus 3D

Modern Art

O Zoo le Mio

Say Anything

Bohnanza

Santiago [This is a favorite of mine so I had to list it.]

I'd also consider any of the GIPF series. http://www.boardgamegeek.com/wiki/page/project_GIPF#

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Lee
United States
East Meadow
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If the library isn't already established, I'd suggest a nice chess/checkers/backgammon set should be in the mix. The classics shouldn't be ignored, and these sets aren't usually too expensive for a decent set.

I'd recommend Witch's Brew as a good game for this age range (just be warned that it may get loud) as long as the subject matter won't be a problem.

Same caveat for Dawn Under which is a good memory game with vampires.

In addition to some of the suggestions made already.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My suggestions:

Shadows over Camelot

Heroscape---a couple of base sets and maybe a few of the marvel edition that can be had for cheap right now.

Memoir '44 Overlord

Killer Bunnies

Wits and Wagers

Ticket to Ride

Of course, it also depends upon mix of boys and girls, too--or how many. Some games to include more players--like Wits and Wagers or Incan Gold can be good, quick, easy games with alot of talking and few rules.

Maybe adding electronic Catch Phrase on amazon right now for sale--and get free shipping with some of the express games on sale--like Clue Express and Yahtzee Free for All.

Boys that age like Killer Bunnies and don't mind the drawbacks of the game at all!

If quite a few girls, possibly Winner's Circle--b/c it has horses...but it may not work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Van Zandt
United States
South Ogden
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
PlayTMG.com
mbmbmbmbmb
bohnanza and apples to apples for their tame theme and that they accommodate a larger than normal number of players.

pandemic for being co-op.

blockus, hive, and the various gigamic and gipf games also for their tameness.

after that, probably whatever's easy to teach... the other various gateway games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
truekid wrote:
bohnanza and apples to apples for their tame theme and that they accommodate a larger than normal number of players.

pandemic for being co-op.

blockus, hive, and the various gigamic and gipf games also for their tameness.

after that, probably whatever's easy to teach... the other various gateway games.

I'd second Bohnanza and Apples to Apples
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Weckermann
Canada
Powell River
British Coumbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
On the religious end i am trying to get a hold of a copy of The Journeys of Paul. My research has lead me to feel this is a game, with good components, map, theme, and re play. Can be found on ebay for just around $25. Other than that a new Race game Leader 1, for up to 10 players, a bike race game, should be able to get it for $40. You could get and old game like Speed Circuit cheaper car race game, ebay bid of $15 should get you one. The rest of the list will look like everyone else ahead of me. I do recommend getting the 1910 cards for Ticket to ride, the cards in game are too small, 1910 corrects this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay I
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The age group you are talking about is 11-15. Most of the heavier and more complex games have an age rating of 12-14. So, I wouldn't be afraid to add one or two heavier games. I tried to pick games with a length of about an hour or less. I got most prices from boardsnbits.com

$16 Scrabble - Everyone knows how to play it, and it's good for the non-"gamers"

$20 Chess/checkers set

$19 San Juan - This is probably about a medium weight game for the age group, and I have played it with kids in that range

$40 Shadows over Camelot - As suggested above, this is a good co-op game, and should be a hit with the age group

$33 Memoir 44 - Good and relatively light 2 player war game

$28 Stone Age - I haven't played this, but looked at getting it for a 12 year old I know, and it seemed to be a good choice

$08 Werewolves of Miller's Hollow - I haven't played this, but from what I have read, it seems like it would be nice for a big group. Plus, it's inexpensive.

$19 Carcassonne - Fairly simple and easy to learn game

$155 Total That leaves some room for tax and shipping.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Bourgeois
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Would it be wrong of me to suggest Cash and Guns?

You could buy all sorts of weapons in the Dollar Store.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mbourgeois wrote:

Cash and Guns would be GREAT! The only potential problem for church youth group (from my experience--so no flame wars, etc) is not the guns, but some of the skimpy dressing of the women and the alcohol, actually. But here's a way around it---make paste ups of the Star Wars Cash and Gun version to use instead. Bobba Fett, Han Solo...the gang would all be there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Teacher Fletcher
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I recommend Playing Gods: The Board Game of Divine Domination.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JP LaChance
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Merkles Boner wrote:
mbourgeois wrote:

Cash and Guns would be GREAT! The only potential problem for church youth group (from my experience--so no flame wars, etc) is not the guns, but some of the skimpy dressing of the women and the alcohol, actually. But here's a way around it---make paste ups of the Star Wars Cash and Gun version to use instead. Bobba Fett, Han Solo...the gang would all be there.

excellent idea!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Amstutz
United States
Chula Vista
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The T-Shirt Game
It's not a well-known game, but we've found that our church youth love it. The object is to match t-shirt cartoons with funny captions. It plays very similar to Apples to Apples, so it's easy to learn and play. It's also on the less expensive side, which is helpful. And, any of what might be considered "objectional" parts can just be left out, w/o affecting the game in any way.

Of course, we've also had our youth group play Grass, but that's another story.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Somerton
Australia
North Ryde - Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
Duplicitous!
badge
I don't play to win - I play for enjoyment and social interaction.
mbmbmbmbmb
Saboteur is a great game for a largish group. My kids love it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daryl Wilks
United States
Peshastin
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
"Love one another."
mbmbmbmbmb
Jr. High students, like gamers, tend to be a diverse lot - so I recommend a diverse set of games. Some kids will never play anything heavier than Apples to Apples, whereas you may be able to connect with certain kids over a Saturday-long game of Twilight Imperium (Third Edition). You will want things from party games up to epic games. In my experience, these are some of the games that have appealed to Jr high kids:

Party Games:
Jungle Speed (incredibly popular)
Pit
Apples to Apples there is also Apples to Apples: Bible Edition

Abstract Games:
Blokus or Blokus Trigon

Lighter Games:
Cloud 9

Medium/Gateway Games:

Ticket to Ride
Catan
World of Warcraft: The Adventure Game

Semi-heavy/Complex Games:
Race for the Galaxy
Nexus Ops

Epic Games
StarCraft: The Board Game
Conquest of the Empire

My Must-Haves Recommendations
Jungle Speed ($15)
Pit ($8)
Blokus ($23)
Catan ($34)
Pandemic ($25)
Nexus Ops ($32)
Race for the Galaxy ($25)
This comes to about $170 at Thoughthammer.com and should hit a broad range of kids and settings.
I'd like to throw in an epic game like Starcraft or TI:3 but that will devour half or more of your budget (especially TI:3 with the needed expansion).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sue Hemberger

Washington
Dist of Columbia
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As an alternative to Apples to Apples, check out Hit or Miss or 25 Words or Less: People, Places and Things Edition. Both are party games that don't rely on trivia, and, to me, both are better games than Apples to Apples -- less likely to cause bickering, and more likely to reward communication and/or trying to figure out how other people think. Great skills to focus on at this age.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Kotarski
United States
Flint
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
These have been a hit with my youth group:

Hoopla (and it's cooperative)
Apples to Apples(there is a Bible edition too)
Phase 10

With varying degrees of success and smaller groups I've tried:
Catan
Ticket to Ride
Carcassonne
Ligretto

I picked these up recently to try:
Pandemic (this one has great potential with a small group of kids)
The Werewolves of Miller's Hollow (I think this is going to go over well based on my experience with Mafia, visit www.mafiacards.com for a set with a slightly less dark theme if that's a concern)

Good luck. Have fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow!! Lots of great suggestions already!!

However, I don't see any DEXTERITY games listed except for the almost impossible to find, sold out almost everywhere Sorry! Sliders.

I'd suggest Hula Hippos or its retheme - Hula Hippos.

Gamewright makes inexpensive fun card games that are readily available at Target for around $5.00.

I also like Aquarius which is dominoes-like.

How about DIY or PNP? If you or someone you know has time and is good with their hands there are lots of options for good games that can be made with a little money and some time investment. Also, some are quick to make and you could have several sets of the same game.

Some notable ones:
Micropul
Hive and Hive: The Mosquito (many different options in the BGG files)
Coloretto
Hey, That's My Fish! - can also be made using poker chips!!

I would also suggest thrifting where you can find cheap chess, checker, backgammon, dominoes, & cribbage sets. You'll also find tons of Trivial Pursuits as well.

Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Goss
United States
Buhler
Kansas
flag msg tools
Two of my favorites still in print...The Journeys of Paul and Champions of Faith
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Herron
United States
Johnson City
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Never play block wargames with a dentist, they have those little mirrors to peek behind the block.
mbmbmbmbmb
Someone at our church had brought to the youth group a copy of The Ungame some time ago and it ended up getting moved out of the youth area to a seldom used room, then tossed. DON'T GET IT! yuk
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Thomas
United States
Alma
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks everybody . . . I'll go through the lists and order this weekend!

PT
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.